The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jewelry during live ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83653-jewelry-during-live-ball.html)

MelbRef Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:10am

Jewelry during live ball

Coach points out that opponent has necklace on during live ball.

How best to handle?

Wait until dead ball?
Player can quickly remove and stay in the game?

No penalty?
(coach chirping that's it's a technical)

APG Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:18am

Whatever you do, know it's NOT a technical.

Ideally you catch this during a dead ball (well ideally before during warm-ups but we'll assume this player was being sneaky). If it's during a live ball, I'm not going to stop a fast break to address this. When action slows down, blow the whistle, and if it's something the player can take off real quick w/o delay, then take care of it, and play on (think a necklace). If it's something that's going to take too long to take off, then I'm asking coach for a sub.

just another ref Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:27am

To each his own. I personally, would not stop the game for a necklace, unless it featured dangling razor blades or something else obviously dangerous. Next dead ball, get rid of it.

APG Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 801511)
To each his own. I personally, would not stop the game for a necklace, unless it featured dangling razor blades or something else obviously dangerous. Next dead ball, get rid of it.

Well usually those kind of things are deemed "safety" issues and should be taken care of as soon as possible.

just another ref Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 801514)
Well usually those kind of things are deemed "safety" issues and should be taken care of as soon as possible.

I guess it depends on the item, but with most necklaces the real danger is to the necklace itself. I have told a lot of kids over the years: "If I liked that thing, I would take it off."

bainsey Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 801514)

We're instructed to get a sub for an untucked shirt (dead ball only, and I typically give them a few seconds to notice before the ball becomes live again). I have a pretty good idea that we're expected to get a sub right away for any jewelry.

APG Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 801520)
We're instructed to get a sub for an untucked shirt (dead ball only, and I typically give them a few seconds to notice before the ball becomes live again). I have a pretty good idea that we're expected to get a sub right away for any jewelry.

Yes, that's what it says in the rule/case book, but it's been my experience that no one applies the rule that way...especially in the case of an untucked jersey. In fact, I can't recall ever calling a sub for that issue (untucked jersey) but I'll admit, I'm real lenient on that issue...I just tell them to tuck their jersey in.

Adam Sat Dec 03, 2011 01:07am

Stop the game, "Coach, #23 isn't ready to play. I need a sub."

just another ref Sat Dec 03, 2011 01:21am

I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is a provision for sending a player out because of jewelry.

APG Sat Dec 03, 2011 01:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 801528)
I could be wrong, but I don't believe there is a provision for sending a player out because of jewelry.

2.4.5 SITUATION B: To the referee's pregame inquiry of coaches regarding all team members being legally equipped and wearing the uniform properly, both coaches responded "yes." Three minutes into the first quarter, U1 observes A5 with a tongue stud. RULING: When the tongue stud is noticed, A5 must leave the game and may not return until the stud has been removed. There is no technical foul assessed. (3-5-8)

grunewar Sat Dec 03, 2011 07:23am

Ed Zackery!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 801526)
Stop the game, "Coach, #23 isn't ready to play. I need a sub."

This is how I handle it. I'll wait until a dead ball.

"Coach, I need another one. This one isn't ready to play."

"TWEEEET." Let's go......

I'm not holding up a game while a player fiddles with jewelry. Next time they'll know better......or not. :rolleyes:

Several yrs ago, I had a JVB come in one game with 30 secs left. He was in the game standing in the lane to watch the second of a free throw. As the T I noticed a necklace. When the second shot went in. TWEEET. "Coach, I need another one." He went to the end of the bench and didn't come in again.

just another ref Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 801529)
2.4.5 SITUATION B: To the referee's pregame inquiry of coaches regarding all team members being legally equipped and wearing the uniform properly, both coaches responded "yes." Three minutes into the first quarter, U1 observes A5 with a tongue stud. RULING: When the tongue stud is noticed, A5 must leave the game and may not return until the stud has been removed. There is no technical foul assessed. (3-5-8)

I see now why I didn't know about it. So then a player must also leave the court to pull his wristband down below his elbow. I'm not a fan of this.

refiator Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:11pm

Use this as a teachable moment...You must talk to your partner(s) during pre-game warm-ups and be sure you are looking closely at each player for this very reason.
Now that it's happened to you....It'll likely never happen again.

bainsey Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 801584)
I'm not a fan of this.

So what?

We can't only enforce the rules we like. I had to deal with two fashion-police issues yesterday. They were a pain, but I dealt with them, and moved on. No big deal.

Welpe Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 801584)
I see now why I didn't know about it.

Don't have a casebook? ;)