The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Many years ago, I had a game between rivals, with a D1 signee on each team, but each of them going to rival Universites. aA we approached the floor, we could hear the crowd reacting to an impromtu dunk exhibition between the two stars. So as not to have to T-up either or both of them, we sent a young man affiliated with the Home team to tell them to knock it off, before we got to the floor.
Then, when we did arrive on the floor, one of the two players involved came and thanked us. (They know that pre-game dunking is illegal, if the officials see it...)
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Anyone ever started a game with a technical foul? I think most officials do everything they can to avoid this but obviously sometimes it is warranted.
We had a game recently here where a team was issued 2 technicals for pre-game dunks. Just wondering what others would do avoid this, if anything. Coach called me this morning about the crew and claims that he did not have any time to address the first tech with his team before the second was called.
I wasn't there, but wonder if the second tech could have been avoided by better management. Wish I had seen what transpired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by refiator View Post
Don't have knowledge except from the offending coach. I am assuming the first T was warranted....the question, then, is how would you manage this to avoid the second T? Coach claims he never had a chance to address his team after the first T. I have a difficult time believing that both happened so fast that the second couldn't have been avoided....But again, I wasn't there.
Why is the coach calling you to complain? Are you the assignor? if so shouldn't you already know how to deal with this? Just curious.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:43am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
I thought you meant no one on the board cares what Nevada thinks.
Rut never means what you thought he meant when you thought he was wrong.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:50am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post

P.S. I agree with Snaqs and Tony. Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY knows a player cannot dunk during the pregame warmups and I hope that refiator and his partners reminded the HC that he was now going to spend the rest of the game in the lockerroom.
Why, did the coach dunk it twice?
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Yes, he's "clever" like that.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

Here, varsity officials blow their whistle before they enter the court to as to stop the pre-game dunk contest before they "see" something.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Texas Tea ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
As we approached the floor, we could hear the crowd reacting to an impromptu dunk exhibition between the two stars. We sent a young man affiliated with the Home team to tell them to knock it off, before we got to the floor.
Why didn't you just put some air into your whistle like our colleagues in the Lone Star State do?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Here, varsity officials blow their whistle before they enter the court to as to stop the pre-game dunk contest before they "see" something.
Gotta love Texas high school sports.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
P.P.S. And yes I did start a game once with two TF's (against the HC no less) but that is a story for another day, .
Hey, tomorrow's "another day." Can't wait to read the post!
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Why, did the coach dunk it twice?

DOH!! I am getting senile in my old age. It takes three dunks. LOL

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I would assume that Rut and his partners noticed this well before the start of the game and approached the HC to see if the team would be able to rectify the problem before the start of the game so that there would be no need for a TF charged to the HC.

And I agree with Rut, I do not like having to be a fashion policeman.

MTD, Sr.
You do not have to assume, it is a standing policy for the last few years to not only review uniforms, but we have all kinds of things like waivers for uniforms, a policy to look at uniforms before the game by making sure kids take off or pull up their shooting shirts.

If you read Referee Magazine at all, about 3 years ago there was an article in Referee Magazine over a team that wore a uniform that was illegal during our state finals and the state people insisted that there be a technical foul given for a team that had reached that level of the playoffs. In that article happens to be a friend of mine who had that team during that playoffs and worked the State Finals that year was quoted about the entire situation. Nine officials were penalized for not the following year for not recognizing a uniform issue in the playoffs. I am talking about guys that were State Final officials or close to being SF official were only allowed to work the first round of the playoffs regardless of their previous background. We affectionately call those individuals the "North Lawndale Nine" because of this uniform issue and them being clearly penalized. Well the year after our state wanted this enforced heavily and it was assume that only a couple of schools would have a problem, they found out well over 100 had illegal uniforms the following year from the city teams to the most rural of rural teams. Teams were allowed to get a waiver for about a year to avoid being penalized and there is a policy about when and how the schools inform the officials before the game they have a waiver as well.

We are now in the 3rd year of all of this uniform stuff and emails have been flying around about other teams and officials not enforcing the rule on uniforms during the Thanksgiving Tournaments that would only take a ruler to know if the insert was over 4 inches and if the lettering comes over the numbers by an inch. And those that did not enforce the rule or recognize a uniform are being threatened by playoff assignments (and I am not talking young and inexperienced officials). It is our state’s policy here to be very vigilant in enforcing this rule which even has us doing something most here would not imagine to check and since a team’s uniforms apply to every player on the team, we have been told to give a T to start the game for these issues or else. Like I said before, this is been a big issue here and the powers that be do not care what the NF wants or what other states want on this issue. So you or anyone can quote case plays or rules interpretations all day, but that is not what we are to deal with or the reasoning for why we do what we do. As I said before, we do not work for the NF and if they have a policy of how to handle these situations, we handle them the way we are asked. That is why we had a T last night before the game for uniforms on a team that was not previously recognized for this issue. This was such a problem that the game never felt right because this silly issue was hanging over the game the entire time. BTW the team that has the issue lost the game by more 2 points, but it always seemed like this issue tainted any interaction during that game.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 02:34pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Hey, tomorrow's "another day." Can't wait to read the post!
+1 Only question is if it will be MTD or the spa mmers making the first post after midnight.
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
rut never means what you thought he meant when you thought he was wrong.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Every comment I make does not revolve around this place or the people here.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Every comment I make does not revolve around this place or the people here.
That's got to be one of the most ironic things I've read here in a long time.
Closed Thread