The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Is this taught in camp? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/86254-taught-camp.html)

Toren Thu Jan 19, 2012 03:53pm

Is this taught in camp?

On my off nights, I watch college games or I go to a local high school game.

Recently, I've noticed in several college games across several conferences, that after a made basket and with no pressure, the old L, new T will take three or four steps in front of the endline.

Basically they are almost out to the free throw line before the ball is inbounded. Then the new T basically walks with the count.

I actually do the opposite of this, I wait until the ball is inbounded and reaches the free throw line, then I can jog.

I'm thinking of trying it the way these college guys do it. Anyone have thoughts on this?

JRutledge Thu Jan 19, 2012 04:10pm

This has nothing to do with college actually, many officials do this either as a way to get up court and not get beat or they are just not called to the carpet on it. It is usually a sign of an older official that feels they cannot keep up if they stay or someone that is lazy so they do not have to run that hard to follow the play. Either way I would not make much out of it.

Peace

APG Thu Jan 19, 2012 04:13pm

Generally you only see that mechanic used by older officials that have a harder time keeping up with speed of the players or are afraid of being beat. There's no real reason to get ahead of the play like this.

Toren Thu Jan 19, 2012 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 814953)
This has nothing to do with college actually, many officials do this either as a way to get up court and not get beat or they are just not called to the carpet on it. It is usually a sign of an older official that feels they cannot keep up if they stay or someone that is lazy so they do not have to run that hard to follow the play. Either way I would not make much out of it.

Peace

Now that you mention it, I have seen it in older officials. But most of them seem able to run really well, it probably just saves on the pounding on their feet over the course of the whole season.

Thanks.

JRutledge Thu Jan 19, 2012 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 814955)
Now that you mention it, I have seen it in older officials. But most of them seem able to run really well, it probably just saves on the pounding on their feet over the course of the whole season.

Thanks.

I think it is more out of fear they will bet beat consistently up the court.

Peace

tref Thu Jan 19, 2012 04:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 814953)
Either way I would not make much out of it.

I would not follow their lead though. They call it TRAIL for a reason. The DI guys on tv can get away with it because the coaches & decision makers are familiar with them. If we were to do this in the regular season, it would more than likely carry over to the summer. Then you're in camps trying to get hired -errrr- get better & that basically takes you off the list of candidates.
"Nice job, you're pretty close, come back again next year."
Which basically means, thanks for the check & you're welcome to write me another one next summer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 814955)
Now that you mention it, I have seen it in older officials. But most of them seem able to run really well...

Who couldnt run well if they got a head start :-)

Toren Thu Jan 19, 2012 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 814957)
I would not follow their lead though. They call it TRAIL for a reason.

Now that I see the reasoning, I will not attempt this method.

thanks for the input guys.

tref Thu Jan 19, 2012 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 814959)
I will not attempt this method.

Until you get where you're going, that is :D

Once you get there you can do whatever you want! I'm sure you've noticed no stop clock for OOB?

Raymond Thu Jan 19, 2012 04:46pm

John Adams does not like this practice and he has pointed it out on NCAA videos.

I saw it cause a problem in a NIT final about 5 years ago involving South Carolina.

Toren Thu Jan 19, 2012 04:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 814961)
Until you get where you're going, that is :D

Once you get there you can do whatever you want! I'm sure you've noticed no stop clock for OOB?

I've noticed this from lots of our esteemed referee's.

BLydic Thu Jan 19, 2012 05:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 814961)
I'm sure you've noticed no stop clock for OOB?

Don't do college ball, but I thought the "stop clock" is not an NCAA mechanic?

Toren Thu Jan 19, 2012 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 814964)

Yeah he's making reference to college officials who work high school games and how they just point, instead of stopping the clock first then open hand point.

tref Thu Jan 19, 2012 05:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 814964)

Yeah thats what I was "told" too, then I got my head in the CCA manual. Low & behold, NCAA-W dont require the stop clock signal just as the League doesnt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 814966)
Yeah he's making reference to college officials who work high school games and how they just point, instead of stopping the clock first then open hand point.

Negative, just talking about implementing things we see on tv in our HS games.

Hell, I did what you're talking about in front of JD twice Tuesday night :-(
In post game he didnt even mention it, but I apologized to him anyway. He said "yeah, I know you do other stuff but get it together before post-season." Did I do it purposely? No.
But working other games Fri-Sun led me to accidently just point. He also said it looked like I wanted to report 2 handed the entire 1st Q.

Toren Thu Jan 19, 2012 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 814968)
Hell, I did what you're talking about in front of JD twice Tuesday night :-(
In post game he didnt even mention it, but I apologized to him anyway. He said "yeah, I know you do other stuff but get it together before post-season." Did I do it purposely? No.
But working other games Fri-Sun led me to accidently just point. He also said it looked like I wanted to report 2 handed the entire 1st Q.

In the big tourney, they want guys with great judgement who work from jump ball to last whistle. If you happen to point instead of stop clock, that can be overlooked.

For me, they don't know me, I gotta do it by the book, I haven't earned crap yet. So I gotta earn it.

HawkeyeCubP Thu Jan 19, 2012 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 814962)
John Adams does not like this practice and he has pointed it out on NCAA videos.

I saw it cause a problem in a NIT final about 5 years ago involving South Carolina.

Every college assignor and evaluator (camp or game) I've ever heard talk about the trail actually "trailing" the dribbler up the backcourt has said to do just that, as well.