The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 04:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Extra points for T's

I'm working a huge MS tournament this weekend (177 games total - no, not me, that's for the entire tournament) and I just got a copy of the rules. One thing I noticed was that the penalty for a "non-administrative" technical is two points, two shots and the ball. Man, that should discourage bad behavior, I hope.

BTW - I noticed some guys are working eight games in a row with a one hour break and there's a few who are working a straight seven game shift without a break! Fortunately, the games are running halves and about half of them are in a middle school and an elementary school, but the other half are in standard HS gyms. All of mine are in a middle school gym. Still, I'm stocking up on my meds.

Oh yeah, I looked at the full schedule and I know a few of the coaches whose games I'll have. I'll be sure to inform them of the technical rule in advance.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 04:35pm
TODO: creative title here

Local rec league I work around here has a "2 points and the ball" rule for all technical fouls. Never heard of the "2 points + 2 shots + ball" one though.

I've also done 7-games-in-a-row sets in the rec league... luckily, those are usually in small gyms, with younger kids (11U, 12U, sometimes 14U). Once did a 7-game rec tourney on full size courts... even for a guy in his early 30s that was too much, it took me about 3 days to recover.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 04:48pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I'm working a huge MS tournament this weekend (177 games total - no, not me, that's for the entire tournament) and I just got a copy of the rules. One thing I noticed was that the penalty for a "non-administrative" technical is two points, two shots and the ball. Man, that should discourage bad behavior, I hope.

BTW - I noticed some guys are working eight games in a row with a one hour break and there's a few who are working a straight seven game shift without a break! Fortunately, the games are running halves and about half of them are in a middle school and an elementary school, but the other half are in standard HS gyms. All of mine are in a middle school gym. Still, I'm stocking up on my meds.

Oh yeah, I looked at the full schedule and I know a few of the coaches whose games I'll have. I'll be sure to inform them of the technical rule in advance.
Imagine a scenario where Team A is up by 8 late late in the game. Mark thinks, "what could happen?" and calls a "non-administrative" technical on A11. B makes both FTs.

When B inbounds the ball, they throw up a 3-point prayer, and it goes in! And the other official has a foul on the shot - clock reads 0:00.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 05:11pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Since the player is such a good shot......

Mark would probably consult with his much more Jr partner and convince him it was intentional!
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Baby Needs A New Pair Of Shoes ...

Quote:
I noticed some guys are working eight games in a row with a one hour break and there's a few who are working a straight seven game shift without a break!
I bet that they don't switch on every foul. Any takers?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 06:09pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We don't do that in high school.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 06:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For rec ball, I'd only switch on shooting fouls. I'd switch exactly 0% of the time otherwise.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 06:39pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Mark would probably consult with his much more Jr partner and convince him it was intentional!
Wouldn't matter. The shot came after the horn.

BTW - I was thinking about the "extra" two point rule and it came to me that you would be required to give the extra two points if there was a technical for maybe some profanity by a player who was mad at himself for missing a layup (or some other reason that "barely" calls for a T) but there would not be the extra two points for a flagrant personal foul that could consist of a player punching another player in the mouth (or whatever) during a live ball. Doesn't seem equitable to me. Of course, in that case, you'd also have an ejection, but no "automatic" points.

Also BTW - regarding switching. In games like this, my partner and I usually agree to switch "when it makes sense". I think you guys probably understand that concept.
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 06:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
BTW - I was thinking about the "extra" two point rule and it came to me that you would be required to give the extra two points if there was a technical for maybe some profanity by a player who was mad at himself for missing a layup (or some other reason that "barely" calls for a T) but there would not be the extra two points for a flagrant personal foul that could consist of a player punching another player in the mouth (or whatever) during a live ball. Doesn't seem equitable to me. Of course, in that case, you'd also have an ejection, but no "automatic" points.
Local rules, fools and that whole bit...
Old Wed Jan 04, 2012, 10:25pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
One thing I noticed was that the penalty for a "non-administrative" technical is two points, two shots and the ball.
How much do you think this deters unsportsmanlike conduct?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 07:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

We're Going To Look Impotent ...

Quote:
In games like this, my partner and I usually agree to switch "when it makes sense". I think you guys probably understand that concept.
No I don't. That's very unprofessional. Here in my little corner of Connecticut, in games like this, we switch, "when convenient". Now that's the way that professionals do it. We're what you call experts at games like this.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 07:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Bazinga ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Isn't every single partner, in every single game, considered to be a junior partner to Mark Padgett. I seriously doubt that he would ever work in Ohio, with Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. But if he did, I don't know who would be older? They both voted for Roosevelt, "Teddy" Roosevelt, that is.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 06, 2012 at 06:25pm.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2012, 09:15am
Archaic Power Monger

Oh brother...