The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Jewelry during live ball

Coach points out that opponent has necklace on during live ball.

How best to handle?

Wait until dead ball?
Player can quickly remove and stay in the game?

No penalty?
(coach chirping that's it's a technical)
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Whatever you do, know it's NOT a technical.

Ideally you catch this during a dead ball (well ideally before during warm-ups but we'll assume this player was being sneaky). If it's during a live ball, I'm not going to stop a fast break to address this. When action slows down, blow the whistle, and if it's something the player can take off real quick w/o delay, then take care of it, and play on (think a necklace). If it's something that's going to take too long to take off, then I'm asking coach for a sub.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:27am
We don't rent pigs

To each his own. I personally, would not stop the game for a necklace, unless it featured dangling razor blades or something else obviously dangerous. Next dead ball, get rid of it.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
To each his own. I personally, would not stop the game for a necklace, unless it featured dangling razor blades or something else obviously dangerous. Next dead ball, get rid of it.
Well usually those kind of things are deemed "safety" issues and should be taken care of as soon as possible.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:35am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Well usually those kind of things are deemed "safety" issues and should be taken care of as soon as possible.

I guess it depends on the item, but with most necklaces the real danger is to the necklace itself. I have told a lot of kids over the years: "If I liked that thing, I would take it off."

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:44am
Back from the DL

Quote:
We're instructed to get a sub for an untucked shirt (dead ball only, and I typically give them a few seconds to notice before the ball becomes live again). I have a pretty good idea that we're expected to get a sub right away for any jewelry.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
We're instructed to get a sub for an untucked shirt (dead ball only, and I typically give them a few seconds to notice before the ball becomes live again). I have a pretty good idea that we're expected to get a sub right away for any jewelry.
Yes, that's what it says in the rule/case book, but it's been my experience that no one applies the rule that way...especially in the case of an untucked jersey. In fact, I can't recall ever calling a sub for that issue (untucked jersey) but I'll admit, I'm real lenient on that issue...I just tell them to tuck their jersey in.

Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 01:07am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Stop the game, "Coach, #23 isn't ready to play. I need a sub."
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 01:21am
We don't rent pigs

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is a provision for sending a player out because of jewelry.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 01:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is a provision for sending a player out because of jewelry.
2.4.5 SITUATION B: To the referee's pregame inquiry of coaches regarding all team members being legally equipped and wearing the uniform properly, both coaches responded "yes." Three minutes into the first quarter, U1 observes A5 with a tongue stud. RULING: When the tongue stud is noticed, A5 must leave the game and may not return until the stud has been removed. There is no technical foul assessed. (3-5-8)

Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 07:23am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Ed Zackery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Stop the game, "Coach, #23 isn't ready to play. I need a sub."
This is how I handle it. I'll wait until a dead ball.

"Coach, I need another one. This one isn't ready to play."

"TWEEEET." Let's go......

I'm not holding up a game while a player fiddles with jewelry. Next time they'll know better......or not.

Several yrs ago, I had a JVB come in one game with 30 secs left. He was in the game standing in the lane to watch the second of a free throw. As the T I noticed a necklace. When the second shot went in. TWEEET. "Coach, I need another one." He went to the end of the bench and didn't come in again.

Last edited by grunewar; Sat Dec 03, 2011 at 12:33pm.
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 12:07pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
2.4.5 SITUATION B: To the referee's pregame inquiry of coaches regarding all team members being legally equipped and wearing the uniform properly, both coaches responded "yes." Three minutes into the first quarter, U1 observes A5 with a tongue stud. RULING: When the tongue stud is noticed, A5 must leave the game and may not return until the stud has been removed. There is no technical foul assessed. (3-5-8)
I see now why I didn't know about it. So then a player must also leave the court to pull his wristband down below his elbow. I'm not a fan of this.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Dec 03, 2011, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Use this as a teachable moment...You must talk to your partner(s) during pre-game warm-ups and be sure you are looking closely at each player for this very reason.
Now that it's happened to you....It'll likely never happen again.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 12:00pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
I'm not a fan of this.
So what?

We can't only enforce the rules we like. I had to deal with two fashion-police issues yesterday. They were a pain, but I dealt with them, and moved on. No big deal.
Old Sun Dec 04, 2011, 12:05pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
I see now why I didn't know about it.
Don't have a casebook?