The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 11:15am
Courageous When Prudent

My least favorite is a coaches locker room that has sufficient space and a shower with hot water. What makes it my least favorite is that the wrestling coach feels it's alright to take a shower while we are in the room, even at halftime of a basketball game.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
My least favorite is a coaches locker room that has sufficient space and a shower with hot water. What makes it my least favorite is that the wrestling coach feels it's alright to take a shower while we are in the room, even at halftime of a basketball game.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
LOL...(I thought we were the only ones to have an out of control wrestling coach)we service a school that has a wrestling coach that will not leave his desk while we are using the coaching office to dress and pre-game.

He sits there and will not let us use his "space". It is already crowded...but, he just stays and makes sure nobody gets near his precious chair and desk.

One school we service has a great teacher's lounge...big screen TV, couch, fridge, sink, tables, chairs...but no shower. We have to walk down the hall to the girl's locker room to shower. Of course the girl's are not there...but, sometimes the players have finished a game in another gym and we have to wait for them.

The worst part about this school is that we have to walk outside (snow, rain, sleet) to get to the Main Gym. Then we have to BEAT ON THE BACK DOOR and hope someone opens it to let us into the Gym. This is for a Varsity Game!

Then, of course, after the game...we walk back outside (snow, rain, sleet) and, most of the time, there is a school official that will let us into the teacher's room in the other building.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 05:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
LOL...(I thought we were the only ones to have an out of control wrestling coach)we service a school that has a wrestling coach that will not leave his desk while we are using the coaching office to dress and pre-game.

He sits there and will not let us use his "space". It is already crowded...but, he just stays and makes sure nobody gets near his precious chair and desk.
I'm a pretty easy-going person, but I'd be asking the AD for a place where the crew can get some privacy.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 05:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm a pretty easy-going person, but I'd be asking the AD for a place where the crew can get some privacy.
I've had a coach/teacher come in and get something and leave, but staying, for any reason, is a different story.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And my reaction is...more power to him. I'll have half my uniform off before he gets to the locker room.
Still being relatively new to this....

When you happen to work with "That Guy" in a two man crew, as his partner, what is the proper thing to do at the end of the game while he's making a big to do about getting the ball back to the table or doing something other than getting off the court?

Wait for him near the door that takes you from the court to the officials locker room?
Do you just make a bee line off the court and go to the locker room solo?

While I don't want to leave my P out there alone, but I certainly realize the need to get the heck out of the visual confines of the court ASAP.

Had the occasion to work with two of "Those Guys" this past week.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 05:48pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
Do you just make a bee line off the court and go to the locker room solo?
Regardless of what they've said or done, I'm not doing this.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm exaggerating some...he's not there ALL the time, but enough of the times I've been there over the past few years, that I did "good naturedly" mention it to the AD last year.

The AD said, "yea, he is pretty particular about people using his desk and messing it up."

I have to agree, somewhat. We officials should ALWAYS make sure the place we use is cleaner, or at least as clean, as when we got there. And that is not always the case.

Many times, I am going around picking up water bottles and towels that have just been left where some officials last used the items.

Getting in a pi$$ing match with the AD and Wrestling Coach is not a battle I really care to get into. If the Dude wants to sit there and watch a bunch of guys get dressed and listen to basketball talk...actually his back is to us as he "works" at his desk...oh well.
Richland, WA
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 06:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Was It "Captain Lou" Albano's Office ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
My least favorite was the wrestling coach's office, while the wrestlers were weighing in.
Been there. Done that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Regardless of what they've said or done, I'm not doing this.
Agreed, I'll do a hurry up and wait. Walk with a purpose to door and if partners aren't there, I wait for them
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 06:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Need For Any IAABO Jokes Here, Just Move Along ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Dedicated officials' locker rooms complete with a hallway signs saying "Officials" both in English, and in Braille.
We have a deaf official on our local board, but we don't have any blind officials. You guys really take, "Hire The Disabled", seriously, don't you.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 22, 2011 at 07:47pm.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap View Post
That Guy is everywhere.
Or "That guy" who after giving a technical to the H coach during the game, goes to find him after we dress after the game to smooth things over with him. I just went down the hall and stood by the door to leave and waited for him.

This is the same guy who told me that when Team A has the ball in their backcourt, throws the ball toward the frontcourt, one of A's players jumps from the frontcourt and catches the ball in the air then lands in the backcourt.....is NOT a backcourt violation. This was apparently because "All three points" haven't been in the frontcourt, and because the ball didn't cross the plane of the division line. I can't make this stuff up.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 09:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I'm exaggerating some...he's not there ALL the time, but enough of the times I've been there over the past few years, that I did "good naturedly" mention it to the AD last year.

The AD said, "yea, he is pretty particular about people using his desk and messing it up."

I have to agree, somewhat. We officials should ALWAYS make sure the place we use is cleaner, or at least as clean, as when we got there. And that is not always the case.

Many times, I am going around picking up water bottles and towels that have just been left where some officials last used the items.

Getting in a pi$$ing match with the AD and Wrestling Coach is not a battle I really care to get into. If the Dude wants to sit there and watch a bunch of guys get dressed and listen to basketball talk...actually his back is to us as he "works" at his desk...oh well.
For some people, it's not just about leaving it as clean as you found it; it's about leaving everything in the precise position in which he left it. I work a few of these types, and if you so much as move the stapler half an inch, it drives them crazy. Further, it may be about the insecurity they feel when leaving others alone with their things.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 09:37pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
This is the same guy who told me that when Team A has the ball in their backcourt, throws the ball toward the frontcourt, one of A's players jumps from the frontcourt and catches the ball in the air then lands in the backcourt.....is NOT a backcourt violation. This was apparently because "All three points" haven't been in the frontcourt, and because the ball didn't cross the plane of the division line. I can't make this stuff up.
Unfortunately, someone has, at some point, made this stuff up; and too many people buy into it.
Old Thu Dec 22, 2011, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Unfortunately, someone has, at some point, made this stuff up; and too many people buy into it.
I guess because they can't be bothered to read the rule book or take the Part II test without being fed the answers every year.