The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

A1 and B1 are moving parralel, and B1 is running next to A1

This is an old post from Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. that got mixed answers, so I thought that it was a good idea to reopen it.

Here is an example of a defender guarding the dribbler without having a LGP (actually the defender is setting a moving screen against the dribbler):

A1 is dribbling the ball down the court parallel to the Sideline, with the SL to his right, and B1 is running next to him, on his left just short of contact, stride for stride. Now for the good part: A1 decides to change directions and moves to his left and makes contact with B1 and displaces B1. What do you have?

MTD, Sr.

Some people said that it is an illegal screen by A1, a block by B1, or a no-call.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty View Post
This is an old post from Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. that got mixed answers, so I thought that it was a good idea to reopen it.

Here is an example of a defender guarding the dribbler without having a LGP (actually the defender is setting a moving screen against the dribbler):

A1 is dribbling the ball down the court parallel to the Sideline, with the SL to his right, and B1 is running next to him, on his left just short of contact, stride for stride. Now for the good part: A1 decides to change directions and moves to his left and makes contact with B1 and displaces B1. What do you have?

MTD, Sr.

Some people said that it is an illegal screen by A1, a block by B1, or a no-call.
This is an offensive foul. B1 has a right to his spot on the court.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiWadeCounty View Post

MTD, Sr.

Block...defender not in LGP can't be moving when contact occurs unless it is in the same path and direction as the opponent...and a parallel path is not the same path.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 05:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
This is an offensive foul. B1 has a right to his spot on the court.
I am with you. LGP does not necessarily apply to this contact. A1 cannot simply displace B1 and this is not a Block/Charge situation where B1 is trying to prevent A1 from moving.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 08:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Block...defender not in LGP can't be moving when contact occurs unless it is in the same path and direction as the opponent...and a parallel path is not the same path.

Camron:

I respectively disagree. A1 and B1 are running parallel to each. A1 cannot push him off his line of movement anymore that B1 can push A1 off his line of movement. B1 is entitled is straight line movement down the court as long as he does not move into A1's path. B1's movement is in effect a legal "moving screen".

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jan 14, 2012, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Camron:

I respectively disagree. A1 and B1 are running parallel to each. A1 cannot push him off his line of movement anymore that B1 can push A1 off his line of movement. B1 is entitled is straight line movement down the court as long as he does not move into A1's path. B1's movement is in effect a legal "moving screen".

MTD, Sr.
Show me where a defender is granted the right to a path outside of screening actions. They're entitled to a spot, for sure, but not a path.

A1 can't use an arm to do so but body/body contact can't be anything but a block any more than when two players, one of which has the ball, paths intersect at any arbitrary angle. The moment A1 diverts, B1 IS in their instantaneous path. If that were not the case, they'd never collide.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for reposting this question. I had a very similar situation take place during a G JV game a few weeks ago.

This time the offensive player used her forearm to shove the defender out of her way at the last second(after they were side to side for a good 15 yards). Although the defensive player was moving, I called player control on the offensive player. The coach went crazy.

In that same situation, had the offensive player waited a split second longer and gotten bumped it would have been a block, but since she decided she needed to toss the defender out the way I felt like I had not choice.

It was kind of like a soccer play when the two players are running right next to each other but no advantage/disadvantage is gained. If the offensive player gets bumped and goes down, the block call is much easier.

As always, it seems like being there is going to impact how we make the call. On a forum like this we can all envision different things in our minds eye.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2012, 01:32am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballRookie View Post
This time the offensive player used her forearm to shove the defender out of her way...
That's all I need. Easy PC foul (or TC, if a teammate has the ball).

Other than that, I can only see this as an HTBT. I still see a few variables in paths and initiation of contact to make this clear-cut one way or the other (or nothing at all).