The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Pre-Game Team Entrance Lap: T?

In our online state clinic it was mentioned that an emphasis on "sporting behavior" now includes a)the team taking a pre-game lap when entering the floor b)huddling at the midcourt circle and c)using the entire floor after the other team leaves the floor. These are now not allowed. What I'm not clear on is how to enforce and/or penalize it.

First, since teams enter the floor before 15:00 minutes A is probably moot. However, it's not uncommon for teams to run the 3-man weave on using the entire floor if the other team is gone. Are we going to call a T for unsporting behavior?

Has this come up in all states?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
In our online state clinic it was mentioned that an emphasis on "sporting behavior" now includes a)the team taking a pre-game lap when entering the floor b)huddling at the midcourt circle and c)using the entire floor after the other team leaves the floor. These are now not allowed. What I'm not clear on is how to enforce and/or penalize it.

First, since teams enter the floor before 15:00 minutes A is probably moot. However, it's not uncommon for teams to run the 3-man weave on using the entire floor if the other team is gone. Are we going to call a T for unsporting behavior?

Yup
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 04:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post

Our clinic included that teams are to stay on their half of the court during warm-ups regardless that the other team is not present.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 04:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Our clinic included that teams are to stay on their half of the court during warm-ups regardless that the other team is not present.
So did ours, but no penalty was described if they did. Figures.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Is it a direct on the head coach?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

I think the state wants it reported so they can deal with it. Must really becoming a turf problem of some sort.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Here in CA we were told that teams are to warm-up only on their side of the court, no matter if the other team is on the floor or not.

As for the pre-game lap around the court, we were instructed that this is not allowed at any time. The rationale we were given is that this is a form of intimidation and should be penalized as an unsporting act with a technical foul. I believe we were instructed that it is charged directly to the head coach, but I will double check this.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 04:56pm
In Memoriam

Entering the Wayback Machine....

They first had this as a POE back in 2002-03 when the NFHS rulesmakers identified it as becoming a problem. From that POE, the FED's instructions to us was that: "Officials should be prepared to be assess a technical foul to a team member/team demonstrating these unsporting acts. The specific inappropriate actions of a few team members may be individually penalized or the entire team may be assessed one technical foul if they collectively engage in any inappropriate behavior(s). Since all team members are considered bench personnel before the game and during intermissions, the head coach would also be charged indirectly with the technical foul."

Having cited that, I'd still recommending contacting your state office for direction.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 05:07pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

My instinct would to instruct the HC to stop, and issue a direct T to the HC if he doesn't comply; but that requires the HC to be around.
I would just add to the chorus of "contact your state." They may want you to go directly to the T, or they may want you to give the coach a chance to remember the new policy.
I'm surprised this is an issue; we ran the full court 3 on 2 on 1 drill when the other team went to the locker room; and it was never an issue.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

So here's a question for everyone.

My alma mater has been doing the full court lap for warmups since before I attended there, what can be done to cease this "unsporting" activity since it is actually illegal to do?
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 10:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chseagle View Post
So here's a question for everyone.

My alma mater has been doing the full court lap for warmups since before I attended there, what can be done to cease this "unsporting" activity since it is actually illegal to do?
If you're close enough to the coach to be able to talk to him, you can mention it. If the coach isn't open to your comments, don't bother. It seems like you're on good terms with the AD, so you could always ask him, in casual conversation, what the team has implemented to replace the full court warmup lap.

On game night? Do nothing, say nothing, to anyone. Don't stop the team from doing it; you're an impartial judge. Don't "remind" the officials to enforce the rule; you aren't really privy to the instructions they've been given on how to enforce it.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
If you're close enough to the coach to be able to talk to him, you can mention it. If the coach isn't open to your comments, don't bother. It seems like you're on good terms with the AD, so you could always ask him, in casual conversation, what the team has implemented to replace the full court warmup lap.

On game night? Do nothing, say nothing, to anyone. Don't stop the team from doing it; you're an impartial judge. Don't "remind" the officials to enforce the rule; you aren't really privy to the instructions they've been given on how to enforce it.
Generally pregame I'm too busy getting things setup/done to pay attention to what happens on the court until approx. 2 minutes left.

I know about the pregame routine however from when I was basketball manager, & before that when my wife was the Boys' Basketball Manager.

Those times I've had the opportunity these past few years to see the Varsity come out, I was either at halftime of a subvarsity game or was not working table at the time.

Last edited by chseagle; Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 10:22pm.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 10:23pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I honestly wouldn't do anything if I were you. Just let it play out; if the coach isn't smart enough to be aware of the change, he deserves it. I guarantee it'll only happen once. At most, it'll cost two points and one possession.
Old Tue Oct 26, 2010, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Kingsman1288
Just heard back from my association interpreter, and to follow up with my previous post, I was incorrect. The penalty is an indirect charged to the HC, not a direct. Hope this helps some.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 07:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsman1288 View Post
Just heard back from my association interpreter, and to follow up with my previous post, I was incorrect. The penalty is an indirect charged to the HC, not a direct. Hope this helps some.
So who gets the direct?