Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
That's the only rationale I have. Beyond that, shame on the A/C for berating the official. That's a hard way to learn that rule.

By the way, Rook, can you post a link to this? I'm having difficulty believing it was written by a Chicago Sun Times writer. It looks more like a forum item. Was it?
Win suits Blue Devils to a ?T? - Lake County News-Sun

Local paper owned by Chicago sun-Times I'm surmising.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:15pm
Back from the DL

Thanks. It appears that a stringer wrote this. It's a little sloppy in places.

Anyway, this quote from the assitant coach intrigues me...

Quote:
“If you have a beef with me, punish me. Don’t punish the kids. I can take it.”
Thoughts?
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:16pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
That's the only rationale I have. Beyond that, shame on the A/C for berating the official. That's a hard way to learn that rule.

By the way, Rook, can you post a link to this? I'm having difficulty believing it was written by a Chicago Sun Times writer. It looks more like a forum item. Was it?
Full story link below:

Girls Basketball: Warren downs Zion-Benton in bizarre finish - YourSeason
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Thoughts?
Coach-speak, not worth a response. He may as well b1tch about the foul count.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That's what I'm thinking....why didn't they grant the timeout?
They didn't grant it because the assistant was requesting the TO. Bit of background, this assistant is a former state champion head coach who retired and moved to Zion in an assistant role - teamed up with another state champion head coach. So this "assistant" still has a head coach's mentality which is clearly a problem. The way this gym is set up you do have to potentially run right by the bench to get to the locker room so if the asst coach was gunning for this official he could definitely get to him...this guy is an NCAA women's official as well for what it's worth, not his first rodeo...
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks. It appears that a stringer wrote this. It's a little sloppy in places.

Anyway, this quote from the assitant coach intrigues me...

Thoughts?
Yeah I love that - what mechanism exactly does an official have to punish an assistant coach other than a T? Report to the state? Sorry coach you made your bed, you are the one who should be apologizing profusely to your team and the officials..own it, be an example to your team.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:26pm
Esteemed Participant

Why was the ref "handing" the ball to the shooter? What mechanics set still does that?

And I will agree with others...Assistant Matuccis should have kept his mouth shut and his team would have won. He cost those girls the game.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

FWIW, the newspaper report says that "Mattucci went immediately to the ref and the resulting “discussion” led to him getting T’d up."

So, sounds to me like the coach went out of his way to find the ref as soon as the buzzer sounded. What a tool.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Why was the ref "handing" the ball to the shooter? What mechanics set still does that?

And I will agree with others...Assistant Matuccis should have kept his mouth shut and his team would have won. He cost those girls the game.
heard from ref this morning, there is no way he 'handed' ball to shooter, you're going on a reporters jargon, three very good officials, coach had it coming. I've officiated there before, bench is by exit to locker room so possible coach ambushed him.

Lesson learned though, tight game with possible repercussions after buzzer, my head is down getting my butt out of confines.

Also heard it was a little dicey leaving the school

Last edited by fullor30; Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 02:53pm.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
FWIW, the newspaper report says that "Mattucci went immediately to the ref and the resulting “discussion” led to him getting T’d up."

So, sounds to me like the coach went out of his way to find the ref as soon as the buzzer sounded. What a tool.

Coach is a pretty good guy and a great coach, just hasn't adjusted to being an assistant

What I didn't like in story was his 'don't punish the kids, punish me' line Sorry coach, you cost your team the game
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
Coach is a pretty good guy and a great coach, just hasn't adjusted to being an assistant

What I didn't like in story was his 'don't punish the kids, punish me' line Sorry coach, you cost your team the game
A "pretty good guy" doesn't berate officials after the game, then blame them for costing his team the game.

A tool is a tool is a tool.

I've always been a firm believer that competitive/high-intensity situations (like sports) bring out our real nature. You can gladhand and be a hunky-dory guy all you want when everything is peachy keen, but when the shiz hits the fan, that's when your character really comes out.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 02:52pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullor30 View Post
What I didn't like in story was his 'don't punish the kids, punish me' line. Sorry coach, you cost your team the game
Not completely, but he certainly played a notable and unnecessary role, didn't he?

The game isn't over until the officials leave the floor. All coaches need to know that, so this guy is better off taking responsibility for his actions.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A "pretty good guy" doesn't berate officials after the game, then blame them for costing his team the game.

A tool is a tool is a tool.

I've always been a firm believer that competitive/high-intensity situations (like sports) bring out our real nature. You can gladhand and be a hunky-dory guy all you want when everything is peachy keen, but when the shiz hits the fan, that's when your character really comes out.
Like I said, he's a pretty good guy, sounds like you're a coach making a call from other end of gym.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 03:17pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Hmmmm...so you actually believe that it is the very few moments in life when stress and strain are at their greatest that define our character? I don't know about that...

But - the coach certainly had time to calm down before he talked with this reporter. His comments to the reporter show a much more accurate insight into his character than does his arguing with an official after a hard-fought game.

And no, I am not condoning his actions. He really did cost his team a chance at winning that game. I'm just not so sure that that one emotional outburst makes him a tool.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Suntimes owns News Sun which was the publication the writer is a hack.
Closed Thread