The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:10am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Resumption-of-play procedure, perhaps? Line 'em up (assuming no T has been called), for a free throw with nobody in the shooting position (since the eligible shooter has left the area), put the ball on the floor, count to 10, whistle the violation, move on.
This wasn't after a TO so no RPP for free throws.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:14am
I miss being on the floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Resumption-of-play procedure, perhaps? Line 'em up (assuming no T has been called), for a free throw with nobody in the shooting position (since the eligible shooter has left the area), put the ball on the floor, count to 10, whistle the violation, move on.
That's one solution that was theorized yesterday.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:30am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
See Bob's post, #2 in this thread, and in the rulebook, 10-3-6i. Looks like it may have been added in as of 2010-11
Bob was joking.

10-3-6i, "to demonstrate resentment, disgust, or intimidation." While I think you could get him for taking off his jersey, I'm not getting him for leaving the court if it's obvious to everyone that he's quitting. For that matter, if that's obvious when he takes his jersey off (a big if), then as far as I'm concerned he's no longer on the team.

The rules weren't written with this scenario in mind, so you have to use common sense if it ever comes up. Just get a replacement player and move on. Sure, by rule, you can come up with at least 2, probably more, technical fouls to call; you could probably even justify sticking the coach with 10-5-5. But why?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
But why?
Because we don't have a mechanism for allowing a free thrower to just quit in the rules and we shouldn't allow the team to benefit from his insolence.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
but the intent of the rule is not about someone quitting the team. If the player leaves and never comes back all you are going to do is compound the issue. I do not think leaving the court for an unauthorized reason is a good call here. And if a player says he is leaving the floor and quitting the team, i think it is the common sense thing to do is move on. Now maybe the t comes already because you do not know if the player is quitting the team at the time, but i am certainly not going to t them for leaving.

Peace
+1
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:34am
Back from the DL

Quote:
10-3-6i, "to demonstrate resentment, disgust, or intimidation." While I think you could get him for taking off his jersey, I'm not getting him for leaving the court if it's obvious to everyone that he's quitting.
Doesn't someone typically quit out of resentment or disgust?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Because we don't have a mechanism for allowing a free thrower to just quit in the rules and we shouldn't allow the team to benefit from his insolence.
So you're only going to call a T if the quitting player is due to shoot free throws?

As Rut pointed out, the chance of the situation actually happening is so minimal the rules don't really address it. You don't need a mechanism; just let the sub shoot. If you feel so strongly that coach A might be trying to play a game, call the T. Or you could simply let coach B pick the shooter (stretching 2-3).

Personally, if I know from the start that the player is quitting, I'm just going to consider the player no longer eligible and let the sub shoot.

Let's change it slightly: A1 is due free throws. Coach calls timeout. After the timeout, coach informs you that A1 is suspended for something he said to the coach in the TO.

What do you do?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 10:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Doesn't someone typically quit out of resentment or disgust?
I don't think (opinion here) the rule was intended to address resentment towards the coach.

Look, there's rule support for calling it; I just don't think I'd apply it in this situation.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they're doing it to benefit, they'll just fake an injury.

Either way, it goes in the report, and if it's found to be any sort of planned act, then there will be other repercussions.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you're only going to call a T if the quitting player is due to shoot free throws?
No, I'm calling the T on any player, but I can see trying to get out of it with a non-shooter.

Quote:
As Rut pointed out, the chance of the situation actually happening is so minimal the rules don't really address it. You don't need a mechanism; just let the sub shoot. If you feel so strongly that coach A might be trying to play a game, call the T. Or you could simply let coach B pick the shooter (stretching 2-3).
I disagree, the rules lay out how and when a player may be substituted, and this isn't an allowable situation.

Quote:
Personally, if I know from the start that the player is quitting, I'm just going to consider the player no longer eligible and let the sub shoot.
But you can't know what the player's doing. You have no way of distinguishing a fit of pique that will be over in a minute from a kid who is hanging up his sneakers for all time. Since we can't know otherwise, we have to treat him as what the rules see him: a player who is required to shoot free throws.

Quote:
Let's change it slightly: A1 is due free throws. Coach calls timeout. After the timeout, coach informs you that A1 is suspended for something he said to the coach in the TO.

What do you do?
I tell the coach he's welcome to suspend him once he's no longer a player, but in the mean time I need him to shoot free throws.

My experience in soccer colors my opinion here. I've seen all kinds of crazy things done in an attempt to avoid yellow cards from tying shoes to faking serious injuries (we aren't supposed to give cards to players who are on the ground injured, which causes players to think if they stay on the ground long enough they won't get a card). If you want off the court, fine. But you're going to have to do it legally or accept the consequences.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I tell the coach he's welcome to suspend him once he's no longer a player, but in the mean time I need him to shoot free throws.
Really???
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Really???
Are you in the habit of allowing coaches to substitute for free throwers?
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
So if he tells you he is injured are you going to require a doctor's note or evaluation first too?

Peace
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are you in the habit of allowing coaches to substitute for free throwers?
Not in the habit, no. But if a coach tells me he tossed a kid from the team for his behavior, I'm not undercutting the coach by forcing him to let the kid play. I'm not sure how I'd proceed, but I would not force the coach's hand when he's trying to send the right message to his team.
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
So if he tells you he is injured are you going to require a doctor's note or evaluation first too?

Peace
Why would I? The rule allows for the substitution in the case of injury, but it doesn't allow substitution in the case of the coach doesn't want him in the game anymore. I don't see why that's hard to grasp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Not in the habit, no. But if a coach tells me he tossed a kid from the team for his behavior, I'm not undercutting the coach by forcing him to let the kid play. I'm not sure how I'd proceed, but I would not force the coach's hand when he's trying to send the right message to his team.
Right thing maybe but in the wrong way. Nothing is lost by the coach nailing his but to the bench at the next substitution opportunity and we don't break any rules doing it that way.

Last edited by Eastshire; Wed Jan 11, 2012 at 02:00pm.