The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 07:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Another wonderful girls HS summer league game. Team A is coached by the guy who runs the league. Team B is coached by "Beavis The Wonder Jerk". Team B has only 5 players. On the bench before the game, I notice one of his girls getting ready to put a band-aid on the nose of one of the other girls. I walk over and see a diamond stud pierced through her nose. I tell her it must come out if she is to play. She says she can't take it out, so I tell her she doesn't have to, but she can't play with it in.

Beavis goes berserk, saying that this is "ridiculous". He says that since it is not a "real" high school game, she should be able to play with it.

Coach A comes over and asks what the problem is. I tell him that a) the league rules that came to all of us from Juulie clearly stated in big letters: NO JEWELRY - NO EXCEPTIONS, and b) if I knowingly allow a player to wear jewelry, my liability insurance does not cover me.

He suggests we play 4 on 4 and that's fine with me. The other coach is pissed but agrees. We play for about 3 or 4 minutes when Beavis goes over to Coach A and tells him this is not working because he can't run his offense with only 4 players. Coach A asks me again if there's anything I can do. I tell him that it's his league, so if he wants to let her play, that's fine, but I won't work the game. He nods and tells me he understands and tells Beavis that she cannot play - period. Beavis throws up his hands and pulls his team off the floor.

He comes over to me and "wants my name". I tell him, and then offer to spell my last name slowly because it has two syllables and might be difficult for him to remember. He just stares. I offer him my card. He says sure, and after I hand it to him, he rips it up. I tell him he just killed two trees. He starts yelling and I tell him to save his breath, because he might need it that night to blow up his date.

He clams up when people start laughing at him and I leave.

On my way home, I stop at another gym where Juulie is doing evals and tell her what happened. Coach A also arrives, comes over to us and says he can't believe the girl wouldn't remove the stud.

Here's the kicker - I have this team again in the final game of the night on the final night of the season - and I'm working that game with Dave!!! I can hardly wait!
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Here's the kicker - I have this team again in the final game of the night on the final night of the season - and I'm working that game with Dave!!! I can hardly wait!
Ooooooooooh! Can we get tickets through Ticketmaster? Sounds like fun!!
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

I'm ready to make the flight reservations now . . .
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
I'm ready to make the flight reservations now . . .
Mark, can you say "Road Trip!"?
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 11:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

For those of you who are interested, the game will be at 8 pm on Wednesday, July 2 in the main gym at Tigard HS in Tigard OR. It's about 25 minutes from the Portland airport. You can email me for directions. There are also games at 5 and 6:30. Admission is free, and you get the added attraction of my son Josh, who says he is coming just to heckle that coach.

Ya' know, Juulie is using video equipment for her camp, and today she had it set up in that gym. Hmmmmmmm.
Old Sat Jun 14, 2003, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Ooooooooooh! Can we get tickets through Ticketmaster? Sounds like fun!!
And I have to miss it!! I'm going to be at camp.

Let's see, camp with college assignors and evaluators...

or Dave/Padgett, and Beavis....

WahHH!!!
Old Sun Jun 15, 2003, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

College conferences need officials every year, this combination sounds like once-in-a-lifetime!!!
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

Juulie,
Which Camp?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
College conferences need officials every year, this combination sounds like once-in-a-lifetime!!!
Well, seriously, I agree. But miss out on Dave + Padgett? That's a huge sacrifice!!
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Juulie,
Which Camp?
It's called Oregon Basketball Officials' Leadership Camp.

It's not really a college camp, it's for high school officials who hope to go to college eventually. But there will be college assignors there, watching (like Snoopy's vulture!!)

What I hope is that someone from here will go watch Dave+Padgett and report back!
Old Fri Jun 20, 2003, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

too funny..

that comment about "saving his breath to blow up his date" is one of the funniest i've ever heard.
I usually don't use those kinds of lines, but I might give that one a try.
Old Tue Jun 24, 2003, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Mark, I love to see u watch that game too. Unfortunately, 12 hours flight is too long for me to come.