The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

So I called her

She said it's standard policy for her that when an official has an ejection from a game that they "switch" games and removed from that school for the remainder of the season, as precautionary.

I had that school, lower level, again on February 11. So she is going to find someone that had a site that is close in proximity to my game and switch us. She also said she hasn't read my report on the issue and she is definitely not siding with the school.

She further said, that her boss did look at the report, but that she specificially has not. Consequently, she didn't know if I could have handled it differently, but felt because of the nature of the coaches behavior, it was best for all parties involved.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Who cares!!!!!!

Consider it a blessing!!! How many schools will you pass to work that school? Dude this is nothing to get upset by at all. You do not want to go back there so when something else happens they can blame it on your previous incident with them.

If you have not been banned from a school in your career, you are not doing your job. I do not know how your assigning works, but an assignor around here can only control the games they assign. Funny how I get coaches on the road that do not like me in other situations like tournaments, non-conference games or playoffs.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. In may cases, the school has the right to scratch an official (or multiple) for a multitude of reasons. Don't let that school affect your ability to work other games in that conference. Chances are you'll just get other assignments in place of that school. Their loss! Do you really need that headache again anyway?
What headache? If you back up your officials and let them take care of business, these headaches go away.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
She said it's standard policy for her that when an official has an ejection from a game that they "switch" games and removed from that school for the remainder of the season, as precautionary.

I had that school, lower level, again on February 11. So she is going to find someone that had a site that is close in proximity to my game and switch us. She also said she hasn't read my report on the issue and she is definitely not siding with the school.

She further said, that her boss did look at the report, but that she specificially has not. Consequently, she didn't know if I could have handled it differently, but felt because of the nature of the coaches behavior, it was best for all parties involved.
Oh is that the policy?? Well I have a crappy DH for her tomorrow, but it suddenly turned into an even crappier girls DH. So all I have to do is toss somebody & I dont have to worry about being drawn for this crappy team again? Done deal!
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

I think that's acceptable, to be honest. It's not permanent, it's not a blackball, and it's reasonable.
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I would. Coaches shouldn't be able to dictate their officials; because in situations like this, the coach has now instilled an atmosphere of fear. When word spreads that Toren was blackballed from the school for taking care of business, how many newer officials who need this assigner are going to actually take care of business.
I agree to a point...but let's not forget who is ultimately paying us. The school/coach needs to have some degree of control over the product they are paying for. Scratching an official or two is hardly a blackball, unless the assigner removes the official from multiple schools as a result of the initial conflict.

It's been my experience that most coaches are afraid to scratch an official from their school for fear of retaliation by other officials. I've heard this first hand in the form of: "I know you guys all talk...I don't want to draw the wrath of your fellow zebras".
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Oh is that the policy?? Well I have a crappy DH for her tomorrow, but it suddenly turned into an even crappier girls DH. So all I have to do is toss somebody & I dont have to worry about being drawn for this crappy team again? Done deal!
You realized you've just jinxed yourself, right?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
What headache? If you back up your officials and let them take care of business, these headaches go away.
This is why these things are area issues. If this happened to me I would be ecstatic. Actually it happened to me this year. If you work in one of these situations where the association or assignor assigns everything for you maybe this is more of an issue. But in my system this would be a blip on the screen. Why would you want to go back to a place that is going to have a bulls-eye on you from the beginning? At least if I go back to the school I had a situation with it will be because they are in the playoffs and they will be more in my area. To me she is supporting her official, she is keeping him out of unnecessary problems at a level that probably is not going to get the prestige or focus. Good move by the assignor if you ask me.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra View Post
I agree to a point...but let's not forget who is ultimately paying us. The school/coach needs to have some degree of control over the product they are paying for. Scratching an official or two is hardly a blackball, unless the assigner removes the official from multiple schools as a result of the initial conflict.

It's been my experience that most coaches are afraid to scratch an official from their school for fear of retaliation by other officials. I've heard this first hand in the form of: "I know you guys all talk...I don't want to draw the wrath of your fellow zebras".
If you've got one official who repeatedly has issues with a coach, and that coach never has issues with other officials; address it and perhaps do so by not having that official work with that school. But one event does not warrant a blackball (which we now know is not the case here).

Reassigning for one season does seem reasonable, however. It allows enough time to lapse for all parties to get past the emotions of the game.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is why these things are area issues. If this happened to me I would be ecstatic. Actually it happened to me this year. If you work in one of these situations where the association or assignor assigns everything for you maybe this is more of an issue. But in my system this would be a blip on the screen. Why would you want to go back to a place that is going to have a bulls-eye on you from the beginning? At least if I go back to the school I had a situation with it will be because they are in the playoffs and they will be more in my area. To me she is supporting her official, she is keeping him out of unnecessary problems at a level that probably is not going to get the prestige or focus. Good move by the assignor if you ask me.

Peace
I agree if it's done as a matter of policy; if it's done at the school's request, I just don't like the precedent.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:37pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

This is a pretty reasonable policy. She isn't just taking games away from you - she is switching you out. That makes sense for you, her, and the school. Now if she won't send you back there next season, or won't even assign you that school on the road, then there is probably more of an issue there. But this seems like she is trying to take care of you and the school. I would let it slide ( and believe me, I have had to deal with some crazy assignors in the past).
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
I'd like to think that our assignors have our backs, and that doesn't solely mean sticking his/her neck out for us in a tough spot.
Really? The best assigner I ever had was absolute in backing up his officials in tough spots - always. If an assigner doesn't have your back in tough situations, I don't want to be in that association.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I agree if it's done as a matter of policy; if it's done at the school's request, I just don't like the precedent.
Who gives the assignor the job? I am sure the schools. Who cares how the decision was made if that is going to shut them up and you can work the other teams in the conference? Sorry, but this is a business on many levels and the schools can and do make requests like this all the time. As I said it really depends on what you are used to, but I would be jumping for joy to not go back to this school. It is after all one school.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
This is a pretty reasonable policy. She isn't just taking games away from you - she is switching you out. That makes sense for you, her, and the school. Now if she won't send you back there next season, or won't even assign you that school on the road, then there is probably more of an issue there. But this seems like she is trying to take care of you and the school. I would let it slide ( and believe me, I have had to deal with some crazy assignors in the past).
I agree. It seemed to me a reasonable explanation. I will definitely keep my eyes on this next season but for this happening the first time I will give her the benefit of the doubt.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

You should thank your assignor. Why would you want to back there if he was a jerk?

There are plenty of officials better than you or me who have been scratched at schools at a much higher level.

Fuggetabowdit.

Last edited by fullor30; Wed Jan 25, 2012 at 02:01pm.