View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: This is a coach saying this???

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Once again I am simply stunned by your rules knowledge. Be careful, they won't let you coach anymore if you can't fail the rules test!
Thanks, but don't be stunned. Just credit the experienced people on this board with having provided me a free rules clinic for the last few years. I wasn't here knowledge wise three years ago. By staying around this group, I continue to get a lot of knowledge of the nuances of these rules and how different people cna read them.

I also think there are lots of coaches that have pretty solid rules knowledge, and you probably don't hear as much from them. The louder they are, the less they know in my experience. And we all get some things wrong - just look at the number of refs, coaches and fans that come on looking for guidance, and turn out to have mis-understood a rule.

I owned (and opened) NFHS rule books for several years before coming on the board, but have learned much more since getting into the discussions. The rules are easier to understand once you know how to read them.