The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 06:39am
M.A.S.H.

mid June, during summer ball (Legion)...

Alright, so I can't sing, but here's what happened in my wonderful night.

1st: Launched a player for saying: "That's f*ckin bull****, there's no way." On a strike three called, so long.

2nd: 1 on, 1 out, batter has a 3-2 count and steps out of the batter's box -- does not request time, so live ball. The pitcher gets a free pitch and completely misses, ball 4. Coach B then comes and talks with me and tells me he wants the player to be called out for being out of the batter's box. He claimed it was an automatic dead ball and the batter was out. I said no coach, I didn't think so, this would be true if he hit the ball fair or foul. He goes on to tell me that he is a licensed umpire and that I'm wrong.

3rd: Mid-innings, close play at the plate, I've got safe. Coach A comes out and tells me my call is bull*hit and that I'm blind. See ya coach, launched.

4th: Runners at 2nd and 3rd, 2 out. Batter-runner hits a single to left field, my partner ruled he missed first. A proper appeal was made he punches him out, 3 outs, no runs score. Only problem is, coaches from Team B think the run scores because the play had ended and then the appeal happened. So, the coach is all p*ssed, finally tells me this is bush league and he knows where this is coming from. Hell, my easiest ejection all night, accusing my partner and I of cheating -- see ya coach. Then one of those wonderful fans thinks he knows the rule and start hollering, etc, see ya dude. Of course, he thought he was going to stay and watch the game, but quickly he learned the game wasn't going to be completed until he left.

Interesting night, filled with the good old summer time blues! BTW, lucky the assignor was there, no compliants from him. No one there probably wants me to come back and work except him (luckly that's all that counts).
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

I can see you tossing the players and the coaches but I can't understand why you tossed the fan. I sort of made a pledge that I would never toss a fan unless it rose to the level that the fan could possibly cause a physical confrontation. I just can not recall ever watching a game on TV when Gerry Davis threw out a fan after he heckled him about a strike call. Fans are fans. They can say or think what they want. I just usually smile at them, or give them no reaction at all. Just completely pretend like you never heard them. Both these reactions usually ticks them off even more. Any one else out there agree or disagree?
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by bellsjc
...I sort of made a pledge...
Is that like "sort of" pregnant?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

The "sort of" was meant that if the action of fan caused a security risk I would of course break my pledge. DUGH!!
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can see you tossing the players and the coaches but I can't understand why you tossed the fan. I sort of made a pledge that I would never toss a fan unless it rose to the level that the fan could possibly cause a physical confrontation. I just can not recall ever watching a game on TV when Gerry Davis threw out a fan after he heckled him about a strike call. Fans are fans. They can say or think what they want. I just usually smile at them, or give them no reaction at all. Just completely pretend like you never heard them. Both these reactions usually ticks them off even more. Any one else out there agree or disagree?
Only 2 games I officiated in, that I remember being on TV in 20 yrs. Neither were baseball. Anyway, I agree that you should stay away from the fans in the stands however, sometimes even they must be asked to leave.

I am head to head with a coach discussing an issue at the plate. Fan behind backstop is yelling at the coach to hit me. Sorry Charlie, your going home. But it did end my heated discussion with the coach. Another time, a drunk father is encouraging his son to throw at the batters, from, behind the team bench. Sent home.

Sometimes, Man can not live by a smile alone. I'm sure HHH will stand by this.
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Another time, a drunk father is encouraging his son to throw at the batters, from, behind the team bench. Sent home.

As I said above, if there is a security risk or some kind of action that could cause some kind of physical or violent confrontation, I would ask the field administrator to remove the fan. I would not go anywhere near the fans or demostratively give a fan the heave-ho. I would quitely approach the home team's head coach and tell him that the game will not continue until HE arranged for the removal of the threatening fan. I would never throw out a fan because he called me a "blind bat who just wanted to get my money and go home."
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another time, a drunk father is encouraging his son to throw at the batters, from, behind the team bench. Sent home.

As I said above, if there is a security risk or some kind of action that could cause some kind of physical or violent confrontation, I would ask the field administrator to remove the fan. I would not go anywhere near the fans or demostratively give a fan the heave-ho. I would quitely approach the home team's head coach and tell him that the game will not continue until HE arranged for the removal of the threatening fan. I would never throw out a fan because he called me a "blind bat who just wanted to get my money and go home."
I agree.

Blind Bat
Old Fri Jun 10, 2005, 12:08pm
M.A.S.H.

I would agree, I usually leave fans alone. But whenever they start cussing at me, see ya.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
[B]2nd: 1 on, 1 out, batter has a 3-2 count and steps out of the batter's box -- does not request time, so live ball. The pitcher gets a free pitch and completely misses, ball 4.
You are much more generous than I here
Idont care if it goes over the backstop he walks out of the box the pitch is a strike
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by radwaste50
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
2nd: 1 on, 1 out, batter has a 3-2 count and steps out of the batter's box -- does not request time, so live ball. The pitcher gets a free pitch and completely misses, ball 4.

You are much more generous than I here
Idont care if it goes over the backstop he walks out of the box the pitch is a strike
Why???? Making up rules, are we?

OBR
(a) The batter shall take his position in the batter's box promptly when it is his time at bat. (b) The batter shall not leave his position in the batter's box after the pitcher comes to Set Position, or starts his windup. PENALTY: If the pitcher pitches, the umpire shall call "Ball" or "Strike," as the case may be.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Whoa be the player who offends mighty radwaste, for he shall invent rules to put said player in his place.

DAMN, I hate umpires that make up their own rules, especially in a case like this where they are doing it to puff out their chests.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

"You are much more generous than I here
Idont care if it goes over the backstop he walks out of the box the pitch is a strike"

Does this mean you charge a penalty strike or you don't care where the pitch is actually located you will still call it a strike?

This is interesting because we had a thread here last year on "can a batter swing at a pitch if that pitch is a 'directed pitch' by an umpire?"
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Rad,
Why would you call a strike if the pitch is not a strike?
His penalty is very clear - live ball, the pitch is what it is.
Are you " punishing " the batter for stepping out?
What if it is dust in his eyes, cramp, who knows?
Your statement sounded like no matter what, he gets the strike.
Just curious why you want to officiate in that manner.
I like to hear all reasoning when I read statements like the one you made.
Thanks.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

On the contrary, if this was a FED game, then Radwaste has called it by the rules. Pitches are automatically strikes in FED if the batter steps out without the umpire granting time and the pitcher delivers.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lyle
On the contrary, if this was a FED game, then Radwaste has called it by the rules. Pitches are automatically strikes in FED if the batter steps out without the umpire granting time and the pitcher delivers.
your right, if it WAS.

This was legion, OBR.