The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the comments. Extremely helpful.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:45pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
You should thank your assignor. Why would you want to back there if he was a jerk?

There are plenty of officials better than you or me who have been scratched at schools at a much higher level.

Fuggetabowtit.
I know a State Final officials that was scratched from a school based on something that happened in the post season (which "full" already knows was not assigned by the conference) and he laughed about it. Guess what, he went back to that school in the post season the very next year. There is always justice for these kinds of jerks. The coach could not go running to the assignor about that situation.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:47pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Really? The best assigner I ever had was absolute in backing up his officials in tough spots - always. If an assigner doesn't have your back in tough situations, I don't want to be in that association.
Hey man, I'm right with you. My point was, there's more than one way for an assignor to have our back, IMO.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I know a State Final officials that was scratched from a school based on something that happened in the post season (which "full" already knows was not assigned by the conference) and he laughed about it. Guess what, he went back to that school in the post season the very next year. There is always justice for these kinds of jerks. The coach could not go running to the assignor about that situation.

Peace
Revenge is best served cold!

JR a coach up our way was in a habit of every time he lost a home game he'd try and scratch officials. Assignor finally told him he'd start sending soph refs as nobody was left.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

I assign and officiate so I think I know both sides.

First, if a school doesn't really want me, I don't want to go there. I have one school that I worked at for over 10 years and because I wouldn't dump a previously scheduled football date for one at that school, the AD has determined that I don't work there any longer. That's OK. My ethics mean more to me that one football, two basketball and one baseball game a year.

As an assigner, I will listen to an AD if they have concerns about an official. If their reasoning is solid and officating based, we will work with the official through enhanced training and evaluating. I had a deal a few weeks ago where a principal had an issue with an official regarding language. I worked with the official and told the school that. They invited him back provided his behavior improve. Now everyone is happy.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:17pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
This is why these things are area issues. If this happened to me I would be ecstatic. Actually it happened to me this year. If you work in one of these situations where the association or assignor assigns everything for you maybe this is more of an issue. But in my system this would be a blip on the screen. Why would you want to go back to a place that is going to have a bulls-eye on you from the beginning? At least if I go back to the school I had a situation with it will be because they are in the playoffs and they will be more in my area. To me she is supporting her official, she is keeping him out of unnecessary problems at a level that probably is not going to get the prestige or focus. Good move by the assignor if you ask me.

Peace
I agree. My crew lost a conference in football for *years* because I dared to flag a local legend for unsportsmanlike conduct (after we ejected his player for spearing and he decided to argue with me instead of tend to his injured, ejected player).

I haven't had an open Friday night since that incident, so why should I care?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

JR a coach up our way was in a habit of every time he lost a home game he'd try and scratch officials. Assignor finally told him he'd start sending soph refs as nobody was left.
A coach may think he can scratch you, but he can't always scratch you on the road and can't scratch you during the postseason. Coaches really should remember that.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Toren - Sorry that you have to deal with this situation.

On one hand - an assignor needs to put each assigned crew in the best place to succeed. Frankly, after an ejection... it might be best for everyone if you did not work at the school the rest of the year. There should be plenty of other games and hopefully, your assignor will endeavor to fill your now open dates.

I do have a problem if the assignor does not have your back. I sincerly hope that she asked for your side of the story before pulling the games..I understand that an assignor needs to manage the official and coach worlds of her league. As long as you were validated by the rules and handled the situation appropriately and professionally (and validated by tape - probably not available at a lower level game) - then you did your job.

At the end of the day, this decision has been already made and is out of your hands. I would suggest moving on and if you feel strong enough to not work for her, that is your choice. Before you do anything, I would try to have a phone conversation with your assignor so that both of you are clear on the details.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Assignor finally told him he'd start sending soph refs...
Hey...I was a "soph ref" last night! (DH before our varsity game)

I know we tease that Coaches are pretty thick headed...but, most of these guys know a "soph ref" from a Varsity official.

1st Quarter...I was new T coming up the floor when V1 passed the ball. V1 thought I had taken my eyes off of him...so V1 pushed H1 in frustration. Boom...I got the foul and yelled, (for some reason)..."and that will be the last time".

Coach IMMEDIATELY had a substitue for V1. (smart coach...and I told him as much)

The next time down the court I heard the Coach tell his bench..."hey, these guys are Varsity refs...no messing around tonight!"
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
A coach may think he can scratch you, but he can't always scratch you on the road and can't scratch you during the postseason. Coaches really should remember that.

The good ones do....
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post

I know we tease that Coaches are pretty thick headed...but, most of these guys know a "soph ref" from a Varsity official.

1st Quarter...I was new T coming up the floor when V1 passed the ball. V1 thought I had taken my eyes off of him...so V1 pushed H1 in frustration. Boom...I got the foul and yelled, (for some reason)..."and that will be the last time".

Coach IMMEDIATELY had a substitue for V1. (smart coach...and I told him as much)

The next time down the court I heard the Coach tell his bench..."hey, these guys are Varsity refs...no messing around tonight!"
Meant no disrespect, every varsity guy did soph games on way up.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Not so sure about that. There are a lot of coaches that make assumptions about who they are dealing with as to how an official looks and I am not talking about professionalism of your uniform or even how athletic you are. Sometimes they look at the youngest looking guy and think that official is the least experienced.

A friend of mine that works D1 was working with a guy that this past year worked a game that would be a step away from the State Finals (we climb the latter here). And they were working a JV game on a Saturday morning at a rather good program. The coach from this school assumed that the guys could not "handle" that level of game. He did not realize that the guys he had were probably more experienced than anyone he had all year and one of the guys had worked the varsity game of his biggest rival a few years before the season with me. Both guys are young looking and are very good officials and some guy thought that game on a Saturday was too much for them.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Meant no disrespect, every varsity guy did soph games on way up.
...none taken, my friend.

Occasionally, we get the oportunity to do lower level games...i.e. heavy night, mentor younger officials, etc.

...my ego was just looking for a way to get that statement by the soph coach in...
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
some guy thought that game on a Saturday was too much for them.
...then that coach IS one of the "thick headed" coaches out there.
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 03:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
...then that coach IS one of the "thick headed" coaches out there.
I filled in on a JV game 2 years ago -- I was scheduled for the varsity game and one of the JV guys bailed last minute.

I'll never forget how the JV coach told me near the end of the game I was the best JV ref he'd ever had. Then he saw me walk out for the varsity game a few minutes later...