The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Called my first...

Tonight I called my first strike on a batter without him being in the box. I told the coach to break it up "Let's go, coach" twice, neither of them moved. I said "let's play" and called stike one!! He had just told my partner and me that we were both wrong because the BU called an out on appeal for R2 leaving 2B too soon AND he called the catch in right center. I confirmed that he was in the correct position and it was indeed his call - "you're both wrong" He then proceeded to carry on this conversation with his next batter.

Actually, the pitcher and cather responded rather well. I said "let's play" the pitcher took the rubber and delivered a pitch - I had already called the strike however. (actually his pitch was a strike, so that worked out nicely!)

Coach asked me at the end of the 1/2 inning if I new how many times he'd seen that called in 25 years. I said "once"

Never thought I'd call it, but I felt justified in this case.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2010, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

I learned this procedure at a Dodgers-Giants game in which Bruce Froemming did it to a lingering Raul Mondesi. It was classic!

Good for you! It took guts.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2010, 01:20am
Official Forum Member

After reading the first paragraph, I find it odd that you didn't eject him.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2010, 10:08am
Veteran College Umpire

The first time a crusty old coach told me "I've never seen that called in 30 years" I replied "Mark your calendar". He then kicked dirt on home plate, and I sent him packing. Never had a problem with him again...

JJ
Old Sat Mar 13, 2010, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
After reading the first paragraph, I find it odd that you didn't eject him.

No real need. He was just doing his job. He didn't cross the line. Plus I find it humorous when coaches try to explain umpire mechanics.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2010, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Having the coach delaying the game vs the batter, can bring slightly different results however, I think you got your point across.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2010, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
No real need. He was just doing his job. He didn't cross the line. Plus I find it humorous when coaches try to explain umpire mechanics.

Not if he said "you're both wrong" loud enough for anyone else to hear. He dropped the "you", which made it personal. No need for that on the baseball field, especially if it were a youth game.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2010, 02:41am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue View Post
Tonight I called my first strike on a batter without him being in the box. I told the coach to break it up "Let's go, coach" twice, neither of them moved. I said "let's play" and called stike one!! He had just told my partner and me that we were both wrong because the BU called an out on appeal for R2 leaving 2B too soon AND he called the catch in right center. I confirmed that he was in the correct position and it was indeed his call - "you're both wrong" He then proceeded to carry on this conversation with his next batter.

Actually, the pitcher and cather responded rather well. I said "let's play" the pitcher took the rubber and delivered a pitch - I had already called the strike however. (actually his pitch was a strike, so that worked out nicely!)

Coach asked me at the end of the 1/2 inning if I new how many times he'd seen that called in 25 years. I said "once"

Never thought I'd call it, but I felt justified in this case.
Just a quick question. Was the ball dead or live when you enforced the penalty? If the coach had requested time and refused to end the coach/batter conference I more than likely would had a little conversation with the coach and then proceed from there. A possible restriction or ejection could be looming on the horizon.

I don't have a rule or case book handy, so I can't comment on what actually enforcing the penalty in this situation is. Could this border on being the same as adding a ball to the batter if coach didn't leave the mound in a timely matter?

The reason I ask is, there are three things needed to actually put the ball in play, pitcher on the mound with ball, catcher in his box and batter in his box.

My take. Ball dead, converse with coach on the possible consquences. Ball live, enforce penalty by adding a strike to the count.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2010, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Steven, his conversation took place immediately after the discussion with my partner and me. He didn't request time just to talk to his batter.

As to live/dead - I made it live w/o the batter. Right/wrong, I don't know for sure. I know that you can call the strike if the batter is delayhing the game. I'm also sure that (in OBR) if he is delaying you can put the ball in play and have F1 deliver a pitch. I had both rule sets (FED and OBR) banging in my head and just reacted with a little of both I guess. Again, I may not have been 100% correct in the penalty, but as stated above, I got my point across.

I do agree that if he had simply called, rather requested, time to converse with the batter, your scenario would be more suited.

The coach was delaying on purpose after the "arguement," I knew it, he knew it.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2010, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
Not if he said "you're both wrong" loud enough for anyone else to hear. He dropped the "you", which made it personal. No need for that on the baseball field, especially if it were a youth game.
High school varsity. He didn't say "you" suck, "you" are pitiful - he said "you're wrong" - well, hell, that was the point of the arguement. If he thought we were right we wouldn't have had the talk. I mean he could have said "you" can't call that from there - that's not personal.

It's not the "you" that gets 'em run, it's what follows it.

Last edited by ManInBlue; Sun Mar 14, 2010 at 06:14pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sun Mar 14, 2010, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

There's no need to make the ball live before accessing the penalty strike. All that is required is:

- The pitcher to have the ball.

- The umpire to direct the batter to take his place in the batter's box.

- The batter to delay at least 20 seconds in taking his position.

No pitch need be thrown. At that point call the strike and tell the batter again to get in the box. Then start another 20 second count!