The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 11:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Long tights

We haven't had a discussion on long tights in about 3 years. Still the same thinking -- nothing below the knees, not even if the team says it's for medical reasons?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 11:35am
Do not give a damn!!

They cannot wear tights. They can wear long socks, but not tights.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Correct. they can also wear a "leg sleeve."

And, of course, they could wear long pants over the long tights and be legal.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
We haven't had a discussion on long tights in about 3 years. Still the same thinking -- nothing below the knees, not even if the team says it's for medical reasons?
This was specifically brought up in an association meeting this year: no tights are allowed.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

i always wear long tights......then again, I'm wearing pants....AND i've got the whistle - so i'm not calling any violations on me...
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 03:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocentsworth View Post
i always wear long tights......then again, I'm wearing pants....AND i've got the whistle - so i'm not calling any violations on me...
If you did not have the whistle, then you would just not be able to officiate.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 03:41pm
Back from the DL

Interestingly enough, I just got an email from my board today that the NFHS says state associations can make exceptions for religious reasons. In this case, "Leg or arm coverings should fit snuggly/not be loose and the color should be the same color for each team member."
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 03:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Interestingly enough, I just got an email from my board today that the NFHS says state associations can make exceptions for religious reasons. In this case, "Leg or arm coverings should fit snuggly/not be loose and the color should be the same color for each team member."
This is the case in our state too, but they have to have told the state that this is the reason why they wearing certain items. Also players can wear pants or even skirts without our approval or color. The only thing that technically requires a color match is what is under or on your jersey. Short, pants or skirts can be any color.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Correct. they can also wear a "leg sleeve."

And, of course, they could wear long pants over the long tights and be legal.
Actually, the player can wear long pants, but still cannot have long tights on underneath. One simply cannot wear prohibited equipment. The Case Book play specifically banning tights is 3.5.7 Situation B.

This is the same as wearing jewelry, but having it be under the jersey such as a body piercing. Even though covered, that still isn't allowed.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Actually, the player can wear long pants, but still cannot have long tights on underneath. One simply cannot wear prohibited equipment. The Case Book play specifically banning tights is 3.5.7 Situation B.

This is the same as wearing jewelry, but having it be under the jersey such as a body piercing. Even though covered, that still isn't allowed.
Disagree....3.5.7B disallows tights that extend below the uniform shorts....not a blanket prohibition.
3.5.7 SITUATION B: A player, for religious reasons, may not wear shorts. Would he/she be able to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts, warmups or a skirt instead of shorts? RULING: NFHS basketball uniform rules do not require that the uniform pants be "shorts." However, undergarments or tights may not be worn which extend below the pants, therefore wearing tights “below the uniform shorts” would be illegal. The player could wear long pants or a skirt as the uniform "bottom" and be in compliance. (3-4)
If the pants are longer than the tights, legal. If the tights are longer than the pants, illegal. The actual length of either one doesn't matter as long as the undergarment is shorter than the outer-garment.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2011, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Disagree....3.5.7B disallows tights that extend below the uniform shorts....not a blanket prohibition.
3.5.7 SITUATION B: A player, for religious reasons, may not wear shorts. Would he/she be able to wear tights under the basketball uniform shorts, warmups or a skirt instead of shorts? RULING: NFHS basketball uniform rules do not require that the uniform pants be "shorts." However, undergarments or tights may not be worn which extend below the pants, therefore wearing tights “below the uniform shorts” would be illegal. The player could wear long pants or a skirt as the uniform "bottom" and be in compliance. (3-4)
If the pants are longer than the tights, legal. If the tights are longer than the pants, illegal. The actual length of either one doesn't matter as long as the undergarment is shorter than the outer-garment.
Essentially as Cameron pointed out, if we don't see it then it is legal.

Does the same apply for body piercings? I don't looking for it and I try not to see these things but if I do see them then it has to be addressed.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Nice try, but 3-5-7 states two requirements for compression shorts/tights. The item must: a. Have a length above the knee and b. not extend below the pants/skirt.
So no matter how long the pants are, the undergarments cannot go past the knee.
Old Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAK View Post
Does the same apply for body piercings? I don't look for it and I try not to see these things but if I do see them then it has to be addressed.
We just, this week, received an email "blast" from our local interpreter that told us not to go looking for jewelry, or piercings, that are not visible. Nice interpretation. I really wasn't looking forward to asking the players to lift their jerseys to check for belly button rings, or even worse, for piercings a little more "south" of the belly.

He also reminded us that earrings could not be covered with tape. If we believed that tape on a player's ear was to cover an earring, then we should just ask the player why he, or she, had tape on their ear. If they replied that it covered a wound, then just take them at their word, and let it go. If they answered that it was covering an earring, then tell them that they can't play until the earring comes out.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Nice try, but 3-5-7 states two requirements for compression shorts/tights. The item must: a. Have a length above the knee and b. not extend below the pants/skirt.
So no matter how long the pants are, the undergarments cannot go past the knee.
If the pants are long, how would we know whether the undergarments - compression shorts/tights - are above the knee? And why would we care? Or, did I miss a smiley face somewhere in this discussion?
Old Sun Dec 11, 2011, 03:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
If the pants are long, how would we know whether the undergarments - compression shorts/tights - are above the knee? And why would we care? Or, did I miss a smiley face somewhere in this discussion?
Knickers or capri style we might know.

Peace