The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 02:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Hey - watch that player (not what you think)

Girl's 8th grade rec game, coach comes over to us prior to the game starting and asks us to "watch out" for number 11. I've heard this kind of stuff before. But then he tells us he means number 11 on his team. It seems he's been having problems with her playing rough and he hasn't been able to correct her attitude. He told us he's cut back on her playing time when this happens but she's still fouled out of half their games and got tossed in one other.

The funny part is that he said he'd just bench her but she's his niece and he can't handle his sister being mad at him. Oh yeah - he said she's also his leading scorer.

What he really wanted was that whenever we called a foul on her, to tell her to watch herself and to not play so rough. We did it once or twice, but she got her fourth early in Q3 and didn't come in again until there were two minutes left in the game. She then got her fifth about 30 seconds later.

I have to agree, she's a pretty rough player. BTW - the coach thanked us after the game for "calling it tight on her". I thought we called it the same on her as we did on everyone else. She just plays that much rougher. Too bad.
Old Wed Jan 18, 2012, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

That's a new one. Honesty is the best policy, love the quote about his sister
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Twice in one week?

Earlier I posted that a coach approached my partner and me before a MS girls game and asked us to "watch out" for a player on his own team who generally plays pretty rough. Well, last night, virtually the same thing happened. It was a boys HS rec game and one of the coaches told my partner and me to "please call flagrant fouls" on one of his players for any foul he commits. He said the kid likes to throw elbows and forearms and just gets off on hurting other players. I told him we would call the fouls the same for everyone and if he or anyone else committed a flagrant, we would deal with it appropriately. He said OK and that was it.

The game was pretty close most of the way but there wasn't anything even close to a flagrant. We did have two intentionals near the end when the other team was behind and decided to foul, but they were fairly "normal" intentionals.

Now I wonder how many more times I'm going to hear this from coaches this season. Is it something you guys (and gals) hear often?
Old Fri Jan 20, 2012, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Is it something you guys (and gals) hear often?
I shut it down immediately... stop whinning! Nobody likes a tattle-tell