The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:15am
This IS My Social Life

Bad Weather Coming

Picked a good week not to be assigned any major games. Bad weather will be sweeping in from over where Rut lives to dump a ton of lake effect snow on us beginning tomorrow afternoon. If the forecast holds, Thursday's games will be in doubt. Friday's games will almost certainly be postponed due to school cancellations. Saturday's games will be iffy. Lake effect forecasts normally end up a little worse than forecast, and hardly ever err on the lesser side.

At least I don't live in Cordova, Alaska. Eighteen feet of snow can play havoc on a school schedule. Don't think we're gonna get that much here.

Any of you been plagued with weather-related cancellations this year?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:24am
Back from the DL

There's no snow on the ground right now here in Maine (which is VERY unusual for mid January), and the schools around here haven't used a single snow day, yet. (We usually budget three per winter.)

But that will change tomorrow, as 4-7 inches are expected. That's not overwhelming for us, but after looking at brown, frozen ground, we'll take it!

Actual conversation among JV and varsity officials earlier tonight (prior to varsity game in locker room):

"How many of us are scheduled to work tomorrow?"
All hands go up.

"How many will be working tomorrow?"
We all grinned and shook our heads.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:34am
I miss being on the floor

Hell it was north of 50 degrees today in Chicagoland. I'm hearing it won't be more than 4 inches during the day tomorrow, and another couple possible at night. I'd be surprised if anything gets cancelled.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 01:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Picked a good week not to be assigned any major games. Bad weather will be sweeping in from over where Rut lives to dump a ton of lake effect snow on us beginning tomorrow afternoon. If the forecast holds, Thursday's games will be in doubt. Friday's games will almost certainly be postponed due to school cancellations. Saturday's games will be iffy. Lake effect forecasts normally end up a little worse than forecast, and hardly ever err on the lesser side.

At least I don't live in Cordova, Alaska. Eighteen feet of snow can play havoc on a school schedule. Don't think we're gonna get that much here.

Any of you been plagued with weather-related cancellations this year?
Not so sure about that. Based on the forecast and if we only get about 4 inches, that is usually not a big deal here. And if the snow comes tonight and Thursday, Friday games should be OK in most situations. And if it does not snow Friday I doubt Saturday games will be affected either around here. This state does a very good job with the snow removal and preparation. I am often amazed how clear roads are, especially the interstate roads. I guess time will tell and I could be wrong, but I have thought the same thing with a weather event only for the games to be played. Then again I do not usually work games on Thursday so I see me working all my games this weekend.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 05:13am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
What's snow? It's only January!

Your Federal Govt is open.

You're welcome!
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
There's no snow on the ground right now here in Maine (which is VERY unusual for mid January), and the schools around here haven't used a single snow day, yet. (We usually budget three per winter.)

But that will change tomorrow, as 4-7 inches are expected. That's not overwhelming for us, but after looking at brown, frozen ground, we'll take it!

"How many will be working tomorrow?"
We all grinned and shook our heads.
Wasn't snowing in southern Maine when I left this morning but half an hour later we have an inch or so already down. Schools were cancelled before the first flake flew.

I took the risk and didn't even put my gear bag together last night since I didn't think I was going to need it today.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Rut is right, Illinois does a great job of snow removal. Love some southern states, two inches and they call out national guard and everyone winds up in a ditch

Found a way to convert my dishwasher to a snowblower, bought my wife a shovel
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:34am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Rut is right, Illinois does a great job of snow removal. Love some southern states (and the National Capital Region), two inches and they call out national guard and everyone winds up in a ditch.

Found a way to convert my dishwasher to a snowblower, bought my wife a shovel
Elaborated for you.....

A few yrs ago, during our SNOWMAGEDDON, I lost 19 games!

Game on!
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:39am

When I was in high school here in Chicagoland, I think we had one snow day in four years. A couple inches is nothing to worry about here. Fine by me, I'd much rather work then sit on my couch with a stiff drink in my hand...I think.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
When I was in high school here in Chicagoland, I think we had one snow day in four years. A couple inches is nothing to worry about here. Fine by me, I'd much rather work then sit on my couch with a stiff drink in my hand...I think.
ewww....

Oh -- you said "drink." Never mind.

(I'll stop chanelling my inner BillyMac now, as long as he promises no pictures related to this.)
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 11:13am

Well, with my last name, I'm no stranger to jokes.

Not sure I should go to my games tonight though, have had overtime two of the last three nights.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Snowed on Halloween in Mass and not a drop since.... Rain and more rain coming through this week.....
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 05:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Goes Around Comes Around ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
ewww....Oh -- you said "drink." Never mind.
Banned From The Forum Until Monday, January 16, 2012, 12:00 p.m.

Reason: Because My Mother Said So.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Once this week (I think) in a throw-away thread, vs. 3 or 4 times today in rules / mecahnics / philosophy threads that are still active. And on Jan 14 (or whenever) it had been a 1/2 dozen or more.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 08:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

They did cancel some games today, but I doubt it will be the case after tonight. Then again most boy's games are not today, but many schools did cancel lower level games. But there are some people I know still working based on the fact I attended an assignor's funeral today and many people there were officials. And I was with an assignor and he got one assignment cancelled but it was a Freshman game.

Peace