It is OK to fumble-dribble-fumble.
It is not OK to dribble-fumble-dribble.

Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: This is a coach saying this???

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Once again I am simply stunned by your rules knowledge. Be careful, they won't let you coach anymore if you can't fail the rules test!
Thanks, but don't be stunned. Just credit the experienced people on this board with having provided me a free rules clinic for the last few years. I wasn't here knowledge wise three years ago. By staying around this group, I continue to get a lot of knowledge of the nuances of these rules and how different people cna read them.

I also think there are lots of coaches that have pretty solid rules knowledge, and you probably don't hear as much from them. The louder they are, the less they know in my experience. And we all get some things wrong - just look at the number of refs, coaches and fans that come on looking for guidance, and turn out to have mis-understood a rule.

I owned (and opened) NFHS rule books for several years before coming on the board, but have learned much more since getting into the discussions. The rules are easier to understand once you know how to read them.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

And his response is better than what usually happens, like when I have a player fumble on the pick-up of a dribble and they get called for DD. You ask about a fumble and all you get is the blank stare, as though they really don't know there is a rule on that.
Coach, you're more knowledgable than you give yourself credit for. At a recent girls state tournament game, I had this exact thing happen. Two-person mechanics and I was trail. The girl went to end her dribble around the top of the key and fumbled the ball so I called nothing. Unfortunately my partner (yes, even at the state tournament some officials fish in your pond at times) decided to call a double dribble from the baseline as lead. It was a blowout game so I decided to just go with the flow and head the other way. On my evaluations, three of my four evaluators had a clue and wrote down, "your partner shouldn't have made that call." Unfortunately, one of the evaluators wrote down, "you missed an obvious double-dribble right in front of you and your parnter had to call it." This evaluator had been a ref for 30 years. Yikes.

Z
Old Thu Apr 24, 2003, 04:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
The girl went to end her dribble around the top of the key and fumbled the ball so I called nothing. Unfortunately my partner (yes, even at the state tournament some officials fish in your pond at times) decided to call a double dribble from the baseline as lead.

...three of my four evaluators had a clue and wrote down, "your partner shouldn't have made that call." Z
Could you please clarify whether these three evaluators wrote this because they believed that this wasn't a double dribble and shouldn't have been called at all or because they knew the play was not in your partner's area and that is why he shouldn't have made that call?
The crux of the situation was that this was not a double dribble. So the reasoning behind what these evaluators wrote is more important than what they wrote.
The comment you passed along seems ambiguous to me.
Old Fri Apr 25, 2003, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Nevadaref,

The other three evaluators indicated that it wasn't a double dribble and that my partner should not have been looking in my area.

Z
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Nevadaref,

The other three evaluators indicated that it wasn't a double dribble and that my partner should not have been looking in my area.

Z
FANTASTIC!