The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Flagrant/Intentional

I always enjoy reading this board and don't post much because I'm not an official, but do love to read and learn from the people here. This play was discussed at a recent game I was helping at the table for and the video was posted on youtube so that I could see it and I'd be interested to get your opinions on it.

Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:00pm
We don't rent pigs

24 white flagrant personal foul

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

I guess it depends if you consider the ball handler to throw a punch. But there was some contact before that, so based on the angle I cannot say that was the case with confidence. The angle was bad and it would help to know what the officials ruled as well. If the player threw a punch then it is flagrant, but with the contact before that I am not completely sure of that.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

The play was called either an intentional or a technical, I heard the story 2nd hand from people who aren't officials and couldn't tell me for sure and this is the only video I have from the game (Not my schools game, or I'd try to get more video or the book to find out) I can see an official signal a T in the video, but then there was a discussion so I don't know if it was changed.

I do know that no foul was called on the defensive player before the shove and the player was not disqualified on the play.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:09pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I guess it depends if you consider the ball handler to throw a punch. But there was some contact before that, so based on the angle I cannot say that was the case with confidence. The angle was bad and it would help to know what the officials ruled as well. If the player threw a punch then it is flagrant, but with the contact before that I am not completely sure of that.

Peace

What does the contact beforehand have to do with the punch?

Lonesome Dove

Last edited by just another ref; Sun Jan 15, 2012 at 09:33pm.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:10pm
Lighten up, Francis.

I agree that we can't be sure from the angle. But it LOOKS like she takes her left hand off the ball so that she can throw the elbow into the opponent's face. If that's what she did, then definitely flagrant in NFHS and Flagrant 2 in NCAA.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Well one thing for sure its not a technical like the official signaled.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Looks like a punch to me, but the angle isn't the greatest and it's hard to tell for sure that it wasn't just a quick shove.

It looks like the official gives the T signal (wrong by mechanic, but not necessarily indicative of the final call since there's no specific signal for a flagrant personal foul), so I'm assuming he went with a flagrant.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
What doe the contact beforehand have to do with the punch?
Was the player trying to forcefully get away. It is hard to see that as the defender did seem to either grab the arm or the ball.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav0 View Post
The play was called either an intentional or a technical, I heard the story 2nd hand from people who aren't officials and couldn't tell me for sure and this is the only video I have from the game (Not my schools game, or I'd try to get more video or the book to find out) I can see an official signal a T in the video, but then there was a discussion so I don't know if it was changed.

I do know that no foul was called on the defensive player before the shove and the player was not disqualified on the play.
We do not see the official signal to the table or any information that someone was ejected or where they put the ball in place. And intentional foul is administered very different from a technical foul. And a flagrant foul does not have to be a technical.

I cannot tell if this is a "get off me" shove or a full out punch to the chest of face.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We do not see the official signal to the table or any information that someone was ejected or where they put the ball in place. And intentional foul is administered very different from a technical foul. And a flagrant foul does not have to be a technical.

I cannot tell if this is a "get off me" shove or a full out punch to the chest of face.

Peace
Sorry I can't tell you anymore, I wasn't there. Based on what was described to me, the player was not ejected and participated further in the game and the team in black received 2 free throws and retained possession, though I do not know the spot of the following throw-in. I said intentional or flagrant, since those would both carry that result (without knowing the spot of the throw-in).
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

My Opinion ...

Flagrant personal foul charged to White 24. Two free throws for Blue 24. Blue gets the ball back at the spot closest to the foul. White 24 "ejected" to the bench.

I could also understand an intentional foul here, but that wouldn't be my call.

No technical foul here because all the contact was during a live ball.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 07:53pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:

Peace
So tell me exactly what are the mechanics for a flagrant foul. There is no signal for "flagrant." What is preliminary? How do you report to the table?
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So tell me exactly what are the mechanics for a flagrant foul. There is no signal for "flagrant." What is preliminary? How do you report to the table?
There is no "mechanic." As kind of illustrated when someone is ejecting someone from the game they verbalize the action and give the "heave ho" signal on some level. Again nothing mechanically to make that clear, but you need to make it clear that someone is not coming back into the game.

At the table I give the "thumb" signal like you used to see from really old-time baseball umpires.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 08:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav0 View Post
Sorry I can't tell you anymore, I wasn't there. Based on what was described to me, the player was not ejected and participated further in the game and the team in black received 2 free throws and retained possession, though I do not know the spot of the following throw-in. I said intentional or flagrant, since those would both carry that result (without knowing the spot of the throw-in).
It wasn't flagrant, then, or she wouldn't have played any more of that game.