The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Official equipment help

Let me start by saying thank you guys for the help you've already given me so far through reading the threads - I am in my second year, 20 years old, and using your experience is very valuable. So far I have experience doing intramurals, a high school churche league in which many local varsity players play in, and youth rec ball.

I have not yet joined my association but will in the near future - that is why I am asking here and not contacting them for this. I want to gather everything that I need to be "official" Pants, shirt (I have a shirt but I don't know if it is highschool approved), shoes, nfhs rule and case book, etc. I realize different associations in different states might have different standards, but I figured I could get decent help regardless

I just built these shoes on NikeID, and I'm not sure if the white NIKE is allowed - if not, can I just sharpie it?

Help with the other equipment would be great. Thanks
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 10:39pm
M.A.S.H.

What state you are in?

Officiating suppliers:

Honig's
Ump-Attire
Purchase Officials
Between The Lines

As far as your shoes, you should be fine; however, it does depend on your area and if it's an issue then, yes, a sharpie would work.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
What state you are in?

Officiating suppliers:

Honig's
Ump-Attire
Purchase Officials
Between The Lines

As far as your shoes, you should be fine; however, it does depend on your area and if it's an issue then, yes, a sharpie would work.
Kentucky. I tried the NFHS website and I could not for the life of me find out how to get an official rule book and case book, where could I get these if I wanted to get them before contacting my association?
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
Kentucky. I tried the NFHS website and I could not for the life of me find out how to get an official rule book and case book, where could I get these if I wanted to get them before contacting my association?
I get my rules, case books, etc. from my association every year. I would suggest going ahead and contacting them now to let them know your experience and that you are interested in joining.

Many people in my association wear shoes with A LOT more white or grey than is on the ones you showed. As noted above, it does depend on your association but I'm sure those are fine.

As for other equipment, I'd check out the websites above or just google "basketball officiating equipment/suppliers. There is no real official approved HS shirt. Again, I would check with your local association to see if there is any patch requirement or if they have issues with mesh/non mesh, side panels, etc.

Also, your association may have a relationship with a local vendor or somebody else.

Is there particular reason you think you need to have the books and all supplies first? I think your best bet would be to get in touch with your local org to make sure you are getting what's needed in your area.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 10:55pm
#thereferee99

Try this link

NFHS Basketball publications
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 10:57pm
Archaic Power Monger

If you go to National Federation of State High School Associations , you can order publications online.

I can't recommend Ump-Attire.com enough and use them as much as I can. Their ultimate referee shirts are fantastic and the customer service is top notch.
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Is there particular reason you think you need to have the books and all supplies first? I think your best bet would be to get in touch with your local org to make sure you are getting what's needed in your area.
I think you're right, I should just go ahead and contact them. I was hoping to read through the rule book since I have never actually read it. I have played basketball my whole life and was trained through 2 high school officials through my intramural department, but have never read the official rule book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
If you go to National Federation of State High School Associations , you can order publications online.
Out of the Handbook, Rule Book, Case Book, and Official's manual, which do I actually need?
Old Sun Jan 08, 2012, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you're right, I should just go ahead and contact them. I was hoping to read through the rule book since I have never actually read it. I have played basketball my whole life and was trained through 2 high school officials through my intramural department, but have never read the official rule book.

Out of the Handbook, Rule Book, Case Book, and Official's manual, which do I actually need?
Of the three the Rules Book is definitely a must have.

My association has a membership fee which covers several things including the books.

I would go ahead and check with them to see if there is a fee, what's included, and even if they have a special program for college students or can work with you on the fee. It may save you a few bucks in the end, which I know always helps when you are a student.

It's good that you're being proactive in trying to read the rules book. I know many veterans who thumb through it once a year for the exam and don't pick it up the rest of the season.

Again, I would go ahead and contact the association and let them know you have some experience but would like to pursue officiating seriously and are eager to learn. They'll be happy to hear from you.

I got my start in intramurals too and, except for a small detour into coaching, I've been officiating ever since.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
Of the three the Rules Book is definitely a must have.

My association has a membership fee which covers several things including the books.

I would go ahead and check with them to see if there is a fee, what's included, and even if they have a special program for college students or can work with you on the fee. It may save you a few bucks in the end, which I know always helps when you are a student.

It's good that you're being proactive in trying to read the rules book. I know many veterans who thumb through it once a year for the exam and don't pick it up the rest of the season.

Again, I would go ahead and contact the association and let them know you have some experience but would like to pursue officiating seriously and are eager to learn. They'll be happy to hear from you.

I got my start in intramurals too and, except for a small detour into coaching, I've been officiating ever since.
Thanks for your help. So far intramurals has been... Interesting to say the least. In our holiday tournament last semester, I was hit in the head with a basketball after calling a technical foul (needless to say he is banned for life)
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 10:23am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Kentucky.
Here's a good place to start:

Kentucky High School Athletic Association Officials Information
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Still being somewhat of a newbie myself (starting my 4th yr.) in addition to the three NFHS publications you listed above, I also found these two very helpful in learning and grasping the concept of the rules and their proper application:

NFHS 2011-2012 High School Rules Basketball Rules Simplified and Illustrated
NFHS 2011-2012 High School Basketball Rules By Topic
Rules, Caseplays, Rationales Linked
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 10:56am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Rule Book: The actual rules of basketball. This is a must-have.

Case Book: Has all of the "weird" situations and/or situations where different rules come into play, and what should be done when (not if, when) those situations occur in your game. Not absolutely required, but close.

Official's manual: This is the "how-to" of officiating... where to be, what to look at, signaling, mechanics, switching, and all that other stuff that we do that isn't directly listed in the rule book. Probably not required for rec/church ball, but will be when you move on to High School ball.

Handbook: Covers topics like "captain's duties", "historical background", "why rules change", etc. I bought one my first year of officiating... read about 1/3 of it, put it down, and haven't looked at it since.
Old Mon Jan 09, 2012, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure if the white NIKE is allowed - if not, can I just sharpie it?
I wouldn't worry about it. The bottom of your pants is going to cover it up 99.99% of the time.