The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Caseplay

Does anyone have or know where to find the caseplay that says its legal to block the ball after it strikes the backboard in HS?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:26pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'm digging through what I have now. I'm guessing that the fact the rule doesn't prohibit it isn't enough?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Trying to explain to a buddy that its a different ruling in HS than in NCAA & Pro. He said rule/caseplay please... cant find anything.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:38pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
Trying to explain to a buddy that its a different ruling in HS than in NCAA & Pro. He said rule/caseplay please... cant find anything.
What are you going to call BI or GT? If so, by definition, explain? If not, there you go.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Been there, done that. I know I read it somewhere before, I'm thinking it was part of a caseplay.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does anyone have or know where to find the caseplay that says its legal to block the ball after it strikes the backboard in HS?

No case play that I know of but it is included in the back of the rules book in the grid showing "major basketball differences" NFHS vs NCAA

NFHS= Player touches the ball during a try/tap while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight.

NCAA = Same as NFHS and includes a ball that is touched after it contacts the backboard when it is entirely above ring level - considered to be on it its downward flight.

I don't call NCAA but as I read this, in NCAA it may still be legal to touch a ball after it has contacted the backboard if it was not entirely above ring level when touched.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

There is nothing in the rules or casebook that says protects the ball after hitting the board. Though the rules differences table says the NCAA rule is the same and includes the ball hitting the backboard.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks all!
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 06:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Furthermore ...

The backboard has nothing to do with goaltending. Goaltending when a player touches the ball during a try, or tap, while it is in its downward flight, entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket. On most layups, the ball is going up after it contacts the backboard. It is legal to pin the ball against the backboard if it still on the way up and not in the imaginary cylinder above the basket. Slapping the backboard is neither basket interference nor is it goaltending and points cannot be awarded. A player who strikes a backboard, during a tap, or a try, so forcefully that it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or a means of venting frustration, may be assessed a technical foul. When a player simply attempts to block a shot and accidentally slaps the backboard it is neither a violation nor is it a technical foul.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 15, 2011, 12:09am
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
As there's no HS caseplay that spells it out, I'd use the fact that there's nothing at all like NCAA 4-34-1-3 that states goaltending involves the backboard in the NFHS definition (or caseplays). It's one of those "No rule against it? Then no rule against it" situations.