The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Shot Clock Reset - OSU v Illini game

Did anyone catch the tail end of the 1st half of this game? There was an inordinate amount of time spent looking at the tape in an effort to see if the shot clock should be reset. Valentine and Kitts kept having a back and forth discussion and ultimately decided to put the shot clock so that the shot clock would expire 2 seconds before the half. The announcers were clueless.

Situation was as follows - last minute of FIRST half. Team scores at about the 45-48 second mark and ball is rolling around the floor until it eventually gets tossed to the thrower in. He inbounds it within 5 seconds and it appears that it was touched in bounds just under the 35.0 mark. Shot clock is turned off (probably automatic if not reset by the35 second mark) A timeout was called with about 20 seconds left and Vanentine and Kitts get together (I guess in the back of their minds it seemed like there must have been more time on the clock).

Thing is, they showed the replay and the ball is clearly touched in bounds after the 35.0 mark. Why would it take more than 20 seonds to know the rule - shot clock starts when ball is touched in bounds; game clock doesn't stop in 1st half, etc. Almost 5 minutes of discussion and then to make a 2 second adjustment. One of them must have been confused, but pretty convincing....

Oh, well coaches seemed to buy the explanation and the game went on. Game Management more important than getting it right!

Last edited by CallMeMrRef; Thu Jan 12, 2012 at 09:01am. Reason: put wrong half information in the situation
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 04:57pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeMrRef View Post
Did anyone catch the tail end of the 1st half of this game? There was an inordinate amount of time spent looking at the tape in an effort to see if the shot clock should be reset. Valentine and Kitts kept having a back and forth discussion and ultimately decided to put the shot clock so that the shot clock would expire 2 seconds before the half. The announcers were clueless.

Situation was as follows - last minute of second half. Team scores at about the 45-48 second mark and ball is rolling around the floor until it eventually gets tossed to the thrower in. He inbounds it within 5 seconds and it appears that it was touched in bounds just under the 35.0 mark. Shot clock is turned off (probably automatic if not reset by the35 second mark) A timeout was called with about 20 seconds left and Vanentine and Kitts get together (I guess in the back of their minds it seemed like there must have been more time on the clock).

Thing is, they showed the replay and the ball is clearly touched in bounds after the 35.0 mark. Why would it take more than 20 seonds to know the rule - shot clock starts when ball is touched in bounds; game clock doesn't stop in 1st half, etc. Almost 5 minutes of discussion and then to make a 2 second adjustment. One of them must have been confused, but pretty convincing....

Oh, well coaches seemed to buy the explanation and the game went on. Game Management more important than getting it right!
Is bolded part a typo?
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Yes, that is a typo. last minute of FIRST HALF. surely makes a difference! If I can figure out how to edit it, I will.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 09:37am
Courageous When Prudent

I didn't see the OSU/Illini game but there was a long delay in the Wisc/Mich game in the 2nd half to get the clock straight. I was watching it without sound while working out so I don't know what the issue was.

Teddy V. was in that game also.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

In my game the game clock itself reset to 20:00 about 5 times. The shot clock had to be corrected about 8 times.

I don't think you'll find video from any of the major (or minor) networks.