The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 736
Is this taught in camp?

On my off nights, I watch college games or I go to a local high school game.

Recently, I've noticed in several college games across several conferences, that after a made basket and with no pressure, the old L, new T will take three or four steps in front of the endline.

Basically they are almost out to the free throw line before the ball is inbounded. Then the new T basically walks with the count.

I actually do the opposite of this, I wait until the ball is inbounded and reaches the free throw line, then I can jog.

I'm thinking of trying it the way these college guys do it. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:10pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,286
This has nothing to do with college actually, many officials do this either as a way to get up court and not get beat or they are just not called to the carpet on it. It is usually a sign of an older official that feels they cannot keep up if they stay or someone that is lazy so they do not have to run that hard to follow the play. Either way I would not make much out of it.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:13pm
APG APG is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,889
Generally you only see that mechanic used by older officials that have a harder time keeping up with speed of the players or are afraid of being beat. There's no real reason to get ahead of the play like this.
__________________
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This has nothing to do with college actually, many officials do this either as a way to get up court and not get beat or they are just not called to the carpet on it. It is usually a sign of an older official that feels they cannot keep up if they stay or someone that is lazy so they do not have to run that hard to follow the play. Either way I would not make much out of it.

Peace
Now that you mention it, I have seen it in older officials. But most of them seem able to run really well, it probably just saves on the pounding on their feet over the course of the whole season.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:21pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Now that you mention it, I have seen it in older officials. But most of them seem able to run really well, it probably just saves on the pounding on their feet over the course of the whole season.

Thanks.
I think it is more out of fear they will bet beat consistently up the court.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Either way I would not make much out of it.
I would not follow their lead though. They call it TRAIL for a reason. The DI guys on tv can get away with it because the coaches & decision makers are familiar with them. If we were to do this in the regular season, it would more than likely carry over to the summer. Then you're in camps trying to get hired -errrr- get better & that basically takes you off the list of candidates.
"Nice job, you're pretty close, come back again next year."
Which basically means, thanks for the check & you're welcome to write me another one next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Now that you mention it, I have seen it in older officials. But most of them seem able to run really well...
Who couldnt run well if they got a head start :-)
__________________
I gotta new attitude!

Last edited by tref; Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 04:26pm.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I would not follow their lead though. They call it TRAIL for a reason.
Now that I see the reasoning, I will not attempt this method.

thanks for the input guys.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
I will not attempt this method.
Until you get where you're going, that is

Once you get there you can do whatever you want! I'm sure you've noticed no stop clock for OOB?
__________________
I gotta new attitude!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:46pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,626
John Adams does not like this practice and he has pointed it out on NCAA videos.

I saw it cause a problem in a NIT final about 5 years ago involving South Carolina.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Until you get where you're going, that is

Once you get there you can do whatever you want! I'm sure you've noticed no stop clock for OOB?
I've noticed this from lots of our esteemed referee's.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
I'm sure you've noticed no stop clock for OOB?
Don't do college ball, but I thought the "stop clock" is not an NCAA mechanic?
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
Don't do college ball, but I thought the "stop clock" is not an NCAA mechanic?
Yeah he's making reference to college officials who work high school games and how they just point, instead of stopping the clock first then open hand point.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
Don't do college ball, but I thought the "stop clock" is not an NCAA mechanic?
Yeah thats what I was "told" too, then I got my head in the CCA manual. Low & behold, NCAA-W dont require the stop clock signal just as the League doesnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
Yeah he's making reference to college officials who work high school games and how they just point, instead of stopping the clock first then open hand point.
Negative, just talking about implementing things we see on tv in our HS games.

Hell, I did what you're talking about in front of JD twice Tuesday night :-(
In post game he didnt even mention it, but I apologized to him anyway. He said "yeah, I know you do other stuff but get it together before post-season." Did I do it purposely? No.
But working other games Fri-Sun led me to accidently just point. He also said it looked like I wanted to report 2 handed the entire 1st Q.
__________________
I gotta new attitude!

Last edited by tref; Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 05:20pm.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Denver Colorado
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Hell, I did what you're talking about in front of JD twice Tuesday night :-(
In post game he didnt even mention it, but I apologized to him anyway. He said "yeah, I know you do other stuff but get it together before post-season." Did I do it purposely? No.
But working other games Fri-Sun led me to accidently just point. He also said it looked like I wanted to report 2 handed the entire 1st Q.
In the big tourney, they want guys with great judgement who work from jump ball to last whistle. If you happen to point instead of stop clock, that can be overlooked.

For me, they don't know me, I gotta do it by the book, I haven't earned crap yet. So I gotta earn it.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Jan 19, 2012, 05:28pm
(Something hilarious)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: These United States
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
John Adams does not like this practice and he has pointed it out on NCAA videos.

I saw it cause a problem in a NIT final about 5 years ago involving South Carolina.
Every college assignor and evaluator (camp or game) I've ever heard talk about the trail actually "trailing" the dribbler up the backcourt has said to do just that, as well.
__________________
I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind-of tired.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asa Sp Camp? azbigdawg Softball 5 Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:42am
Camp brandan89 Basketball 7 Tue Mar 08, 2005 09:56pm
Big 10 Camp lrpalmer3 Basketball 3 Fri Mar 04, 2005 01:17pm
Camp bludevil1221 Basketball 1 Thu Mar 27, 2003 04:29pm
Camp Brendan Basketball 0 Mon Jan 27, 2003 11:22am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1