The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 12:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If I'm volunteering somewhere, and I get treated like a POS, you can bet I'm going to consider leaving. I'm not a door mat.

Recent studies have shown that people have more respect 99 cents apps than the free apps. The same goes for officiating. Pay the guys just $10 an hour if costs are an issue. Then there will be more respect for officials.
I remember my best supervisor (who's since passed) once said when asked by an official who wanted to know how to handle really bad behavior during a scrimmage (which in that locale, we did for free).

He said, "Don't ever call a technical during a scrimmage. Nobody would care. The game doesn't count anyway. You're working for free. Put the ball on the table and go to the house."

Reminds me of another quote that I'd never use, but is good for a chuckle when drinking a beer after a long day of baseball:

I do a lot of volunteer Little League (I did one of their World Series tournaments last year and am working a Little League Regional this summer) baseball in the summer. My favorite line is one I heard at a regional about 5 years ago:

"When I work a college game, I make $100 and I take $100 worth of bull#$%@. When I work I high school game, I make $50 and I take $50 worth of bull#$%@. When I work Little League I get no money and I take no bull#$%@."
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
"When I work a college game, I make $100 and I take $100 worth of bull#$%@. When I work I high school game, I make $50 and I take $50 worth of bull#$%@. When I work Little League I get no money and I take no bull#$%@."
Great point Rich. When I read the OP, I thought twice why hadn't the VC been tagged yet?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:27pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastkidpicked View Post
My question for you:
What is the best line you have ever heard from an official (or line that you have personally used)?
Since I'm not a stand up comedian, or Dennis Miller, I don't have a best line. The coaches, assigners, and partners I have worked with would rather have good officiating than someone concerned with delivering a clever comment.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
The coaches, assigners, and partners I have worked with would rather have good officiating than someone concerned with delivering a clever comment.
What if you can do both?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 02:51pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I'm out......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
What if you can do both?
It has been established in a previous thread that I can't even ref and chew gum at the same time!
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

similar situation

I had a similar situation happen a couple of years ago in a intrasquad scrimmage. My partner works at the school as a PE teacher and called me to help him with the scrimmage at his school. During the first half a parent is constantly berating us on every call and at halftime my partner approaches the man, tells him that we are both volunteering time (and I drove an hour from my house) and that we would appreciate if he cools down. Not a word was said for the second half. Tastefully done by my P and the gentleman got the point.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

My best line......

",............................................... "
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 04:48pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
What if you can do both?
Answer: a name and a description
Question: what is Fiasco?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Since I'm not a stand up comedian, or Dennis Miller Conan O'Brien, I don't have a best line.
You misspelled Conan O'Brien.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

I'm actually pretty funny in my non-ref life, but the one time I tried humor it went horribly wrong. That's it, no more! I'm pleasant and hopefully approachable, but my humor skills are kept in my bag.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 05:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
Not a newbie, not a vet. What do you call a 3rd year guy?
Late to dinner?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 07:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Occupy The Forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Just call me a 1%er.
Hey. No politics on the Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 07:10pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes2255 View Post
I had a similar situation happen a couple of years ago in a intrasquad scrimmage. My partner works at the school as a PE teacher and called me to help him with the scrimmage at his school. During the first half a parent is constantly berating us on every call and at halftime my partner approaches the man, tells him that we are both volunteering time (and I drove an hour from my house) and that we would appreciate if he cools down. Not a word was said for the second half. Tastefully done by my P and the gentleman got the point.
But were you having a bad game and/or should volunteering mean that that fans and players can be okay with substandard officiating.

Just asking the question not condoning the fan's behavior.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
But were you having a bad game and/or should volunteering mean that that fans and players can be okay with substandard officiating.

Just asking the question not condoning the fan's behavior.
Well, it was my first game of the season and since it was before preseason had started I may have been a tad rusty. That being said, it was a girls game and their first of the season as well, so the mixture of the two may have contributed. I would like to think it was more bad basketball and a overzealous dad than my substandard officiating.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Answer: a name and a description
Question: what is Fiasco?
That was a funny joke, but you didn't answer the question.