Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Terrible lack of awareness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEgn-...layer_embedded
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 06:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Shot Clock Violation ???

Maybe one of the officials thought that the ball nicked bottom of the rim? That's the only explanation that I can come up with.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 06:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Maybe one of the officials thought that the ball nicked bottom of the rim? That's the only explanation that I can come up with.
If so, they were terribly wrong.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

What's the rule here with no replay? I'm assuming not blowing the play dead when the shot clock expires is not a correctable error?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
What's the rule here with no replay? I'm assuming not blowing the play dead when the shot clock expires is not a correctable error?
Correct. If none of the officials knows what heppened, then what happened happens.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 10:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Perfect example of a game where the referees did play a huge impact on the outcome of the game.

If you're going to screw up, fine. Make it happen 3 minutes into the game. Not on the last play of the game to break a tie. Endings like this with play-off implications are what leads to lawsuits. And rightfully so, imho.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Perfect example of a game where the referees did play a huge impact on the outcome of the game.

If you're going to screw up, fine. Make it happen 3 minutes into the game. Not on the last play of the game to break a tie. Endings like this with play-off implications are what leads to lawsuits. And rightfully so, imho.
Rightful lawsuits? Really?!
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Yeah, I would like to see an example of just ONE of these lawsuits. That's a ridiculous comment.

That said, also a ridiculously bad example of officiating where none of the three realized that was a shot clock violation with that time/score situation. AWFUL!
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Yeah, I would like to see an example of just ONE of these lawsuits. That's a ridiculous comment.

That said, also a ridiculously bad example of officiating where none of the three realized that was a shot clock violation with that time/score situation. AWFUL!
Mostly that was on the C....they had the perfect angle to see that it fell short. The L should have had no idea. The T probably didn't have the angle to see if it clipped the front of the rim or not.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 12:25am
I miss being on the floor

That buzzer for the shot clock seems awfully quiet...even with an empty gym and the LED backboard lights, I suppose it's possible that the officials were so honed in on the ball, that they had no clue the shot clock went off.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Mostly that was on the C....they had the perfect angle to see that it fell short. The L should have had no idea. The T probably didn't have the angle to see if it clipped the front of the rim or not.
I'll disagree.

With that time and score everyone should have an idea IMO. And the ball was well short of the rim.

It was the C's primary but when she didnt have anything, one of the other two should have stepped up, especially with the advantage of having a backboard LED.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post

There was one back during the high school football season. A team had to win by so many points to make the playoffs. They were winning near the end of the game but not up by enough to make the playoffs.

They ran a pass play. There was a foul by the defense during the down and it was unclear whether the pass was complete or incomplete. Now there were only a few seconds remaining on the clock. The offense then sets up for like a 45 yard field goal. If they get the points they will make the playoffs. The referee starts the clock on the ready for play (which may or may not have been correct). The clock runs out before the ball is snapped.

Because there was a foul by the defense during the last timed down of the period then the game should have been extended by one down. The officials ruled the game over.

There was some type of lawsuit filed saying that this team should have been be placed into the playoffs. I guess they just assumed that the HS team's odds of kicking a 45 yard field goal was about 100%

The lawsuit ended up going nowhere even though the officials obviously misapplied a rule. Lawsuits over officials getting a call incorrect are even more crazy. I can't believe that anyone believes that suing is the correct way to solve anything.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
There was one back during the high school football season. A team had to win by so many points to make the playoffs. They were winning near the end of the game but not up by enough to make the playoffs.

They ran a pass play. There was a foul by the defense during the down and it was unclear whether the pass was complete or incomplete. Now there were only a few seconds remaining on the clock. The offense then sets up for like a 45 yard field goal. If they get the points they will make the playoffs. The referee starts the clock on the ready for play (which may or may not have been correct). The clock runs out before the ball is snapped.

Because there was a foul by the defense during the last timed down of the period then the game should have been extended by one down. The officials ruled the game over.

There was some type of lawsuit filed saying that this team should have been be placed into the playoffs. I guess they just assumed that the HS team's odds of kicking a 45 yard field goal was about 100%

The lawsuit ended up going nowhere even though the officials obviously misapplied a rule. Lawsuits over officials getting a call incorrect are even more crazy. I can't believe that anyone believes that suing is the correct way to solve anything.
That happened not too long ago, and the judge tossed the case.

Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 06:22am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Yup. In a case like this, I am in support of rules changes that permit a change to the last play of a game.

We all know that the last play of the game was officiated grossly wrong. Cancel the hoop and go to overtime.

If a rules change submission needs a lawsuit to give it some legs, then I'm in favour of that lawsuit.

I know the economy is tough right now, and that may be a mitigating factor in the ability to do so, but for a play like this, it is easily solved with replay. An HD camcorder hooked up to a video monitor is about $500 here in my area. Schools likely have a capable monitor anyways, so all that is needed now is an HD camcorder. If a school has an AV group, then they likely have a camcorder too.

And wasn't this an NCAA game? Washington U, as in University? Doesn't NCAA have replay? Or is that for D1 only?