The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should local assoc set a uniform shirt standard?
Yes 28 51.85%
No 26 48.15%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 09:39am
Get away from me, Steve.

We are expected to wear shirts with no side panel. No patches (other than an American flag, which is optional and placed on the sleeve) are allowed or expected. I have some issues with WI being behind the times (especially in how they handled the whole 3-person officiating thing), but they're spot on by not requiring patches on shirts.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 09:47am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Uniforms should be a state thing.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:47am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Uniforms should be a state thing.
+1

Local associations shouldn't dictate uniform rules. They can't for players' unis and they shouldn't for officials.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Sat Dec 31, 2011 at 10:52am.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Iaabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Missouri requires the state patch on the left sleeve and does not allow the grey pinstripe shirts. Side panels or regular stripes are fine, and most everyone has both. I don't know of any local associations that wear their own patch also, but they may be out there. I know some baseball groups in Missouri have their own patches.
If you are a member of IAABO, then you are required to wear a shirt with the current IAABO patch for the IAABO assignment.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 11:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
If you are a member of IAABO, then you are required to wear a shirt with the current IAABO patch for the IAABO assignment.
A great reminder that there's yet another organization with it's fingers in the pie.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 11:52am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Required by whom? The only authority that matters is the guy who assigns my games.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Required by whom? The only authority that matters is the guy who assigns my games.
Snaqs:

In the particular case that Zoochy is referring to, one assignor in our area exclusively uses officials from a local association that is IAABO affiliated (board 173) and requires the IAABO patch for his games.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 12:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The state office here says all shirts must be uniform for the crew.
And a VHSL patch is required.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 12:43pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If you can believe this, last year one of my rec assignors started to require we wear the gray striped shirts for the games he assigned. He set himself up to sell them to the refs. He said we would have up to one season to get them but then everyone had to wear them to all games or he would drop you from his list. This one season of "leeway" resulted in partners wearing different shirts, (I would bring both styles to games to match my partner) but since this is MS rec, it was no big deal. I bought two (not from him) since I worked for him two or three nights a week.

Now, it's a new season this year and he has been replaced as the assignor by that organization for the area in which I live. The new assignor expects everyone to wear the "standard" shirt. This means I have two of the gray striped ones just hanging in my closet, possibly forever.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 12:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Snaqs:

In the particular case that Zoochy is referring to, one assignor in our area exclusively uses officials from a local association that is IAABO affiliated (board 173) and requires the IAABO patch for his games.
Gotcha.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 12:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut Is 100% IAABO, We've Got The State All Locked Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
One assignor in our area exclusively uses officials from a local association that is IAABO affiliated.
One? Implying more than one?

Here in the Land of Steady Habits, the entire state is 100% IAABO, as far as high school games, private prep school games, and many middle school games, are concerned. The state is divided into five local boards, pretty much divided up along county borders. Within each of the five local boards there is one, and only one, assignment commissioner, hired by each of the local boards, and that assignment commissioner assigns all high school games, private prep school games, and many middle school games, in that local board's geographic area.

Outside of recreation leagues, travel teams, etc., we never, ever, work with an official who is not an IAABO official from our local board. This even includes state tournament games, when crews are assigned by the state interscholastic governing body, with all members of that crew of two, or three, coming from the same local board.

Underneath our warmup jackets, that do show some local variations, we all look exactly the same. IAABO emblem on upper left of chest. American flag patch on middle of upper back. One exception, here, in my little corner of Connecticut, belts are neither encouraged, nor are they discouraged.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 31, 2011 at 01:11pm.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

NYS is all IAABO for boys High School games. IAABO patch left breast, American Flag top center back of shirt. Girls High School is NCAA Women's shirt. Flag on Left sleeve. All must wear the appropriate shirt depending on boys or girls game.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 11:03pm
wife loves the goatee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The state office here says all shirts must be uniform for the crew.
Here in the Richmond area, that standard is a joke. WAY too many crews with mismatched (wide and regular) stripes.
Old Sat Dec 31, 2011, 11:04pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJ1960 View Post
Here in the Richmond area, that standard is a joke. WAY too many crews with mismatched (wide and regular) stripes.
Wouldn't fly here. Before the wide were authorized, we got repeated emails about guys wearing college uniforms. Now, the rule is all wear the same.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2012, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffler3492 View Post
In my area, which I think is different from a lot of your areas, there are so many conferences and so many different associations, you don't always work with a partner from the same association. That's why I voted no. The standard stripes are the ones we use, but Illinois recently started embroidering the IHSA logo on the left breast. Some officials have it, some don't. The state hasn't said that the new shirts are mandatory.
Partially true. I believe just one supplier chose to have two position embroidery of same logo on same side of shirt, which is pretty silly. Most suppliers have left sleeve logo. IMHO other shirt looks like something out of nascar.