The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong way lineup at tip

Varsity girls game tonite. At opening tip teams are lined up facing the wrong way. Visitors get tip and go down and miss layup. Home team rebounds and visitors retreat to other end. At that point, home fans start screaming at their team they were lined up the wrong way and encourage them to shoot at the basket the visitors missed at. After about 4-5 seconds ( while standing in the lane), the home team player shoots and makes a layup at that basket totally uncontested. The refs then realize what happened and blow the whistle and stop the game.

They confer and allow the basket to count for the home team and give the visitors the ball under that basket and correct which goal they are shooting at. My thought was the goal should have counted for the visitors since this was the basket they were positioned to shoot at on the tip. Can some of you experts advise as to the correct ruling?

By the way, the boys game later went into overtime and the officials lined the teams up the wrong way for the overtime period. Wow.
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 11:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Here are some relevant casebook plays:

5.2.1E

During the pregame practice period, the visiting team properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. A1 controls the tap by tapping the ball back to A2. A2, realizing that he/she had warmed up at the basket behind A1, dribbles to that basket and scores an uncontested basket.

RULING: Score the basket for Team A. The officials should stop the game and emphasize to both teams the proper direction. The mistake is an official's error by allowing A1 and B1 to face the wrong direction; not a correctable error.

5.2.1F

During the pregame practice period, the visiting team properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. Several baskets are scored before it is recognized that both teams are throwing the ball into the opponent's basket.

RULING: All points scored count as if the teams had gone the right direction and scored in their own basket. Once the mistake is recognized, play shall continue with each team attempting to score in its own basket. (4-5-4)

Since this was the first basket of the game, I'd say the officials treated the situation properly by awarding the points to A (home team).
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 12:06am
We don't rent pigs

Since the OP is not directly covered by either of the case plays, it seems to be it would fall under 2-3. I would wave off the basket, straighten out the directions, and give the home team the ball on the endline opposite their basket.

I also am not a fan of the first case play. (E) Is it written somewhere that the basket where the team warms up is that team's basket? It is written that the jumper is in the half of the center circle farthest from his basket.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 08:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

4-5-2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Is it written somewhere that the basket where the team warms up is that team's basket?
It is written: Each team’s basket for practice before the game and for the first half shall be the one farther from its team bench.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 21, 2012 at 08:31am.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Wrong way Lineup at Tip

I'm not sure what you guys mean by "it is written". Are you referring to the Federation rulebook?

If so, then doesn't the fact that if it is written that the team's basket is the one farthest from their bench directly conflict with the casebook play quoted as 5.2.1F?

By the way, the final score of the game was 48-47, so you could say this had a significant impact.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
I'm not sure what you guys mean by "it is written". Are you referring to the Federation rulebook?

If so, then doesn't the fact that if it is written that the team's basket is the one farthest from their bench directly conflict with the casebook play quoted as 5.2.1F?
Yes.

No.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Varsity? Lah me.

At least they fixed it correctly.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 10:56am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It is written: Each team’s basket for practice before the game and for the first half shall be the one farther from its team bench.
Okay, shoulda known that. But, 4-5-4 goes on to say: ".......if .....officials permit a team to go the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored.........count....."

In the OP, no points were scored with teams allowed to go the wrong direction. If visitors tried to score at the wrong basket and home tried to defend that basket, it should take a stoppage of play to correct the situation before home is allowed to score.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 10:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
By the way, the final score of the game was 48-47, so you could say this had a significant impact.
Not really.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Team A realized which basket they were supposed to shoot at, shot, and made the basket. No way I'm taking that basket off the board.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Team A realized which basket they were supposed to shoot at, shot, and made the basket. No way I'm taking that basket off the board.
+1

That said, if someone waits "about 4-5 seconds ( while standing in the lane), " and the fans are screaming, I'm figuring out what is going on and (I hope) not letting it get that far.
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That said, if someone waits "about 4-5 seconds ( while standing in the lane), " and the fans are screaming, I'm figuring out what is going on and (I hope) not letting it get that far.
Exactly.

But if you don't get it stopped before they score,...oh well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jan 21, 2012, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Varsity girls game tonite. At opening tip teams are lined up facing the wrong way. Visitors get tip and go down and miss layup. Home team rebounds and visitors retreat to other end. At that point, home fans start screaming at their team they were lined up the wrong way and encourage them to shoot at the basket the visitors missed at. After about 4-5 seconds ( while standing in the lane), the home team player shoots and makes a layup at that basket totally uncontested. The refs then realize what happened and blow the whistle and stop the game.

They confer and allow the basket to count for the home team and give the visitors the ball under that basket and correct which goal they are shooting at. My thought was the goal should have counted for the visitors since this was the basket they were positioned to shoot at on the tip. Can some of you experts advise as to the correct ruling?

By the way, the boys game later went into overtime and the officials lined the teams up the wrong way for the overtime period. Wow.
They shoulda made the damn 3 second call!!!