Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Relax, I'm just having fun with it.
Who says I'm not relaxed? It's Christmas Eve, I'm hanging out in the kitchen making goodies and eating chips and salsa. It's a good day.

Still kinda weird.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

I've found him!!

That guy's next call will be the multiple foul...I'm just sure of it now...If only I could know where his next assignment is...hope it's a tv game
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Visible Counts For Everything But Three Seconds ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
it's not the official's call, and he called it too early ...
... and, although we don't know for sure, he probably didn't have a visible count.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 01:29pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Who says I'm not relaxed? It's Christmas Eve, I'm hanging out in the kitchen making goodies and eating chips and salsa. It's a good day.

Still kinda weird.
Maybe I'm just projecting...my in laws are here. Nothing says Christmas like getting the family that can't stand each other together!
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 01:31pm
This IS My Social Life

. . . For the Rest of Us

Quote:
Maybe I'm just projecting...my in laws are here. Nothing says Christmas like getting the family that can't stand each other together!
You should switch to celebrating Festivus instead. At least the grievances would be out in the open.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 02:37pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
You should switch to celebrating Festivus instead. At least the grievances would be out in the open.
That doesn't require a holiday with my family.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 02:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
That doesn't require a holiday with my family.
Yeah, but at least with a holiday you get food.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 03:52pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
...a five-second throw-in violation, when you weren't administering?

It's been a busy couple of days as far as Christmas preparations and the like go, so I've mostly been following this thread on the phone while out and about. My single post thus far was while sitting at the Wisconsin / Mississippi Valley State game yesterday afternoon. I'll try to summarize my thoughts with some quick bulletpoints:

-- Yes, I was the "new trail."

-- Yes, I had a bus driven over me then had it stop, reverse, and back over me again.

-- garef314: My count in neither throw-in was *slow*. I timed the first throw-in (the one after the timeout) with a stopwatch and it's 3.5 seconds from handing her the ball until she released the throw-in. If you watch the video again, I'm between 3 and 4 on my count when the ball was released. Exactly how is that slow?

-- I was hyper-aware of the situation and remained so during the entire play until I got hit by the bus. The ball went through the basket with 8 seconds remaining in the game. But as we all know the five second count doesn't begin until the ball is at the disposal of the thrower-in. I was aware that the new offense might try to delay here, but I'm not going to change how I administer the count just because the home team had used up all their timeouts and because there were only 8 seconds left in the game. I started counting at the exact same place I would've at any other point in the game.

-- I started the count when the clock was between 5 and 6 seconds left in the game. Yes, I had an eye on the ball and thrower-in and another on the clock. I would've had a violation, likely, with less than a second left in the game had it gotten that far. The bus arrived before that.

-- tomegun: I was angry, angrier than I've ever been on a court before or since. And yet, watching the video, I feel I'm about as composed as I could've possibly been, given the circumstances. I used to gesture with my hands and arms when talking, but I've really worked on not doing that and I'm happy that my hands, for the most part, stay by my sides.

-- I moved to a new town in 2008 and this game was in December of 2009 -- I drove separately. After the game, I went in the locker room, changed clothes quickly without showering, and left without saying a word. I was as close to the edge as I've ever been before or since.

-- My partner was not the senior official. Yes, he's older by about 8-10 years, but I was 40 at the time in my 23rd season of working high school basketball and at least 18 years since I started regularly working varsity games. Who the R was is irrelevant, really -- we always take turns with the duties and we decide at the school who the R will be on a given night.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how I could've handled that situation better. I've spent a lot of time thinking about that situation when I'm the senior guy working with a relatively new person. Even though I didn't fit that description, I never want to be someone who steps on a partner like this for *any* reason.

The aftermath is that the winning coach (the home team did not hit their last shot) was more appalled at our disagreement than the call (which, knowing the typical rural girls' coach -- he had no clue that the new lead couldn't make this call). He contacted the commissioner himself and the commissioner called me a few days later. I explained to the commissioner exactly what had happened and he, too, was more concerned about the appearance of us disagreeing on the court than with what that official did, although he knew enough that he couldn't believe that the lead would make such a call. I still work for that assignor -- but only 1-2 dates a year (my choice -- he only has one school less than an hour from my house).

I deleted the original thread because one poster decided to come onto the thread and use it as an excuse to blast me, for whatever reason. BTW, I never said this was a terribly well-officiated game. It was a sloppy, foul-ridden game with the score in the low 30s. I think it's hard for any crew to look good in a game like this.

I really don't want to relive this over and over every couple of seasons, but if anyone has any questions, go ahead. Or PM me. I refuse to deal with personalities. On the other hand, film don't lie.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Dec 24, 2011 at 03:54pm.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 03:59pm
We don't rent pigs

Was this typical for this guy? Did he make other calls across the court in front of you?

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 04:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Rich,

You had every right to be ticked off. I think you handled it better than most would have.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Rich,

You had every right to be ticked off. I think you handled it better than most would have.
Amen to that. The self control you demonstrated in a situation when I would be tempted to physically remove my partner's head from his shoulders is amazing.

And it sucks, Rich, that you got dumped on the first time you tried to talk about this situation, and again this time.

That's one of the things I really don't like about this board sometimes (and I do it too...I'm trying to improve), is the unintentional game of "gotcha" that we all get into from time to time, trying to find something relatively unrelated to nitpick (oh, your count was slow....which it wasn't) while ignoring the larger message (you got rolled over by a Mac truck...what can we all learn from this situation) in an effort to make ourselves look better, smarter or more experienced. I wish we all did a little less of it, or at least approached it in a much less condescending way.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 04:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Exactly.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 05:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well this was posted all over a couple of other places, so do not feel bad. When it is on YouTube, it is out of your control. But it is a learning experience for sure for all of us. I like tapes like this as it gets to show how a game ending situation can get us in trouble. Rich did nothing wrong here and as far as I am concerned he handled himself well considering everything that took place. The other officials was just dead wrong and I would really like an explanation why he felt this was his duty to make this call in the first place. This is about as rookie a rookie mistake can be.

Peace
A big part of me wishes I could read an explanation from the calling official on that play.
Old Sat Dec 24, 2011, 05:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
A big part of me wishes I could read an explanation from the calling official on that play.
It would have to be from bizzaro world. Three is in no rule, mechanic or standard that makes him call and even weirder for it to take place at this time of the game. I just do not understand this at all.

Peace