The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Mouth guard legal?

Worked a GV game last night, and during garbage time with a minute or so left I notice a girl with a funky mouthpiece.

Picture a football-type mouthguard with the strap that attaches to the facemask. It almost looked as though she tried to cut off the strap...except she left what looked like a good inch attached to the guard. Definitely visible when she closed her mouth, but probably only if you had noticed it was there when she had her mouth open. Almost like a black lollipop stick poking out of her mouth.

In retrospect if I had a do-over, I probably would have had the trainer chop it off, but by the time I figured that one out the game was over.

Would anyone have done anything different? Is this a non-issue?
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 09:59pm
Archaic Power Monger

What would you use to deem this illegal? I can't think of a reason or justification to.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
What would you use to deem this illegal?
Illegal? Nuthin'. I'm just looking at it as a potential (stabbing? ) hazard. Trying to error on the side of safety, perhaps?
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 10:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

If it's not illegal then you don't have anything.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrapp View Post
Illegal? Nuthin'. I'm just looking at it as a potential (stabbing? ) hazard. Trying to error on the side of safety, perhaps?
Was it made of stainless steel?

Assuming it's the same compound I normally see for mouth guards, I don't see a safety issue at all.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

A number of years ago Minnesota required mouthguards in basketball. It didn't last long but every once in a while I see a girl with one.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I wish more players wore mouth guards. Basketball is a contact sport sometimes.
The majority of sports mouth injuries I have seen over the years are soccer and baseball (or softball) related, and not football because of the required mouth guards.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 12:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Don't they have the same issue in sports like football? They are required in that sport.

There is nothing illegal about a mouth guard and not sure why you would think it would be. Seriously do not go looking for trouble. The minute you do not allow this someone will hold you accountable when someone's teeth or gets some kind of head injury as a result. Do not go there please.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Don't they have the same issue in sports like football?Peace
Maybe I did a very poor job of describing the situation...or maybe I just am making mountaings out of nothing...

The mouthguard had a piece of plastic, roughly the diameter of a soda straw, attached to the front-teeth area. This piece was (I'm assuming) a hard, non-pliable piece of plastic..it looked to me exactly like she clipped off the part that was supposed to latch onto a facemask, except she didn't clip it off close enough to the mouthguard itself. It was pointed straight out of her mouth...even when her mouth was closed..and extended a good bit out between her lips. It was definitely long enough that she could NOT have wrapped her lips around it and kept it contained in her mouth.

If she were in a rebounding situation and she jabs someone in the back of the head or a shoulder/arm, I was thinking not only would it probably HURT, but it could be sharp/hard enough to draw blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Was it made of stainless steel?

Assuming it's the same compound I normally see for mouth guards, I don't see a safety issue at all.

Was I looking for trouble? No. What I was trying to do was determine if the thing was a potential hazard to another player.

Last edited by Danvrapp; Wed Dec 14, 2011 at 01:06pm.
Old Wed Dec 14, 2011, 01:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe I did a very poor job of describing the situation...or maybe I just am making mountaings out of nothing...

The mouthguard had a piece of plastic, roughly the diameter of a soda straw, attached to the front-teeth area. This piece was (I'm assuming) a hard, non-pliable piece of plastic..it looked to me exactly like she clipped off the part that was supposed to latch onto a facemask, except she didn't clip it off close enough to the mouthguard itself. It was pointed straight out of her mouth...even when her mouth was closed..and extended a good bit out between her lips. It was definitely long enough that she could NOT have wrapped her lips around it and kept it contained in her mouth.

If she were in a rebounding situation and she jabs someone in the back of the head or a shoulder/arm, I was thinking not only would it probably HURT, but it could be sharp/hard enough to draw blood.
Well that changes things. Then yes that particular configuration could be a problem. But a mouthpiece that is not used for football should not be a problem.