The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

solve an argument: contact in the post

A friend and I are debating what level of contact is allowed near the basket in a men's college game.

- offensive player (O) is 2 ft from basket, back to basket, looking for entry pass. Can the defender (D) use his body to move O away from the basket (using his chest, no hands)?

- O is standing in the lane, facing basket. No shot is up. Can D box out to a) maintain position or b) move O away from the basket?

- true or false: "If O is moving from one block to the other to set up in the post, the only way D can impede his motion is to plant his feet and take a charge. If he moving and contact occurs it is a blocking foul."

- in general, once a shot is up, can D box out only to maintain his position relative to O or can he also move backwards to move O further from the basket?

I can make some videos if that would be helpful.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Videos aren't necessary.

A player is never allowed, by rule, to forcibly move another player. Boxing out legally is maintaining position.

I don't like term "plant his feet." The defender must get to the spot first to legally impede the cutter.

The other key is advantage. If the contact doesn't create a discernable advantage, it's generally ignored.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 10:34am.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Fouls are based on a lot of things. Not sure anyone is going to answer your question to your satisfaction. Players at the college level can take more contact than other levels and not move each other or complete their plays. There is no "standard" for what that is other than does a players Rhythm, Speed, Balance and Quickness are affected. And closer to the basket there is more likely going to be some contact if a shooter is contested. Anyone that tells you something here is going to be strictly an opinion. I know when I call games I take each play differently. There is not always the same kinds of play or called the same way by everyone based on the game or the players involved.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

I agree with both posts above. Sometimes the official needs to decide whether the player is being pushed, or is giving ground -- and it's not always an easy decision to make.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

It's hard to create absolutes in your statements without seeing a specific play. In general, we are fine with "physical" play but not "rough play" we have to manage the post especially as that is where the game often transitions from spirited to rough/non-basketball play.

As far as rebounding... think about possession/consequence. If contact allows a player to dislodge someone from advantageous position, we probably have a foul.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Have you ever called a foul in a game for dislodging a player while backing up to box out? Is it common? I don't think I've ever seen it unless maybe if people fall down.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwza View Post
Have you ever called a foul in a game for dislodging a player while backing up to box out? Is it common? I don't think I've ever seen it unless maybe if people fall down.
Last night, we had a double whistle on this type of play. Captain for the offending team asked us how we could call that when his player was just "boxing out". Told him, you can't displace a player.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 02:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Yes, I have. More often than not, it has no effect on the play, so it's ignored. It's more common for the player in back to push in, though.

As Bob noted, it's often difficult to tell if the player is being pushed or giving ground.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yes, I have. More often than not, it has no effect on the play, so it's ignored. It's more common for the player in back to push in, though.

As Bob noted, it's often difficult to tell if the player is being pushed or giving ground.
I look to see if the boxed out player is staggering under the contact which is a good indication that he's been put off balance and is not intentionally giving ground.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

By giving ground, do you mean intentionally moving backwards? It seems unlikely he'd do that when a rebound was coming.

I appreciate all of the responses.

Last edited by schwza; Thu Jan 26, 2012 at 03:31pm. Reason: Edit to add: didn't see Eastshire's response while I was typing.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By giving ground, do you mean intentionally moving backwards? It seems unlikely he'd do that when a rebound was coming.

I appreciate all of the responses.
Right, most of the time where this could happen is a high and deep rebound that is going to go past the player boxing out. That usually means it is also going past the player being boxed out. So both players are looking to back up to secure the rebound.
Old Thu Jan 26, 2012, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes. Once, I even had an intentional foul on such a play.