The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Don't worry so much about withholding your whistle, I mean, you've got a play coming hard right at you. Your instinct is always going to be ready to hit the whistle. What you have to be ready to withold is a preliminary signal depending on what you've discussed in your pre-game as to who is going to take the call. In our area, on a drive from the Trail we give the L the greater responsibility if he has the better look/location of the play.
Yeah, I see nothing wrong with the L having a double whistle in the paint.
__________________
I gotta new attitude!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Count you're blessings.
I do. I love being the C.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 03:01pm
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwatson View Post
My problem is with being L. I have a real hard time holding my whistle when players are driving to the basket from either T's or C's area. Any advice on this? Said that like I have done it a lot, truth is I have my first 3 man non scrim game this Thursday, hoping to get it all straight in my brain before that.
If a play is coming from the C's side, and you are looking at it, the possibility exists that nobody is looking at the players in your primary. And, one of those players in your primary could slide over as a secondary defender. When/if this happens, it is a possibility that you will not be ready for it because you are looking at the offensive player (this is the way I'm imagining what you said).

I would suggest engaging in discussions during pregame that focus on staying engaged at the T, watching secondary defenders at the L, etc. You may hear some things from your partners that set the tone for your crew that night and give you some insight as to what they are looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
Don't worry so much about withholding your whistle, I mean, you've got a play coming hard right at you. Your instinct is always going to be ready to hit the whistle. What you have to be ready to withold is a preliminary signal depending on what you've discussed in your pre-game as to who is going to take the call. In our area, on a drive from the Trail we give the L the greater responsibility if he has the better look/location of the play.
Every play should be judged individually, but I don't think the highlighted areas will necessarily lead to consistent success as a crew.

  1. You will have several plays coming at you as the L from the C. The C is there to see the play start, develop and finish. I would suggest giving him/her the opportunity to do that. My statement is assuming we are talking about routine plays. When plays involve secondary defenders, plays that the C clearly cannot see (looking through bodies) or non-basketball acts things are different.
  2. Every place I've been, the outside officials withhold a preliminary on block/charge plays where there is a double whistle. Having said that, see #1 for plays from the C's side.
  3. The T should stay engaged to plays that start from his/her primary going to the hoop. Plays may start and develop in the T's area. The L would only see the finish and may not have the best crack at calling the play correctly.
None of this is absolute one way or the other. However, it is hard to get consistent results without a consistent approach.
__________________
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mentor, Ohio
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post



Every play should be judged individually, but I don't think the highlighted areas will necessarily lead to consistent success as a crew.

  1. You will have several plays coming at you as the L from the C. The C is there to see the play start, develop and finish. I would suggest giving him/her the opportunity to do that. My statement is assuming we are talking about routine plays. When plays involve secondary defenders, plays that the C clearly cannot see (looking through bodies) or non-basketball acts things are different.

    I agree. My comment concerned a drive from Trail to Lead. From C to L what you said is very true. The Lead needs to watch secondary defenders from his PCA moving into the C's area to defend.
  2. The T should stay engaged to plays that start from his/her primary going to the hoop.
    Plays may start and develop in the T's area.

    The T takes the call in his area.


    The L would only see the finish and may not have the best crack at calling the play correctly.

    Not necessarily. The T may not have the best look at callling the play correctly from back where he is as well.

However, it is hard to get consistent results without a consistent approach.


That's why our state association wants us to have the L take greater responsibility from T to L, to establish a consistent approach. Either way is okay, but so that everyone is on the same page statewide let's do it one way. Plays from T to L were getting screwed up in tournaments because officials were taking the approach they were used to in regular season. So hopefully, as you said, a consistent approach will get us more consistent results.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old Tue Dec 06, 2011, 05:47pm
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
[/b]

That's why our state association wants us to have the L take greater responsibility from T to L, to establish a consistent approach. Either way is okay, but so that everyone is on the same page statewide let's do it one way. Plays from T to L were getting screwed up in tournaments because officials were taking the approach they were used to in regular season. So hopefully, as you said, a consistent approach will get us more consistent results.
...and that is what matters the most.
__________________
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to Get Yourself in Trouble MadCityRef Baseball 14 Tue Feb 13, 2007 08:51am
How to get in trouble.... kono Softball 5 Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:57am
trouble with the law messkin Basketball 10 Fri Feb 06, 2004 01:38am
Been in trouble? BktBallRef Basketball 33 Mon Jan 19, 2004 09:51am
You know you're in trouble when... rainmaker Basketball 9 Fri Dec 29, 2000 12:57pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1