Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 04:21pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
I'm a second year official, LOL.
Yeah ... doesn't count then

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortmoney View Post
I've been lurking this forum for a few Weeks and seeing this thread finally prompted me to join.

It is amazing how much calmer I am toward officials now that I am one. I usually spend more time watching them than the actual game, amazed by their demonstrative mechanics and strong calls

Thank you guys for all your help so far, just from reading all these threads
Welcome to the forum ... college is probably the best time to start officiating. If you love it and stick with it, there is a ton of opportunity ahead for you!
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 05:09pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Nope, players are legally on the court, so you can never have more than five players from either team at any one time. You can have six team members participating.
So if a team has 6 on the floor, it has no players?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 07, 2012, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Welcome to the forum ... college is probably the best time to start officiating. If you love it and stick with it, there is a ton of opportunity ahead for you!
That's what I hope! I'm always trying to become a better official and to move up
Old Wed Jan 11, 2012, 05:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Play situation – six players on court

Discuss amongst yourselves:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAA bulletin
In a recent game, six players participated in the game for one team. Several officials and administrators asked for clarification and we are releasing the following play situation:

SITUATION: Team A has six players on the playing court when the ball is made live with five seconds remaining in the game. A1’s successful field goal attempt is in the air when the time expires ending the game. Immediately after the expiration of time and before the officials have left the playing court, one of the officials observes that Team A had six players on the court when the basket was scored. What is the correct ruling?

RULING: The field goal shall count because A6 became a player when the ball became alive (Rule 3-4.1.c). However, the game has not ended since the officials have not left the court, which ends their jurisdiction and approves the score. The officials should award Team B two free throws and the game will continue with an overtime period if both free throws are successful (Rule 2-4.4, 5-7.7. and 10-2.6).

Further Comment: Rule 10-2.6 requires that the sixth player participate when the ball is alive. There is no time limit within which the officials have to recognize and penalize this technical foul. However, the officials must see the violation occur or have personal knowledge that it did occur in order to penalize the infraction. A monitor may not be used to obtain such knowledge (Rule 10-2.6, 2-13.2 and 5-7.7).

Hopefully this clarification will assist officials with the understanding and application of these rules. Thank you for your attention to this information.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jan 11, 2012 at 05:07pm.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, the officials must see the violation occur or have personal knowledge that it did occur in order to penalize the infraction. (Rule 10-2.6, 2-13.2 and 5-7.7).
What would "Personal Knowledge" mean besides seeing 😳 6 players?
- 3 officials get together after the expiration of time and one says I remember seeing players #1 & #2. The other 2 say they saw #3, #4 & #5, #10 respectively. Does this constitute "Personal Knowledge"?
- What if there is a standby official at the table that tells the officials there were 6 players. Is this "Personal Knowledge"? What if it is the Timer or Scorekeeper that tells the officials there were 6 players?

I'm surprised they don't make this a reviewable play. I'm thinking "Personal Knowledge" is a flexable way to give the officials a chance to get it right when it is obvious to everyone (but the referees) in the gym what happened.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart View Post
What would "Personal Knowledge" mean besides seeing �� 6 players?
It still means seeing the players.

Just not "seeing the violation" which can only happen while the ball is live.

So, the game ends and you now see 6 "players" -- enforce the T.

You see someone run off the court and turn back and still count 5 players -- enforce the T.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 09:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
It still means seeing the players.

Just not "seeing the violation" which can only happen while the ball is live.

So, the game ends and you now see 6 "players" -- enforce the T.

You see someone run off the court and turn back and still count 5 players -- enforce the T.
That's what I'm thinking. The official's memory (and integrity) are to be used as definite knowledge.
Old Thu Jan 12, 2012, 10:17am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
What would "Personal Knowledge" mean besides seeing 😳 6 players?
- 3 officials get together after the expiration of time and one says I remember seeing players #1 & #2. The other 2 say they saw #3, #4 & #5, #10 respectively. Does this constitute "Personal Knowledge"?
- What if there is a standby official at the table that tells the officials there were 6 players. Is this "Personal Knowledge"? What if it is the Timer or Scorekeeper that tells the officials there were 6 players?
I think that all of those would qualify as personal knowledge.

Quote:
I'm surprised they don't make this a reviewable play. I'm thinking "Personal Knowledge" is a flexable way to give the officials a chance to get it right when it is obvious to everyone (but the referees) in the gym what happened.
Wouldn't be surprised to see the rule changed next year that would make this reviewable.