The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Kid quits team during game. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/85590-kid-quits-team-during-game.html)

SNIPERBBB Tue Jan 10, 2012 06:35pm

Kid quits team during game.

Then throws his jersey at the coach and walks off the court. Whattya got?

bob jenkins Tue Jan 10, 2012 06:43pm

T for removing the jersey. T for leaving the court for an unauthorized reason.

Okay -- get a new kid in and resume the game.

Adam Tue Jan 10, 2012 06:59pm

Yep, play on. (2-3)

stiffler3492 Tue Jan 10, 2012 07:04pm

Not to derail this train...

...but my partner brought up something similar today. Not sure if this actually happened or not.

A1 is fouled in the act of shooting, and will shoot two. His coach is yelling at him for something, and the kid decides he's had enough. He mumbles something under his breath, and walks off the floor, visibly upset with the coach for yelling at him.

Obviously you'd have the T for leaving the floor, but assuming that's not his 5th foul, what next? He's not disqualified, and someone has to shoot the two free throws.

Adam Tue Jan 10, 2012 07:17pm

T for what?

stiffler3492 Tue Jan 10, 2012 07:19pm

Leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason. Nobody called timeout, the game is ready to resume with the free throws.

Adam Tue Jan 10, 2012 07:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 812128)
Leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason. Nobody called timeout, the game is ready to resume with the free throws.

That hasn't been a T in years.

stiffler3492 Tue Jan 10, 2012 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 812129)
That hasn't been a T in years.

See Bob's post, #2 in this thread, and in the rulebook, 10-3-6i. Looks like it may have been added in as of 2010-11

rickman5 Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:51pm

I had this exact situation in a game. During play, a kid on the bench got mad at the coach about playing time. Took his jersey off and walked across the scorers table towards the locker room. Coach got the indirect T.

Welpe Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:55pm

I think I'd leave this one alone.

stiffler3492 Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 812156)
I think I'd leave this one alone.

Which one?

Welpe Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:01pm

My post was in reference to the OP but I probably would in your sitch also. I've coached kids like this before and sometimes there is no getting through to them.

I don't see it as fair to punish a team for an out of control player that has removed himself from the game and has taken care of the problem for us. Not in this situation anyways. JMO.

rickman5 Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:02pm

A few years ago Georgia High School had a fit about a kid taking off his jersey and sitting on the bench after he fouled out in the state championship game.

stiffler3492 Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 812159)
My post was in reference to the OP but I probably would in your sitch also. I've coached kids like this before and sometimes there is no getting through to them.

I don't see it as fair to punish a team for an out of control player that has removed himself from the game and has taken care of the problem for us. Not in this situation anyways. JMO.

But what would happen next? The kid isn't injured or anything else. He shouldn't be off the floor.

Can't ignore the rules just because a kid is a problem

Welpe Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:16pm

What does he do after he leaves the floor? If he leaves the gym and never comes back IE quits the team then I'm not doing anything. This goes back to the thread we had here a while back about about a team suspending a player during the game. If he refuses to play, that becomes a team issue IMO.

Spirit and intent of the rule needs to be considered as well. If the player leaves the floor over a spat with his coach, I'm giving his coach leeway in dealing with the player. If he's doing it to protest a call, then I'm going to T him up.