Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I think I'd have called a jump by instinct, but I'm not sure I should have. Probably it would depend on the level. Lower grades such as JH and Freshmen, probably a jump. JV and Varsity, if these are kids with skills and experience, call the travel. But even some JV teams have brand new players who really don't know how to "Play Through."
Your thinking on this intrigues me. I would think that at the lower levels (this was a 7th grade boys game), that calling the travel would be the more "instructive" thing to do. I.e., the kid that didn't take the shot would learn more from the turnover than he would if I had called the jump. Perhaps I don't understand enough about players at this age?
I wasn't thinking about it from an instructive point of view. I figure that at the lower levels kids aren't as skilled to "play through", in other words to stick to it. They don't have the perspective to see the possibilities. Someone got their hand on it, so the play is over, in their mind. I agree that this isn't a very good way to play, but I'm willing to allow a kid a year or two or three to get past it. So I'm saying I'd call the jump the instant the defender's hand is there and don't give the shooter time to travel. You're rewarding good defense, without penalizing the offense for being weak. They get enough other penalties. [/B]

mmmmmm....I dunno about this one. You call a held ball on A instead of the travel, and the arrow goes to A. Haven't you now negated good defense and rewarded weak offense? (Not fair to say B gets the next jump, assume 5 seconds left, A up by 1.)
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

...that's the reason we get the Big Buck$.
Big bucks? I don't know about that but I once almost hit a small doe on the way home from a game. Does that count?
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

...that's the reason we get the Big Buck$.
Big bucks? I don't know about that but I once almost hit a small doe on the way home from a game. Does that count?
Oh,deer!
Old Mon May 12, 2003, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Call it a travel

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef
if he traveled. The question is not clearly posed.
From the original post – “A1 returns to the floor without releasing the ball”

So, he traveled if you do not call it a jump ball.