View Single Post
Old Sat May 10, 2003, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
The situation:

A1 goes in for a layup, B1 reaches out and briefly touches the ball while it's still in A1's hand, then pulls his hand back--all while A1 is still in the beginning of his upward motion toward the basket. A1 returns to the floor without releasing the ball.

My question:

In my judgement, B1 did not block the shot, rather A1, expecting that B1 would block the shot, gave up and returned to the floor with the ball. Had he not given up on it, he could have easily gotten the shot off. I called it a travel. Was I right or wrong?
I think I'd have called a jump by instinct, but I'm not sure I should have. Probably it would depend on the level. Lower grades such as JH and Freshmen, probably a jump. JV and Varsity, if these are kids with skills and experience, call the travel. But even some JV teams have brand new players who really don't know how to "Play Through."

What you really don't want is a no-call.
I agree that no call would be the worst call (with apologies to ROMANO).

Your thinking on this intrigues me. I would think that at the lower levels (this was a 7th grade boys game), that calling the travel would be the more "instructive" thing to do. I.e., the kid that didn't take the shot would learn more from the turnover than he would if I had called the jump. Perhaps I don't understand enough about players at this age?

I called what looked obvious to me. Hopefully I'll get to the point soon where the jump ball is instinctive. Some days I still feel SOOOO new