The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 04:32pm
Back from the DL

Officials heckling officials

Game four last night of my five-game travel set, time out. I'm waiting on the sideline, ready for the eventual TI admin, when I hear, "You guys move a lot faster on grass!"

Normally, I ignore such comments, but something told me turn around. Of course, it was one of the state's top soccer officials busting my chops. (My partner last night is also on the soccer board.)

I don't pretend it was the best heckle, but it's good enough to start this thread. Any other one-liners to/from other officials you care to share?
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 04:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Chain Yanking 101 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Any other one-liners to/from other officials you care to share?
I've been watching a lot of my friends working state tournament games lately. Our local board just tells us the sites where our local guys are working, not who is working at the site. When I show up at a site I always walk up to them to shake their hands saying, "Gee? I thought, for sure, that they would send good officials for this game tonight?".

Last season, when I walked into a site, I discovered that three (that's right, Connecticut is slowly moving out of the Dark Ages, we use three officials for games at the state quarterfinals, and above) of our most veteran officials were assigned to the game. I said to them, "What did they do, assign the three oldest officials in the state to this game?", to which the referee replied, "No they assigned the three officials with the least amount of hair". He was right, they were three baldies.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 04:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

If it was me, I would confront the guy at some point. And would do so especially if the guy was a soccer official and not a basketball official. For one he would not like it if I went to his soccer games and yelled about things and probably did not know the rules and procedures as well as he did. But that is me. Again that might change based on your overall system and politics of the area, but I would not let it go.

Peace
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:18pm
This IS My Social Life

Here's the Best One

Quote:
Any other one-liners to/from other officials you care to share?
"Hey, you refs are a bunch of dorks out there. And I know by saying this, once word gets back to him, my assignor will give me no more games ever."
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 06:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I've had one game where a few refs from another Association were let's say "overly rambunctious." Pissed me off. Jerks!
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:09pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Had one Friday night complaining about the "82" fouls we had called. And how long it was taking to play the game. I was thinking, "First, if those idiots would stop fouling, we would stop calling them. Second, if they shot better than 3 for 30 at the line, they would stop fouling. Third, if we DIDN'T call them, then we would have been letting kids get hurt out there. And, fourth, what a jerk, I hope word gets back to his assignor."
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

is this known as black-and-white on black-and-white crime?

Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:21pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
is this known as black-and-white on black-and-white crime?

The guy was from another association. My partner indicated since overtures had been made to the school by his assn, that it would be best to not make waves.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 09:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

Just tonight, in fact. A um....friend....yeah, friend, of mine was at a minor league hockey game sitting close enough to hear the players cursing at each other. My friend may have gotten a little too into the game and may have yelled at the linesman a little bit after one of the visiting players essentially sat on a home team player and held him down on the ice.

My...friend...now feels guilty and has to go to referee penance.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Luke 4:1-13 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Has to go to referee penance.
It's Lent. Don't we all?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:13pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If it was me, I would confront the guy at some point.
Nah, it was light-hearted, no malice implied or inferred whatsoever.

Gap, was your example yelling publicly, or busting your chops in the locker room? If the former, you have a right to be torqued off.

Chyme, I like the line, but I actually don't own zebra stripes. (Typically gold jerseys for soccer; our state uses the gray IAABO-patched unis with black pinstripes.)
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:14pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's Lent. Don't we all?
This is in addition to my Catholic duty.
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's Lent. Don't we all?
A guy and his girlfriend were making out on the couch. Things were getting pretty hot and heavy when, all of a sudden, he pulled back and stopped. She said, "What's wrong?" He said, "I really can't, honey. It's Lent." She said, "Oh, OK......wait - to who and for how long?"
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

I avoid heckling fellow officials.
Now I will say that I LOVE hecklilng fans!
Old Sun Mar 13, 2011, 10:35pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Quote:
Nah, it was light-hearted, no malice implied or inferred whatsoever.

Gap, was your example yelling publicly, or busting your chops in the locker room? If the former, you have a right to be torqued off.

Chyme, I like the line, but I actually don't own zebra stripes. (Typically gold jerseys for soccer; our state uses the gray IAABO-patched unis with black pinstripes.)
Rut, he was a fanboy at his daughter's AAU game. That team tallied a whopping 29 points despite going to the line at least that many times.