The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:09am
certified Hot Mom tester

This came up last night

We had our season ending annual meeting of our local kids rec league Board last night. One of the things we do is discuss situations that came up during the season. In one game (I think 6th grade boys) both the coach and the AC were ejected (no, it wasn't my game, darn it). Our rule is that the game can continue if one of the parents comes down and sits on the bench for the rest of the game. We don't want to take playing time away from the kids just because the adults act like jerks. This has happened about once every 4 or 5 years, so it's not too common.

One of the guys at the meeting asked what the NF rule would be if both the head coach and the AC were ejected. Could the trainer or someone else take over? What's the rule?

BTW - we voted to take coaching privileges away from two guys because of problems we had with them this past season. Believe me, the problems with these guys were pretty serious for us to do something like that regarding volunteer parents.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:19am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
BTW - we voted to take coaching privileges away from two guys because of problems we had with them this past season. Believe me, the problems with these guys were pretty serious for us to do something like that regarding volunteer parents.
And, unfortunately, if your league is anything like one of our Rec Leagues here, you almost have no choice but to take the coaches back again next year due to the dearth of volunteers. Shame.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:25am
Esteemed Participant

Washington State had the same situation happen - in a State tournament Championship game!! It was about 10 years ago, and the AC picks up a T in the second quarter. HC picks up a T in the third (his team was down by 20+ at the time), and then at the end of the third, the AC picks up his second and the third in the combo on the HC!! Both are ejected. Game is delayed while the school's Girls HC comes down out of the stands at the Tacoma Dome, and he finishes coaching the game!!

Oh, and the "star" player for the team picked up two T's and was tossed, and so was his Mom who was allowed to sit at the end of the table as the team's scorekeeper.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We had our season ending annual meeting of our local kids rec league Board last night. One of the things we do is discuss situations that came up during the season. In one game (I think 6th grade boys) both the coach and the AC were ejected (no, it wasn't my game, darn it). Our rule is that the game can continue if one of the parents comes down and sits on the bench for the rest of the game. We don't want to take playing time away from the kids just because the adults act like jerks. This has happened about once every 4 or 5 years, so it's not too common.

One of the guys at the meeting asked what the NF rule would be if both the head coach and the AC were ejected. Could the trainer or someone else take over? What's the rule?

In Iowa, if the HC and AC are ejected from the contest, the contest is terminated unless the school can provide another adult that has their coaching certification. I don't know whether that's a FED rule or just Iowa but the responsible party must have their coaching certification. I've had this situation occur many years ago in baseball and someone in the stands had his certification and we continued with the game. At that time I was told that if they say they have their certification, you allow it. (It's not a requirement to see the actual certificate) However, the official should obtain their name and phone number so when the report is written, you can pass all liability onto them (God forbid something happens). If they turn out to not be certified, it's on the school.

-Josh
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:47am
Ref Ump Welsch

Don't have my books here, but I don't think there's actually a rule in the book that would cover it. There are references to "responsible adult" in several areas, for example, an ejected player should not be sent to the locker room without a responsible adult (and if I'm wrong, I apologize profusely). I think it would have to go state by state on how it's handled. Of course, that would vary quite a bit, depending on the qualifications to coach in each state, etc. etc.

By the way Josh, Iowa requires either a teacher's certificate or a coach's certificate. In Nebraska, it's a teacher's certificate. In Nebraska, non-teachers can coach by getting a teacher's certificate that is a provisional trades certificate. Don't even ask. I think it's the utmost ridiculous thing I've ever heard of, lumping coaching wannabes in with the guys who teach automotive or woodshop.
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Actually, the NFHS does NOT require a team to have a coach at all. Of course, a team is permitted to have one if desired. Therefore, one will not find an NFHS rule regarding who can take over when the coach(es) are disqualified.

Any such rule is definitely under the auspices of the state association or local league/school district.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 08:03am
MABO Member

In FIBA the Captain takes over the role of Coach when there is no HC or AC available.

That said however, High school policy is there must be an adult on the bench supervising the students. So the game is forfeited if no coaches/school reps. are available.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 01:05am
(Something hilarious)

CA Rule

Received this response from state CIF office when I posed that question two years ago:

Quote:
There is a CIF rule,

308. SUPERVISION REQUIREMENT

No CIF team shall participate in interscholastic or approved competition with any other team unless the CIF team is under

supervision as required by the California Code of Regulations Title V or Bylaw 506.B.

Of course that would mean in any sport the coach must be present for the competition. In basketball that would mean that a coach must be on the bench. If a coach is ejected and there is not assistance coach and no administrator present, the game should be ended and forfeited to the other team.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 04:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Actually, the NFHS does NOT require a team to have a coach at all. Of course, a team is permitted to have one if desired. Therefore, one will not find an NFHS rule regarding who can take over when the coach(es) are disqualified.

Any such rule is definitely under the auspices of the state association or local league/school district.
Nevada is correct, although I'm not aware of any state that allows participation without a coach. The requirements for the coach are set by the states as well.