The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Don't get caught off guard

BF game last weekend, I'm L when H1 gets a wide open look right in front of me, but somehow gets his pocket picked. As the ball heads the other way, he jumps up as if he had the ball and taps the backboard.

I know I should have called it, but I think I was so surprised (a bad thing) because he didn't do it in the way I normally see the backboard hit.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

A-1 was just finishing the play.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
A-1 was just finishing the play.
Two steps and a jump after he lost the ball? LOL
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Two steps and a jump after he lost the ball? LOL

Yeah, they do it all the time on the play ground/sandlot basketball. In order not to get back on defense.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know I should have called it,
Called what? I don't see any unsporting or intimidating act in your description.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Called what? I don't see any unsporting or intimidating act in your description.
Bob - maybe he went over the back or reached while doing it.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:26pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Okay, now I'm thinking maybe I was right?

I guess I was thinking two hands on the backboard outside the context of a shot block attempt. You're right, though, I was looking at it wrong. It was definitely a frustration act rather than a "look at me" performance.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 01:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Okay, now I'm thinking maybe I was right?

I guess I was thinking two hands on the backboard outside the context of a shot block attempt. You're right, though, I was looking at it wrong. It was definitely a frustration act rather than a "look at me" performance.
CaseBook Play 10.3.4COMMENT-"A player who strikes either backboard so forcefully it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or as a means of venting frustration may be assessed a technical foul pursuant to Rules 10-3-6."

Just saying......

From your description though, I personally don't think a "T" was warranted.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
CaseBook Play 10.3.4COMMENT-"A player who strikes either backboard so forcefully it cannot be ignored because it is an attempt to draw attention to the player, or as a means of venting frustration may be assessed a technical foul pursuant to Rules 10-3-6."

Just saying......

Quote:
BF game last weekend, I'm L when H1 gets a wide open look right in front of me, but somehow gets his pocket picked. As the ball heads the other way, he jumps up as if he had the ball and taps the backboard.
I know I should have called it, but I think I was so surprised (a bad thing) because he didn't do it in the way I normally see the backboard hit.
Snaqs,
I believe you got it absolutely right.
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 04:34pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:

I know what you mean about getting caught off guard. I had a game last Friday... blowout game and we're in the last 3 minutes of the game. A1 is inbounding the ball after a made basket and B1 is defending her legally. A1 throws a horrible inbounds pass right into B1's hands. Everyone, including B1, is so suprised that she got the ball, she takes both her feet and repositions herself (and travels in the process) to get a nice bunny hop shot for an easy basket.

Of course, I'm the new T and I just got thrown for a loop that B1 made such a great play to get the ball and a bucket that it took me about 5 seconds later to actually realize that she did in fact travel. My C said he did the same thing that I did!
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post

Just saying......

I was going to say that, if in your judgement it wasn't unsporting, than it was no different than the player hitting the floor with both hands in frustration...

but, then Mr. JR comes around with the case play comment to give you justification in your T...whew!
Richland, WA
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
I was going to say that, if in your judgement it wasn't unsporting, than it was no different than the player hitting the floor with both hands in frustration...

but, then Mr. JR comes around with the case play comment to give you justification in your T...whew!
Mr. JR?

Mr. JR?

Better than your usual "hey, Dickhead", I guess.....

Note that in the case play that it says "strikes the backboard so forcefully that it cannot be ignored....". And in Snaqs' situation, he said the player tapped the board. I think that the purpose and intent of the rule is to nail the player who wants to put on a big show. I also think that most experienced officials..... like you, Snaqs(after he thought about it) and the other posters that voted for no "T".... know the difference between a kid getting a little frustrated and the showboats showboating. It's the difference between frustration and FRUSTRATION.

Technical fouls are always personally judgmental. And as you said above, if the calling official thought the act wasn't unsporting in nature, there's no justification in calling a "T".
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I think the reason I didn't call it is because it didn't "feel" like a T, but I was questioning myself about it the rest of the night.

Thanks
Old Tue Jan 19, 2010, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Going along with the topic of a frustrated player, and I don't mean to hijack your thread Snaqs... I had a situation, probably 3 or 4 years ago in Boys' Freshmen. I believe it was a player who had just missed an easy layup or something like that, and when the ball was going in the other direction, he goes to the wall on this end and, with a closed fist, swings his arm full motion and slams the wall in frustration. Made a pretty loud noise to draw attention to himself and I felt that i couldn't ignore it. I T'd him up. Would you experienced officials have T'd him up too?
Old Wed Jan 20, 2010, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsaddict View Post
I see this play in question alot and also when they get to bench then punch the chair.
I'll see this to, but very minor. I don't care if they take a quick, light punch of the wall after a missed layup or something, as to not create a need for attention, but the play I have in question was just simply that this player went full arm motion (arm across his body to start and went about 180 with his arm to hit the wall) and made a really loud "bang" when closed fist made contact with the wall.