The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Backcourt Violation?

Team A has the ball for a throw-in at the division line.

A1 releases the ball and it is tipped by A2 in the frontcourt (A2 has frontcourt status). A3 then jumps from the frontcourt, catches the ball and establishes player control (while in the air, both feet off the ground), then lands in the backcourt.

I know in this situation, if it had been B2 who tipped the ball instead of A2, it would be a backcourt violation.

My question is, is it a violation if it was tipped by the offense (A2) instead of the defense (B2)?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Without my book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9819 View Post

A1 releases the ball and it is tipped by A2 in the frontcourt (A2 has frontcourt status). A3 then jumps from the frontcourt, catches the ball and establishes player control (while in the air, both feet off the ground), then lands in the backcourt.

I know in this situation, if it had been B2 who tipped the ball instead of A2, it would be a backcourt violation.

My question is, is it a violation if it was tipped by the offense (A2) instead of the defense (B2)?
You got a lot happening here.

Okay upon the legal touching of the ball by either A2 or B2 the throw-in has ended. So as A3 last had front court status and control of the ball, while in the air, thus giving the ball front court status, then landing in the backcourt, we have a backcourt violation.

How did I do?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toren View Post
You got a lot happening here.

Okay upon the legal touching of the ball by either A2 or B2 the throw-in has ended. So as A3 last had front court status and control of the ball, while in the air, thus giving the ball front court status, then landing in the backcourt, we have a backcourt violation.

How did I do?
As much as I dislike this ruling, you are correct.

The exception for the throwin ends when the ball is touched inbounds. Only the first player to touch the ball has the freedom to have jumped from the frontcourt, catch the ball, and land in the backcourt.

If I were writing the rule, I'd have the exception apply until a layer gains PC and lands (or passes the ball before landing) without regard to how many times it is tipped (or by who).
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
How did I do?
You got it right!
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Touch doesn't equal control by A2. The ball doesn't have FC status till it is control, does it?
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave9819 View Post

If you know that it's a violation in the case of B2 tipping the ball, then logic most certainly tells you that it's also a violation if you swap A2 for B2.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Touch doesn't equal control by A2. The ball doesn't have FC status till it is control, does it?
Yes, but A2 wasn't the last one to touch the ball with front court status. Read the original post again.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
Quote:
Yes, but A2 wasn't the last one to touch the ball with front court status. Read the original post again.
Not true. The ball obtains its status based upon what it is touching or where it last touched a player or the floor. So if the ball is touched by a player who is in the frontcourt, then the ball gains frontcourt status. Refer to ball location in rule 4.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Not true. The ball obtains its status based upon what it is touching or where it last touched a player or the floor. So if the ball is touched by a player who is in the frontcourt, then the ball gains frontcourt status. Refer to ball location in rule 4.
Refer to rule 9-9-3. The original post is talking about a division line throw in.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Refer to rule 9-9-3. The original post is talking about a division line throw in.
Yes -- but so what? The ball still has FC status when it's touched in the FC.

That's 1 of the 4 criteria for a BC violation. Since it was a throw-in another of the 4 wasn't met, so no violation.
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

9.9.1 SITUATION D: Team A is awarded a throw-in near the division line. A1's
throw-in is deflected by B1; A2 jumps from Team A’s frontcourt, catches the ball in the air and lands in the backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. The throw-in ends when it is legally touched by B1. A2 gains player and team control in the air after having left the floor from Team A’s frontcourt, therefore having frontcourt status. As soon as A2 lands in the backcourt, he/she has committed a backcourt violation. The exception granted during a throw-in ends when the throw-in ends and is only for the player making the initial touch on the ball. (9-9-3)

See Throw-in/Backcourt violation?
This created alot of discussion, thus the following year these plays were listed in the interps for IAABO and NFHS. The above play became a case book play. The new team control rule does not effect the play.