The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 09:52am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
We don't have a dedicated officials room per se.A lot of our people come dressed and ready to work but if anyone doesn't they get dressed in the AD's office.Our people like us because we provide a good table crew,pay in cash,and provide four officials chairs (two for the team on court and two for the varsity officials waiting to go on) behind our scorers table.
+1 to BkBallRef's comments.

The officials are NEVER going to say anything to your locker room situation. ("Never make negative comments about a team's facilities, those comments _will_ come back to haunt you." was one of the lessons drilled into me by the vets in my association).

Pay on the spot (cash or check) is nice.

Good table crew is helpful and appreciated.

Official's chairs near the court... I'm not going to use them.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 09:55am
Archaic Power Monger

I had a football game where they put us in a portable next to the field which was fine except it had windows with no blinds.

The school I mentioned in the other thread that had us changing in the Boy's Locker room was fairly new and you could tell that no expense was spared in its construction...well except for a dedicated official's room.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 09:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

One place who has an official as an athletic director has water cups for us with our names on them. He also takes our jackets back to the locker room (he opens and relocks the room and just puts the jackets in there where we can find them).

I worked at a place a few years ago where people would run small bottles of water out to us on quarter breaks and on 60-second timeouts.

Tonight we'll be in a nurses room. Cramped, but clean, private, and with a shower. This school is where I dislocated my patella 4 seasons ago. Good times.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 10:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
He also takes our jackets back to the locker room (he opens and relocks the room and just puts the jackets in there where we can find them).
Lucky you!

Nothing worse than not being able to locate game management at half or at the end of the game to open up the locker room/office! Ya just have to stand there or going looking.......
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Cant complain out this way, its all good for the most part.

One school is terrible, I wrote them up for it too. Just a big room with no bathroom, divider, sink or mirror. And I worked there with a female partner, she came dressed. Hopefully there will be some changes when I go back in January!

One school is great, all the accomodations + 3 gift bags w/checks included, LazyBoys & a flat screen tv.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 10:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Lucky you!

Nothing worse than not being able to locate game management at half or at the end of the game to open up the locker room/office! Ya just have to stand there or going looking.......
Some schools around here give us a key to the official's room when we arrive on site. I'll leave the key at the table (or put it in my pocket, if it's not on some huge keychain thing) during the game, and retrieve it at halftime/end of game. Then we just leave the key in the locker room when we leave, and the site manager/AD/whoever retrieves it later.

Of course, last night I was in a changing room with shower stall filled with gym equipment, no chairs, and nobody who had a key to let us back into the room until we tracked down a janitor about 20 minutes after the game ended.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Of course, last night I was in a changing room with shower stall filled with gym equipment, no chairs, and nobody who had a key to let us back into the room until we tracked down a janitor about 20 minutes after the game ended.

Home team lost huh
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 10:52am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Home team lost huh
They did, actually. But the home team coach (and visiting team coach, for that matter) didn't complain about any calls the entire game. The only comment I got from the home coach (after a block call on her player) was "what could she do differently next time?". (Defender didn't have LGP when the contact occurred).
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
We don't have a dedicated officials room per se.A lot of our people come dressed and ready to work but if anyone doesn't they get dressed in the AD's office.Our people like us because we provide a good table crew,pay in cash,and provide four officials chairs (two for the team on court and two for the varsity officials waiting to go on) behind our scorers table.
I don't know if I'm in the minority here or not, but I would trade all of those for an adequate dressing room. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a decent table crew, that's the standard here (maybe I'm spoiled), and walking out with cash is nice. But if I was offered a choice, I'd take the facility.

For the most part around here, we get a mid-sized coach's office; sometimes we have the coaches' office suite to ourselves. Adequate showers are hit or miss, so I've just gotten used to showering at home except for the few schools I know have showers.

A few schools put us in the trainer's room. One designed what appears to be a dedicated officials' locker room, but it's small and cramped with three officials. Shift change is a nightmare.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Some schools around here give us a key to the official's room when we arrive on site. I'll leave the key at the table (or put it in my pocket, if it's not on some huge keychain thing) during the game, and retrieve it at halftime/end of game. Then we just leave the key in the locker room when we leave, and the site manager/AD/whoever retrieves it later.

I hate that. I end up carrying the key in my back pocket the second half cause there's no way I'm making a detour to the table on the final horn.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I hate that. I end up carrying the key in my back pocket the second half cause there's no way I'm making a detour to the table on the final horn.
Me neither. Reminds me of the partner who feels the need to retrieve the ball after the final horn so he can give it to the table crew.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Leave it at the table. Whoever is the first person past the table in the last minute of the game picks it up at that time.

Saves you from carrying it all game *and* from having to go past the table at the end of the game.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 11:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Leave it at the table. Whoever is the first person past the table in the last minute of the game picks it up at that time.

Saves you from carrying it all game *and* from having to go past the table at the end of the game.
I would forget. I can't tell you where my keys, wallet, and cell phone are right now, so how can I possibly remember a key at the table?
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would forget. I can't tell you where my keys, wallet, and cell phone are right now, so how can I possibly remember a key at the table?
Pregame it & assign it to your 99
Old Tue Dec 20, 2011, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Always love going to coaches locker room with 15 lockers all with combo locks on them. Some pretty scary showers too with what seems like a toxic oil spill everywhere. Found a mcdonalds bag with at least a year old big Mac at bottom of coaches locker. I could go on but it's lunch time