The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 01:56pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
NFL referee pay is surprisingly low compared to MLB umpires.
Per game?
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 01:57pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
I saw the Missouri Valley's pay scale a while back. It started around $1200/game and went over $2000/game depending on what "tier" you are in. Pretty sure that didn't include lodging/airfare/per diem. Basketball is the most lucrative sport. Even the big baseball conferences only pay around $1000 for a series.

NFL referee pay is surprisingly low compared to MLB umpires.
A lot more games in MLB (~10 times).
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 01:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Doing His Homework ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Why does it really matter? I understand discussing it out of curiosity, but your dissertation borders on an unhealthy obsession.
Choosing a career path? Let's see? Twenty-five games? At $3000.00 per game? Minus expenses? No. He's not quiting his day job. Wait a minute. I've heard the same thing from several fans over the past thirty-plus years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 31, 2011 at 02:17pm.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why does it really matter? I understand discussing it out of curiosity, but your dissertation borders on an unhealthy obsession.
Stick with the curiosity part.

Clicked on the link and noted that there were several D-1 that worked over 100 games over the years. At 3,000 plus expenses versus 3,000 minus expenses there could be a huge difference in the actual game fee. Making 300k for a season plus expenses versus making 100k plus expenses would be quite a swing. For 3,000 plus expenses for 100 games, one would definitely not need another job.

And yes, Steratore makes out much better at 6k per game by now on the way to 8k per game by year 20 in the NFL, than he would at 3k per D-1 basketball game. But, at 300k per year through officiating, he does not need another job.

Just peeked my curiosity, and I found the numbers interesting. That's all. Sorry if I offended or went overboard. Thanks for your help.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 02:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You're Excused, This Time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tballump View Post
Sorry if I offended or went overboard.
One thing that I've learned since I retired from public school teaching, and now work in private industry: Never, never ever, discuss your pay with your colleagues. And don't discuss religion, sex, or politics, at work either.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 02:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Clicked on the link and noted that there were several D-1 that worked over 100 games over the years. At 3,000 plus expenses versus 3,000 minus expenses there could be a huge difference in the actual game fee. Making 300k for a season plus expenses versus making 100k plus expenses would be quite a swing. For 3,000 plus expenses for 100 games, one would definitely not need another job.

And yes, Steratore makes out much better at 6k per game by now on the way to 8k per game by year 20 in the NFL, than he would at 3k per D-1 basketball game. But, at 300k per year through officiating, he does not need another job.

Just peeked my curiosity, and I found the numbers interesting. That's all. Sorry if I offended or went overboard. Thanks for your help.
Sorry if I came across snippy, I think I let my political aversion to people complaining about how much money other people make color the way I read your post.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 02:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Clicked on the link and noted that there were several D-1 that worked over 100 games over the years....
I know one of those officials who is always at the top of the numbers list. I'll repeat, not every game is $3K. NEC, MAAC, CAA, Southern, etc are the games that fill out those schedules when they are not working ACC, SEC, etc. You're basing your numbers on a faulty assumption.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 02:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Occupy The Forum ...

Quote:
Sorry if I came across snippy, I think I let my political aversion to people complaining about how much money other people make color the way I read your post.
Are you the 1%, or the 99%? I really want to see snippy. Go for it. Don't be bashful. Don't hold back.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 31, 2011 at 03:01pm.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Per game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
A lot more games in MLB (~10 times).
Yeah I thought of that after I posted.

I guess there's a tradeoff: In baseball, you travel a lot more but don't need a second job. In football, most of the time you would need a second job but don't have to travel nearly as much.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:15pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

I guess there's a tradeoff: In baseball, you travel a lot more but don't need a second job. In football, most of the time you would need a second job but don't have to travel nearly as much.
I think the NFL guys should get a big big raise.

Working the NFL should include great pay to live off of. The NFL makes sooo much money, it isn't funny.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I think the NFL guys should get a big big raise.

Working the NFL should include great pay to live off of. The NFL makes sooo much money, it isn't funny.
Agreed.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Ref Pay

The $ 3,000 is everything. Some of the conferences have gone to a flat fee and the ref has to take care of their own travel expenses.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Not unless you are a Major League guy and a top of the line fill in. Otherwise you need another job. And one of the reasons mostly the very young even think about doing pro baseball.

A football official in the NFL has not much of a different lifestyle than a college or even High school official.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not unless you are a Major League guy and a top of the line fill in. Otherwise you need another job. And one of the reasons mostly the very young even think about doing pro baseball.

A football official in the NFL has not much of a different lifestyle than a college or even High school official.

Peace
I was speaking of MLB only, not MiLB, as it's an entirely different animal.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 06:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I was speaking of MLB only, not MiLB, as it's an entirely different animal.
You have to work to that level too. So the regular job a D1 guy would have is totally different than a baseball umpire would have in rare cases.

That was my point and why most sports officials have a profession or business on the side. All games are not at the top rate unless you are a Final Four official and you are working consistently in the bigger conferences.

Peace