The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
The following was from a Referee magazine many years ago.

"When the scoring team touches the ball after it goes through the basket, officials should end the practice immediately. For those old enough to remember the NCAA men’s final in 1985, the reason is clear. During the game, Georgetown players had been tapping the ball gently toward the Villanova thrower-in after a score. A friendly gesture? Think again. That speeded up play a bit, which was to Georgetown’s liking. However, the real consequence of allowing that practice happened at the end of the game. With five seconds left, the Hoyas scored to cut their deficit to two points. They had no timeouts left, and a Georgetown player slapped the ball away from Villanova. The official blew the whistle to stop the clock. (That was before the rules required the game clock to be stopped after scores in the last minute.) The officials warned Georgetown to leave the ball alone, but that forced Villanova to make a hotly contested throw-in with five seconds left rather than just let the clock run out. It managed the throw-in. But in an interview much later, one of the officials admitted they had been very lucky. By permitting Georgetown to “help” Villanova get the ball after a made basket, it set the stage for the slap of the ball at the end of the game and prompted the reflex whistle when it occurred. The official vowed never again to let even a friendly touch occur in any game he officiates. That is the right plan for all of us. Get the warning done early to prevent any temptations at a critical time and the need for a technical foul."
Call the DOG early!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
A simple tip of the ball is not something that is usually going to delay the game. Like I said, I think most kids do it without realizing they're even doing it. Therefore I'm either going to ignore it, or just tell the player to leave the ball alone.

But a player who consciously walks the ball over to me or to my partner, or who intentionally bats the ball away from the opponent or sets the ball down on the ground is, by definition, causing a delay in the game.

By rule, it should be handled not with an informal warning, but with an official DOG warning. I'm simply wondering why some don't want to follow the procedure that's laid out in the rules for an act that delays the game.
This is my point though. Read Zoochy's post again. What you think is just a player tipping the ball, that has no effect, could be an advantageous maneuver that is not supported by rule. If you're going to come down on people for not imposing the rule, perhaps you should look at your own reaction first.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
This is my point though. Read Zoochy's post again. What you think is just a player tipping the ball, that has no effect, could be an advantageous maneuver that is not supported by rule. If you're going to come down on people for not imposing the rule, perhaps you should look at your own reaction first.
The story made no sense to me.

Tapping the ball to a Villanova player (what had been going on the whole game) is wholly different than slapping the ball away from a Villanova player (what happened at the end of the game).

I have no idea what the official in the story thinks one has to do with the other.

In my game, I'm not really going to think anything of the first, unless it happens more than once, and I'm going DOG on the second the first time it happens.

Last edited by fiasco; Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 04:05pm.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A simple tip of the ball is not something that is usually going to delay the game. Like I said, I think most kids do it without realizing they're even doing it. Therefore I'm either going to ignore it, or just tell the player to leave the ball alone.

But a player who consciously walks the ball over to me or to my partner, or who intentionally bats the ball away from the opponent or sets the ball down on the ground is, by definition, causing a delay in the game.

By rule, it should be handled not with an informal warning, but with an official DOG warning. I'm simply wondering why some don't want to follow the procedure that's laid out in the rules for an act that delays the game.
What if it's simply a "simple tip of the ball" (your first paragraph) that happens to be slightly "away from the opponent" (your second) and doesn't give any advantage?

I think we're saying the same thing -- talk to the player / team (informal warning).

I'm not in any way sying an informal warning for something that clearly is in violation -- as in your second paragraph.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The story made no sense to me.

Tapping the ball to a Villanova player (what had been going on the whole game) is wholly different than slapping the ball away from a Villanova player (what happened at the end of the game).

I have no idea what the official in the story thinks one has to do with the other.

In my game, I'm not really going to think anything of the first, unless it happens more than once, and I'm going DOG on the second the first time it happens.
Exactly, helping direct the ball to the team that is due a throw in is not delaying anything....which is what the rule is for. The rule doesn't prohibit them from touching/tapping/batting the ball.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I think we're saying the same thing -- talk to the player / team (informal warning).
Ok, I think you're right.

Now didn't this thread end all diplomatic like....
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 06:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And The Beginning Of The Fashion Police Rules ...

Thanks Patrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
"A Georgetown player slapped the ball away from Villanova".
Patrick Ewing?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)