The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Player Control Foul

In considering Team Control and Player Control Situations, wondered about this. If A1 shoots, and A2 tips the rebound back and in the process fouls B1, does this qualify as a PC or TC foul?

I realize both end when the shot by A1 is released. I realize that if A2 catches the ball that both PC and TC are established. But what about on a tip? I'm guessing neither PC or TC, but can't find a rules reference.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzeroo2002 View Post
In considering Team Control and Player Control Situations, wondered about this. If A1 shoots, and A2 tips the rebound back and in the process fouls B1, does this qualify as a PC or TC foul?

I realize both end when the shot by A1 is released. I realize that if A2 catches the ball that both PC and TC are established. But what about on a tip? I'm guessing neither PC or TC, but can't find a rules reference.
Was A2 still in contact with the ball when he committed the foul?
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't think it made a difference. If it's a tip, I don't think there would ever by PC. I guess if a difference exists whether A2 is touching the ball or not, I'll ask for both rulings.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Player Control.
The act of shooting begins with the start of a tap or a try; Team Control continues until the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Player Control.
The act of shooting begins with the start of a tap or a try; Team Control continues until the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.
Admittedly team control did end on the original shot.....Just quoting the rule book. Still going with the PC.
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:18pm
We don't rent pigs

If he taps the ball in an attempt to score, he is an airborne shooter until he returns to the floor. If he commits a foul, it is a PC foul.

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 21, 2011, 11:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Was A2 still in contact with the ball when he committed the foul?
Oops, this only matters in NCAA-M.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I assume you mean "tap," since the word "tip" does not appear in the rule book.

By rule, player control occurs when a player is holding or dribbling the ball. Based on that definition, there is no player control during a tap.

However, an airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for a goal or has tapped the ball and has not returned to the floor. If an airborne shooter fouls, it is a player control foul.

So no, there is no player control on a tap. But yes, it is a player control foul if he fouls after the tap, before he returns to the floor.

There is no team control during a tap if team control did not exist prior to the tap.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Ok so reversing this play. A1 releases ball on layup attempt, B1 moves into his path and A1 lands on B1. Layup is missed. A1 had already released the ball before crashing into an unestablished B1. B1 was still moving toward the play. 2 shots still for A1?
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSturgell View Post
Ok so reversing this play. A1 releases ball on layup attempt, B1 moves into his path and A1 lands on B1. Layup is missed. A1 had already released the ball before crashing into an unestablished B1. B1 was still moving toward the play. 2 shots still for A1?
Assuming A1 hadn't returned to the floor yet, this is a foul on an airborne shooter and thus A1 would be awarded two shots.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

No Team Control = Bonus Shots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I assume you mean "tap," since the word "tip" does not appear in the rule book.

By rule, player control occurs when a player is holding or dribbling the ball. Based on that definition, there is no player control during a tap.

However, an airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for a goal or has tapped the ball and has not returned to the floor. If an airborne shooter fouls, it is a player control foul.

So no, there is no player control on a tap. But yes, it is a player control foul if he fouls after the tap, before he returns to the floor.

There is no team control during a tap if team control did not exist prior to the tap.
So if I follow this logic, it would mean that on the tap there is PC, so if the tap goes in, no basket?

Likewise, if I follow this logic, it would mean that on the tap if there is no TC, if B is in the bonus, B would shoot bonus throws as a result of this?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but that logic seem a little twisted to me. This was the crux of my original question. I'm really wondering if a.) you'd count the basket on a tap that results in a foul by the tapper, and b.) award bonus throws to B if they the tap results in a foul by the tapper and B was in the bonus.

Would like to hear more thoughts on this. Thanks.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Likewise, if I follow this logic, it would mean that on the tap if there is no TC, if B is in the bonus, B would shoot bonus throws as a result of this?
No FT's for a PC foul. 10-6 PENALTIES 1
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So if I follow this logic, it would mean that on the tap there is PC, so if the tap goes in, no basket?
There's no PC after the tap is released, but it's still a PC foul. Read 4-19 (I think) Fouls -- PC Foul.

All the PC "rules" apply -- no basket for A, no FTs for B.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Correct.

Quote:
Logic has nothing to do with it. It's what the rules say.

Team control has nothing to do with this play. It's a player control foul. No FTs for B.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith