The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 01:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Does each team...

...get the same number of possessions, or maybe a difference of 1?
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 01:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

I don't think so under NFHS at least. Team possession ends on a try for goal and begins when possessed by a player so by that virtue I'd say no.

Unless you're counting possessions in a manner different from the rule book.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 01:11pm
Back from the DL

Depends on how you define "possession." If it means "occurrences of team control," then no.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 01:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I don't think so under NFHS at least. Team possession ends on a try for goal and begins when possessed by a player so by that virtue I'd say no.
But could you not make a definition that doesn't include establishing "team control".

In other words, the defense's job is to end the offense's {new definition} with the ball. Giving up an offensive rebound failed in that goal.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Well consider in the NBA, the difference between the highest and lowest paced teams (number of possessions used per game) is 9 possessions/game.

It would vary a lot in high school because most states lack the use of a shot clock.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 01:24pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
But could you not make a definition that doesn't include establishing "team control".

In other words, the defense's job is to end the offense's {new definition} with the ball. Giving up an offensive rebound failed in that goal.
You're getting into a realm that I purposely care very little about and that is sports statistics. I'm answering by the rulebook.
Old Tue Jan 17, 2012, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post

If we're going into the land of making up definitions for this concept, you could borrow the concept of phases of play from rugby (and a lesser extent soccer). In rugby, a new phase of play begins with each ruck or muck (similar to downs in football except there is no explicit end or beginning unless there is a scrum).

So, translating this to basketball, each instance of team control would be a phase and each phase uninterrupted by an instance of team control by the opponent would form a possession.

If you used such a definition, then at first thought, yes, each team would have equal possessions. What constructive purpose this might serve escapes me at the moment.