The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Advice for our members

Recently I posted about having to remove a head Varsity coach from my JV game because he was inciting the crowd. And as he was leaving he threatened to wait in the parking lot for me. Turns out that coach did sit out the next game.

I just got an email from the assignor telling me I have been removed from lower level games for that school. This was at the school's request. At first I was a bit surprised, but felt understanding, as an assignor I'm sure she's just doing what's easiest for her. She never asked me my side of the story, although I did file a report, so she may have read it.

However, I'm starting to feel a bit upset about this, as I think more an more about it. I'm even considering just turning back all my lower level games for this assignor.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 12:55pm
Back from the DL

Communicate with your assignor before deciding anything. This is probably best handled via phone.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 12:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

So the coach gets reprimanded by CHSAA, and the assigner acquiesces to the shool's demands? If I were you, I'd ask her what she thinks you could have or should have done differently.

I get that assigners up there are probably competing for schools, but this is ridiculous.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:03pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Recently I posted about having to remove a head Varsity coach from my JV game because he was inciting the crowd. And as he was leaving he threatened to wait in the parking lot for me. Turns out that coach did sit out the next game.

I just got an email from the assignor telling me I have been removed from lower level games for that school. This was at the school's request. At first I was a bit surprised, but felt understanding, as an assignor I'm sure she's just doing what's easiest for her. She never asked me my side of the story, although I did file a report, so she may have read it.

However, I'm starting to feel a bit upset about this, as I think more an more about it. I'm even considering just turning back all my lower level games for this assignor.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
This is why some officals will not Kick a coach or player out!! Sorry, but the assignor does not have your back on this one...plus to not pick up the phone and walk you thru this and just remove the games..Not Good!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:04pm
I miss being on the floor

She might have done it for your own good. To keep you away from that school could be best for both parties. Just a thought.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
She might have done it for your own good. To keep you away from that school could be best for both parties. Just a thought.
At the school's request? Any assigner worth his/her salt would have left the schedule alone; and maybe put Toren on a varsity game for that school.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:08pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

And I wouldn't turn back any games you've accepted, but I would consider not taking any games from her in the future if you can work without her. First, however, I would call her and see if there's something she thinks you could have done differently.

If she says you should have ignored him, then I'd strongly consider not taking any more games from her (next year, perhaps).
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
...I just got an email from the assignor telling me I have been removed from lower level games for that school. ...
Meaning you can still work Varsity games at that school?
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
And I wouldn't turn back any games you've accepted, but I would consider not taking any games from her in the future if you can work without her. First, however, I would call her and see if there's something she thinks you could have done differently.

If she says you should have ignored him, then I'd strongly consider not taking any more games from her (next year, perhaps).
+1

I think this is the best course of action.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Meaning you can still work Varsity games at that school?
This particular assignor only assigns the lower level games. The varsity games are done by a different assignor. I did not have this school on my schedule this year.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:17pm
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
At the school's request? Any assigner worth his/her salt would have left the schedule alone; and maybe put Toren on a varsity game for that school.
Sure. Acquiescing to the school's request may be best. I'd like to think that our assignors have our backs, and that doesn't solely mean sticking his/her neck out for us in a tough spot. Sometimes that can be done by preventing said official a headache.

Putting myself in Toren's shoes, I'm not sure I'd want to go back to that school.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:18pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
This particular assignor only assigns the lower level games. The varsity games are done by a different assignor. I did not have this school on my schedule this year.
Then her email was nothing more than an insult, IMO. I would still follow through with the phone call, a lot of times emails can come off much differently than intended. She may have some insight you can learn from.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Sure. Acquiescing to the school's request may be best. I'd like to think that our assignors have our backs, and that doesn't solely mean sticking his/her neck out for us in a tough spot. Sometimes that can be done by preventing said official a headache.

Putting myself in Toren's shoes, I'm not sure I'd want to go back to that school.
I would. Coaches shouldn't be able to dictate their officials; because in situations like this, the coach has now instilled an atmosphere of fear. When word spreads that Toren was blackballed from the school for taking care of business, how many newer officials who need this assigner are going to actually take care of business.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not Toren, but it's always nice to have the option to go where we want. A certified varsity official blackballed at the lower-level... C'MON MAN!!
Old Wed Jan 25, 2012, 01:22pm
Official & Member

Quote:
...I just got an email from the assignor telling me I have been removed from lower level games for that school. This was at the school's request...
I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it. In may cases, the school has the right to scratch an official (or multiple) for a multitude of reasons. Don't let that school affect your ability to work other games in that conference. Chances are you'll just get other assignments in place of that school. Their loss! Do you really need that headache again anyway?