View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

And his response is better than what usually happens, like when I have a player fumble on the pick-up of a dribble and they get called for DD. You ask about a fumble and all you get is the blank stare, as though they really don't know there is a rule on that.
Coach, you're more knowledgable than you give yourself credit for. At a recent girls state tournament game, I had this exact thing happen. Two-person mechanics and I was trail. The girl went to end her dribble around the top of the key and fumbled the ball so I called nothing. Unfortunately my partner (yes, even at the state tournament some officials fish in your pond at times) decided to call a double dribble from the baseline as lead. It was a blowout game so I decided to just go with the flow and head the other way. On my evaluations, three of my four evaluators had a clue and wrote down, "your partner shouldn't have made that call." Unfortunately, one of the evaluators wrote down, "you missed an obvious double-dribble right in front of you and your parnter had to call it." This evaluator had been a ref for 30 years. Yikes.

Z