Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 07:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Here's Johnny ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Some people do not like their name to be called in that situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Most definitely you should say his name. 99.99% of people wouldn't hear what the refs said to each other.
Two quotes, above, from another thread, that I didn't want to hijack, but that brought a situation to mind.

When I officiate a game, I think of the officiating crew as being a third team on the court, and I believe that communication within that team is essential to the success of that team. I am constantly making eye contact with my partner (mostly two man here in Connecticut), and having mini-conferences throughout the game, especially during intermissions, and during the later stages of the game.

With over 300 officials in my local board, it is very difficult to develop really good rapport with officials that you may only work with once, or twice, every five years, or so. Several times each year, I find myself working with officials that I've never worked with before, usually a younger official on his way up the ladder.

Trying to develop some instant good rapport, I refer to my partner, by name, several times a game. "Designated spot throwin after the time out, Johnny", is a good example.

A few seasons ago, I had a partner, a journeyman varsity official, like myself, who told me that he didn't like be called by name during the game. He was afraid that if the fans discovered his name, that they would use it against him, "Hey Johnny, don't quit your day job".

I silently disagreed with him, but filed his request in the deepest regions in my brain, for the next time that I worked with him, which hasn't occurred since.

Comments from the Forum?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 07, 2012 at 10:47am.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 08:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'm not good with names......

Billy - similar to you, we have a large Association, of which I am a new member. Many names to remember. I try to use their name's during the game when necessary as well. I find it builds rapport. Don't care what the fans think.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Two quotes, above, from another thread, that I didn't want to hijack, but that brought a situation to mind.

When I officiate a game, I think of the officiating crew as being a third team on the court, and I believe that communication within that team is essential to the success of that team. I am constantly making eye contact with my partner (mostly two man here in Connecticut), and having mini-conferences throughout the game, especially during intermissions, and during the later stages of the game.

With over 300 officials in my local board, it is very difficult to develop really good rapport with officials that you may only work with once, or twice, every five years, or so. Several times each year, I find myself working with officials that I've never worked with before, usually a younger official on his way up the ladder.

Trying to develop some instant good rapport, I refer to my partner, by name, several times a game. "Designated spot throwin after the time out, Johnny", is a good example.

A few seasons ago, I had a partner, a journeyman varsity official, like myself, who told me that he didn't like be called by name during the game. He was afraid that if the fans discovered his name, that they wold use it against him, "Hey Johnny, don't quit your day job".

I silently disagreed with him, but filed his request in the deepest regions in my brain, for the next time that I worked with him, which hasn't occurred since.

Comments from the Forum?
I can appreciate the anonymity.I've thought about having my name embroidered on my officials jacket on occasion and still may, but as you mentioned, do you want to advertise who you are? I'll call out partners name on occasion. If we have a loud game and someone doesn't catch a rotation a quick "Pete" gets their attention.

Best to me is in between free throws or bringin a sub "Partner, we're in the bonus down here" Again, these are verbal communications that are probably only heard by crew and 2/3 of players.

Watching a friend and another official the other day doing a rare two man varsity at a small school, small gym, small crowd. One official would verbalize every call at a volume that to me was annoying for the setting. That said, I'm probably too quiet and need to vocalize more.

My hearing also isn't the greatest and have told coaches to yell my name for timeouts if I don't catch it right away.

More to your point, I always try and use their name when having a private pow wow
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:48am
Do not give a damn!!

I think you are taking the comments a little out of context to make a point. I said there are some that do not want to hear their names and the guy in question did not want his name called on a missed rotation. That does not mean you should never use someone's name to communicate. And it certainly does not mean everyone gets upset by this either. Sometimes using someone's name is the only way they can know you are talking to them.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

It also depends (maybe) on the size of the crowd and the level of the game. Heck, 95% of the time, they announce our names before the game starts.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 12:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It also depends (maybe) on the size of the crowd and the level of the game. Heck, 95% of the time, they announce our names before the game starts.
There are also many places I go they know exactly who I am. It would be silly to get upset about someone knowing my name.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

When I have a game with a new partner, or someone I haven't worked with for a while, I ask him/her, in our pre-game if it's okay that I address them by their name, during our game. Sometimes, I get a quisical expression from them, as they've never been asked, before.
If they say they'd rather not, (and I don't recall when that last happened), I address them as "partner", during our game. It really doesn't matter to me. It's just a matter of respect for their preference, and a conversation starter.

Last edited by Rob1968; Sat Jan 07, 2012 at 12:04pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 12:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Billy, Billy, Bo, Illy, Banana, Fanna, Foe, Filly, Fee, Fie, Moe, Milly, Billy ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think you are taking the comments a little out of context to make a point. I said there are some that do not want to hear their names and the guy in question did not want his name called on a missed rotation. That does not mean you should never use someone's name to communicate. And it certainly does not mean everyone gets upset by this either. Sometimes using someone's name is the only way they can know you are talking to them.
Yes, I was taking your comment out of context, which is why I decided to start a new thread. Your comment, and the comment from JugglingReferee, reminded me of my situation, and I wondered what other Forum members thought about calling their partners, by name, during a game in progress.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 12:08pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
They did that at a decent percentage of schools when I was in Northern California. Good lord I hated that.

I think it's fine and a good thing to use names during the game. Worked with two "Johns" last night, and it was still fine.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 12:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP View Post
They did that at a decent percentage of schools when I was in Northern California. Good lord I hated that.

I think it's fine and a good thing to use names during the game. Worked with two "Johns" last night, and it was still fine.
I had two Johns the other day, one of them is particularly fond of using names. I've never heard anyone complain, and I've heard exactly the same number of people yell our names from the stands.
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 06:01pm
Administrator

First, I don't care what you call me as long as you don't call me late for dinner.

Second, as Billy said in his OP, the officiating crew is the third team on the court (field or diamond) and it is natural and normal for everybody in the crew address each other by first name (exception: MTD, Jr. addresses me as Dad because I am his father, ).

My question is: How does the official who doesn't want to be addressed by his name, want to be addressed by his partners: Hey you!

Kind of non-sensical if you ask me.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. Actually I prefer to be addressed as Your Greatness, .
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sat Jan 07, 2012 at 06:02pm. Reason: Added P.S.