The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:01am
I miss being on the floor

I Was Embarrassed Last Night

Freshman Girls A/B doubleheader. Should have been an easy night, right?

It was for the most part...but my partner very nearly got us in some hot....no boiling....water.

Final minute of the A game Team A up by 1. Team B fouls, A has a 1-and-1. I'm the lead, administering the free throw. Coach B is saying repeatedly to his team "Rebound, timeout". So I bounce the ball to A1, and she goes through her routine, and shoots, WHISTLE, shot goes in.

I look at my partner and he's waving off the shot. I didn't see anyone in the lane early, so needless to say I was very confused. He tells everyone that Blue called timeout. He told Coach A that he thought B coach was calling a timeout, and that the request came before the shooter had received the ball from me. It still baffles me as to why he blew his whistle when he did...If I had the chance to speak freely on the floor he would have gotten an earful. It didn't sound to me like he wanted a timeout until after his girls got the rebound.

LUCKILY, A1 bailed us out and made the first of the 1-and-1 after the timeout and made the 2nd. I say luckily because B1 hit a buzzer beater 3 to send it to overtime that otherwise would have been the game winner.

Here's my questions about the situation. Should I have said uh, partner, I don't think he wanted a timeout there, ruled inadvertent whistle, counted the free throw, and proceeded with the second?

OR...I know that once you grant a timeout request, the timeout must be administered, but does that apply only to cases where Team B calls timeout when they aren't in control? If that's the case, should we have counted the first free throw and resumed play with the second FT?

I know, this stuff only happens during Freshman Girl's games. I was embarrassed with how the situation was handled, even though it wasn't my whistle. We're a team, and we look good or bad as a team.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's what the coach gets for trying to request it early.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

You may be being too harsh on your partner. Maybe all he heard was "Timeout", not "Rebound. Timeout". If he truly did want a timeout and you didn't give it to him, he'd be livid. It doesn't seem all that embarrassing the way you told it. Like Snaqs said - he shouldn't say "Timeout" until he wants one, or if he does, he should make sure the official closest to him is aware he wants a timeout on a miss. This is more on the coach than your partner.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
So I bounce the ball to A1, and she goes through her routine, and shoots, WHISTLE, shot goes in.
Ball is released before the IW, score it.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Ball is released before the IW, score it.
But if the partner heard the timeout request before the shot was released, then the whistle has nothing to do with it.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
But if the partner heard the timeout request before the shot was released, then the whistle has nothing to do with it.
Oh okay...
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:33am
Keeper of the HAMMER

For all your partner knows, the coach wanted to ice the shooter.

Yeah, he should have whistled sooner, and that's an issue, but it's not a huge issue.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:35am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
Freshman Girls A/B doubleheader. Should have been an easy night, right?

It was for the most part...but my partner very nearly got us in some hot....no boiling....water.

Final minute of the A game Team A up by 1. Team B fouls, A has a 1-and-1. I'm the lead, administering the free throw. Coach B is saying repeatedly to his team "Rebound, timeout". So I bounce the ball to A1, and she goes through her routine, and shoots, WHISTLE, shot goes in.

I look at my partner and he's waving off the shot. I didn't see anyone in the lane early, so needless to say I was very confused. He tells everyone that Blue called timeout. He told Coach A that he thought B coach was calling a timeout, and that the request came before the shooter had received the ball from me. It still baffles me as to why he blew his whistle when he did...If I had the chance to speak freely on the floor he would have gotten an earful. It didn't sound to me like he wanted a timeout until after his girls got the rebound.

LUCKILY, A1 bailed us out and made the first of the 1-and-1 after the timeout and made the 2nd. I say luckily because B1 hit a buzzer beater 3 to send it to overtime that otherwise would have been the game winner.

Here's my questions about the situation. Should I have said uh, partner, I don't think he wanted a timeout there, ruled inadvertent whistle, counted the free throw, and proceeded with the second?

OR...I know that once you grant a timeout request, the timeout must be administered, but does that apply only to cases where Team B calls timeout when they aren't in control? If that's the case, should we have counted the first free throw and resumed play with the second FT?

I know, this stuff only happens during Freshman Girl's games. I was embarrassed with how the situation was handled, even though it wasn't my whistle. We're a team, and we look good or bad as a team.
Maybe the Trail's name is Rebound?

Since players can request timeouts, the coach could have been giving instructions to his team. We should not act on an instruction like that. If I heard "rebounds, timeout", I would interpret it as the sequence of events that the coach wants, and not grant a timeout during the FT.

A timeout request is not "rebound, timeout", just like it's not "foul, timeout" or "violation, timeout" or other.

You could easily go with an IW and not proceed with the timeout, giving A1 her first FT. Yes, this is icing the shooter a bit, but there's not much you can do about that.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Just noticed that it was Coach B who wanted the timeout as A1 is at the line.

Ooops.

OK that one is a tad embarrassing.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That's what the coach gets for trying to request it early.
Yup, maybe better awareness, but I understand how it happened.

Edit......oops also. B trying to get timeout.

Last edited by fullor30; Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 12:04pm.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

If I hear "timeout" at a valid time, he/she gets a timeout unless he/she clearly prefixes it with some words that make it clear that it is not a request.

If I hear "rebound, timeout", they're probably getting a timeout. If I hear, "if we get a rebound, timeout", not.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 02:17pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
If I hear "rebound, timeout", they're probably getting a timeout. If I hear, "if we get a rebound, timeout", not.
I'm not sure what the distinction is between these two scenarios. Can you clarify your reasoning?

I've had coaches give me the "I want a timeout if we get the rebound" when I'm trail on a FT attempt, and I've granted them the timeout if, in fact, they get the rebound. Why wouldn't/shouldn't I?

I did have one coach get mad at me for not granting him a timeout when I was trail near his bench and he was behind me yelling "Thirty.... Thirty..... Thirty". As I explained to him later: "Coach, I thought you were giving your team a play call. If you want a timeout, say 'timeout'".
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 02:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
I'm not sure what the distinction is between these two scenarios. Can you clarify your reasoning?

I've had coaches give me the "I want a timeout if we get the rebound" when I'm trail on a FT attempt, and I've granted them the timeout if, in fact, they get the rebound. Why wouldn't/shouldn't I?

I did have one coach get mad at me for not granting him a timeout when I was trail near his bench and he was behind me yelling "Thirty.... Thirty..... Thirty". As I explained to him later: "Coach, I thought you were giving your team a play call. If you want a timeout, say 'timeout'".
Chances are, I'd know what he meant, but there's no guarantee. Coaches shouldn't assume we'll know what they mean when they're leaving significant words unspoken.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

When I'm asked for timeouts in advance, I just ask them to give a visual once they have control.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 02:57pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Chances are, I'd know what he meant, but there's no guarantee. Coaches shouldn't assume we'll know what they mean when they're leaving significant words unspoken.
In the OP, it seems that the Coach was telling his players what to do, not talking to the officials at all...

Also, to stiffler3492 - why would this embarrass you? I get the fact that your partner screwed up, but I don't know anyone who has ever called a perfect game. Mistakes happen - deal with it and move on. If I am the one that screws up, I am embarrassed, but if it's my partner? That doesn't embarrass me at all. We will all learn from it together.